Flat trigger?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    One of the sort-of benefits of the pandemic is that cheap guns are selling for stupid money, while the more expensive guns haven't moved much in price.

So, I sold two of my very basic spare Glocks and scooped up this P320 Legion X5. I've had a love/hate relationship with Sig over the years and I still question how a gun with such a complicated trigger group could have beaten Glock in the military trials ... but I also got a decent deal on this, and I always love an opportunity to trade up.

Here's my question: what's the deal with the flat trigger? It seems to be the rage right now, but it feels a bit odd ... not quite 1911-like, and certainly not like the more conventional curved triggers that I'm used to.

Mike

attachment.php

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Sig Did Not Beat Glock. The trials were cancelled before completion due to the low bid from Sig.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Some people like flat triggers. I have heard they allow for consistent finger placement, among other reasons. I don’t care for them or find them advantageous in any capacity. Unlike a 1911 with a flat trigger, it’s still a hinged trigger, flat or not.

At the end of the day, it’s a preference. If someone can quantify that they shoot better with one, rock on.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    FWIW, I shot a few of the X-Series guns and while the break and weight of the triggers were fine, the overly wide trigger did feel weird. Even on other guns with flat triggers, the width isn’t nearly as wide as those X series P320’s.

Gray Guns sells an adjustable curved trigger if you decide to replace it.

grayguns-p320-hybrid-trigger-101.jpg

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have a complete Gray Guns trigger in a P320 Pro and it is nice for range work.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks guys, I have to admit that it felt a bit gimmicky to me, but I'm going to keep the stock flat trigger on it and see if I get used to it.

That said, it's a nice range gun. Clean and crisp break with a very audible reset. And the weighted polymer frame (tungsten infused?) does a nice job of absorbing recoil.

Mike

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The benefit if a flat trigger is the potential for a lighter perceived pull weight. Finger placement on a curved trigger is usually in the apex of the curve, which is about the halfway point, but with a straight trigger you can place your finger further toward the end where there’s better leverage.
    A flat trigger is just a better lever.
    I still prefer a curved trigger

Best vid I could find at the moment, but it states the case in the first 20 seconds

https://youtu.be/wzStsh5mmgk

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The benefit if a flat trigger is the potential for a lighter perceived pull weight. Finger placement on a curved trigger is usually in the apex of the curve, which is about the halfway point, but with a straight trigger you can place your finger further toward the end where there’s better leverage.

Interesting point, and thanks for posting the video.

By moving your finger down, you would change the perceived weight ... but you'd also increase the travel needed to break the trigger.

Thanks. I'll play with that the next time I have this out at the range.

Mike

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Flat triggers are novel to me. Think about a trigger, it is simply a lever. Curved triggers are natural, they fit the finger well. Why curved triggers have existed for what 140+ years on firearms in the US? The human finger is well...curved or cylindrical in shape.

Enter a flat trigger. Less contact area to the finger. Increased pressure @ that contact point. Your finger ends up on the trigger where it feels right with your grip @ the end of the day.

I have a flat trigger on my Canik SFX, by aftermarket supplier Freedomsmith. It works well, redesigned from the factory trigger for way less take up motion, CNC'd in aluminum. And I also changed a couple springs and did a light polish on some of the internal metal linkage surfaces. Measured pull before and after changes. Ended up @ 3 lbs with very little take up and over travel motion.

I also have a 3 lb Velocity curved trigger module in one of my ARs. Had two but recently sold one of the rifles. Tom and his gang produce a wonderful product, and I am a big fan of their product. Very reasonable price, like $145 shipped, or was. Tom Vehr worked @ Timney for years then left to do his own thing. @ a lower cost too.

Curved just feels better to me, imo. Curved finger, curved trigger. Better fit, self aligning finger position pretty much every time.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Yup, yup and yup yup.
    I still prefer a curved trigger.
    I don’t mind a 4 pound single action pull on a pistol.
    But I don’t want the same trigger or even the same pull weight on everything I shoot. While a 1/2 ounce electronic trigger is nice on a benchrest air rifle, I don’t want that on much of anything else.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I pull from the lower half of the trigger on pistols and prefer the flat triggers.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have a flat trigger on one of CZ’s that used for competition and another with a traditional curved trigger. Honestly I never noticed enough difference in how i scored with them to make either trigger better to me.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have a flat trigger on one of CZ’s that used for competition and another with a traditional curved trigger. Honestly I never noticed enough difference in how i scored with them to make either trigger better to me.

Dave

I have a scar on my trigger finger and the curved triggers with a thin built in trigger safety aggravate it more than the flat triggers with a wider trigger safety.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have a scar on my trigger finger and the curved triggers with a thin built in trigger safety aggravate it more than the flat triggers with a wider trigger safety.

That definitely makes sense for you to have a preference more than me.

Dave

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Well, got some stuff in just in time for the weekend so I’ll be seeing what’s what. My first order from Tandem Kross and they had a lot of interesting parts. I’ve used Volquartsen parts a lot over the years for the Ruger .22’s, so I’m trying their combo, a Volquartsen accurizing kit and a TK Victory trigger in one of my 22/45 lite pistols. I’m all set. Bench is clear and plenty of beer on standby. Just work on guns all weekend. Yup.
    Anybody here got this set up? Was it worth the time and money? Of my Ruger standard collection, the 22/45’s and one very old standard are the only ones I haven’t replaced trigger parts in and the only thing lacking from my viewpoint so I’m hoping for the best. I hear a lot of good about Tandem Kross but again, my first experience with their stuff.
    603f03dc49cc12531b0298ab0cde9990.jpg

2140e1580a7172f39bf997eb593d6c34.jpg

0cb2eb70b23fda94242ebcead2301999.jpg

bab621840a99c3ea7e854a2992e96397.jpg

503af0f57008175bc1f874792c0b98f8.jpg

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Well it got done between all else I had planned today. Replaced most of the internals on the lower half and it’s not for the novice. Also, anyone considering this route for any of the Ruger standards I’ll say that Volquartsen and Tandem Kross both should work on their support for all of the pistols they sell parts for. Otherwise, I managed and man was it ever worth it. Butter smooth feel that goes well with the extremely light weight package. Got the travel screws set where I want them and I’ve yet to check with the pull gauge but I almost don’t wanna know. It feels perfect.
    c4ad55f305a8c09d81e75069ac2dc0b5.jpg

This kit replaces the trigger bar, hammer, hammer bushing, sear, sear spring, and deletes the mag disconnect and a couple other parts. Whether or not I go with a $45 flat trigger in my other 22/45, I will definitely be dropping the Volquartsen kit it it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom