Canik handguns anybody?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Anyone here drinking the kool-aid yet?
    I mean, what’s not to like, right?
    A CZ 75 with a lot better price tag plus extras.

I’ve purchased 5 over the past few years, ever since I took a chance on the first one when they hit the market and I’m sold. I’m thinking I may eventually purchase another TP in a different configuration, but for now I’m just enjoying them, shooting and modding.

I recently ordered a few OEM improvements (extended mag and slide release, warren sights) and they were low priced and so was the shipping. They seem to offer a lot of support as well. I’ve logged close to 1000 rounds from my first one without any issues and I see the price point still remains very close to the price I paid for my first one a few years ago. ($289 vs $329) and the last one I bought a month ago cost me about $350 shipped and came with a pretty nice amount of kit.
    Anyway, just in case anyone here hasn’t found them yet, I believe they’ll eventually find a higher price point and I’m glad I got in on the lower end.
    They’re great pistols, regardless of the smaller price tag.
    This one came with two 18 round mags, holster, mag loader. A couple I’ve ordered in the past came with 3 mags. There are also 20 round bumper mags available.
    1486aa294a849c1aefb8bf6fe6450f6f.jpg

3b325e01749c93b7d411f52d73f8c7a7.jpg

20fc953cc1f3001cc8213328d693da9c.jpg

Last edited:

Csparnecht

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    metairie
    I bought a TP9 SFx when it came out for like 400.00 even, and I absolutely love this gun. I have had zero issues and my wife really enjoys shooting with it.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I have owned a TP9SFX for a couple years now. Put a Burris red dot on it first, then came a Freedomsmith trigger (removes 98% of the factory take up) and a couple replacement action springs. It was cool on day one, now its really cool. A fine accurate reliable shooting machine @ the range. The factory Canik trigger feels better than a G34 right out of the box imo. I briefly swapped weapons @ Bedico range with a guy shooting a G34 one of my earlier trips. Buyers/users praise the factory Canik trigger in reviews on line. Very happy with mine, and I recently sold my CZ Shadow 2. The S2 is still the best crafted factory pistol I ever held in my hands, but it was almost twice the cost of my SFX. My SFX is now my exclusive 9mm ammo eating target range high speed tool now.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    There is a dedicated Canik owners forum on the web if you go search for it. Loaded with great info, mods, parts, user input and competition reports, pics, videos. You name it.

Also Canik USA has outstanding support for the pistols and their owners. Caniks are manufactured in Turkey and are imported here.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I sell the sh!t out of them. We just got in some more of the optics equipped models with the vortex red dot, salient barrel and triggers....pretty badass little package.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    How do the triggers compare to a Glock? I've carried a Glock for a number of years and have gotten quite used to them. Any time I've looked to branch out, I've ended up getting rid of the non-Glock. I got a Ruger LCP to have a small backup gun but I didn't shoot it much before going out and getting a Glock 43. I was used to the trigger reset of a Glock and the LCP had too long of a reset.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    How do the triggers compare to a Glock? I've carried a Glock for a number of years and have gotten quite used to them. Any time I've looked to branch out, I've ended up getting rid of the non-Glock. I got a Ruger LCP to have a small backup gun but I didn't shoot it much before going out and getting a Glock 43. I was used to the trigger reset of a Glock and the LCP had too long of a reset.

Same exact thing happened with me and my LCP.
    Liked my Glock triggers better so at first I bought a 42 then bought a 43 and use that one mostly since it really isn't that much larger than the 42.
    I also have a p365 that is in the same ballpark but I find I am much more familiar with the Glocks so it doesn't get much carry time.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Oh yeah, and to keep it on topic, the Canik looks to be a nice pistol at a great price.
    Might just pick one up.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I have a TP9SF. Great gun. Cycles everything, accurate, great trigger. The only thing I ever worry about with the Canik is long-term parts support.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My only experience with Canik is with the TP9SF Elite pistols. One had issues with the magazines hanging up on the mag release. Possibly a one off issue. They are right under the price point of a Blue Label/GSSF Glock. The cheaper models are priced to compete with Taurus. I would still prefer a trade-in Glock over one if that was my price range.

Haven't heard much good or bad.

The only thing I ever worry about with the Canik is long-term parts support.

That's a valid concern. IIRC, these are imported by Century.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have a TP9SF. Great gun. Cycles everything, accurate, great trigger. The only thing I ever worry about with the Canik is long-term parts support.

I had that very same thought. I ordered heavy on what I saw for small parts off the Canik website a couple months ago. Prices were very reasonable, way better than Beretta, which is what I shoot and have done the most upkeep on.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    There is a dedicated Canik owners forum on the web if you go search for it. Loaded with great info, mods, parts, user input and competition reports, pics, videos. You name it.

Also Canik USA has outstanding support for the pistols and their owners. Caniks are manufactured in Turkey and are imported here.
    Thanks John. Gonna check them out. Looking at the aftermarket stuff and I may just do a trigger swap on one to see, but I’ve been quite happy with the factory lever.

Same exact thing happened with me and my LCP.
    Liked my Glock triggers better so at first I bought a 42 then bought a 43 and use that one mostly since it really isn't that much larger than the 42.
    I also have a p365 that is in the same ballpark but I find I am much more familiar with the Glocks so it doesn't get much carry time.
    Yeah, I always thought it was a shame that Ruger couldn’t have done a better job on the LC triggers. I briefly owned a LC9 with that quarter mile take up. Same goes for the Springfield XD compact I have. It’s prolly next on my chopping block.
    Every glock I’ve ever owned got a trigger upgrade pretty early in the game except for my most recent purchase. JB just did a 23 for me and I’ll likely bring him my 20 soon.

I actually like the Canik triggers as they are. The reset is pretty short for factory and I find the pull weight to be right in the sweet spot. I’d prefer a 4 pound trigger with less travel on take up and reset than a 2 pounder that keeps me guessing. The Canik is very predictable to me.
    The FDE pistol pictured (looks OD green don’t it?) is one I bought from a member here. Not sure which trigger is in it but I like it.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    62e7e6fd00bddc06fdb0c4352153510f.jpg

771ce69a08a04a77f14760d54e1920f7.jpg

Reading a piece about all the CZ clones out there. Dig the pronunciation of the name Canik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I just purchased a TP9 SF elite last week. I’ll be shooting it for the first time tomorrow morning. I’ve heard nothing but great things about them it almost seems too good to be true. I guess I’ll know after tomorrow lol.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Anyone know where to get accessories for them? Other than magazines I can’t find a whole lot in stock online. The canik US website is pretty much sold out of everything

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Anyone know where to get accessories for them? Other than magazines I can’t find a whole lot in stock online. The canik US website is pretty much sold out of everything
    I just got a few parts in this week from their website. Extended mag release and slide release. Only thing I saw them out of was mags.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I own a Canik TP9SA and it cycles flawlessly. I don't know any other way to say it, so I'll just say it, "It's a pretty gun". I like the lines and edges on it. The weight and balance I find excellent. I haven't fired it a lot, only because I have several other guns I typically shoot. It's a great gun, and I agree; it'll go up in price as they become more popular and more people begin looking into them. The Turks make a good gun. It's only fairly recently, 7 or 8 years I guess they've had importers. They make a good shotgun as well, at a more than fair price.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Went to bayou dragon on Saturday and put 150 rounds through my new canik tp9 sf elite. So far I’m a believer. I had a hard time buying into all of the hype but after shooting it I was highly impressed. The Warren tactical sights were dead on out of the box no adjustments required whatsoever. Not a single hiccup. I shot 124gr fmj and 147gr American Eagle flat nose. I plan on going back this weekend to about another 150 rounds through it of strictly 115gr ammo. I’ve seen a couple reports of people having hiccups with 115gr. I also hear canik recommends 124gr ammo or higher but I can’t find that information only word of mouth.

Top Bottom