Canik handguns anybody?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Tried one once at sbisc and it was nice. Trigger felt light, had a lot of features like optic cut etc right out of the box and can be had for 400 or so dollars

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Went to bayou dragon on Saturday and put 150 rounds through my new canik tp9 sf elite. So far I’m a believer. I had a hard time buying into all of the hype but after shooting it I was highly impressed. The Warren tactical sights were dead on out of the box no adjustments required whatsoever. Not a single hiccup. I shot 124gr fmj and 147gr American Eagle flat nose. I plan on going back this weekend to about another 150 rounds through it of strictly 115gr ammo. I’ve seen a couple reports of people having hiccups with 115gr. I also hear canik recommends 124gr ammo or higher but I can’t find that information only word of mouth.
    Good deal.
    I’ve fired mostly 115gr federal bulk ammo in brass and aluminum case in my Caniks and no issues to date. I’ve done test runs with defensive ammo of various loads in my compact and one of the full size with 100% reliability on a full mag. I’ve done zero polishing or any other prep other than adequate lube.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I bought 2 FSx's when they first came out. One I put a Vortex Viper, the other just irons. I changed the trigger, added a magwell and mag extensions. Polished the action and shot a few matches with them. I still prefer my CZ TSO and my M&P's but for the money you can't beat them.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I bought 2 FSx's when they first came out. One I put a Vortex Viper, the other just irons. I changed the trigger, added a magwell and mag extensions. Polished the action and shot a few matches with them. I still prefer my CZ TSO and my M&P's but for the money you can't beat them.

That's an opinion and overall first hand experience ↑ you can take to the bank imo.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Not to mention so easy to disassemble and clean. Just cleaned and lubed my SFX after approx 500 rounds. Shot low cost Wolf steel case thru her yesterday, the SFX ate it like anything else. One FTF in 150 rounds from a hard primer, second lick ignited it. Range practice ammo.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Not to mention so easy to disassemble and clean. Just cleaned and lubed my SFX after approx 500 rounds. Shot low cost Wolf steel case thru her yesterday, the SFX ate it like anything else. One FTF in 150 rounds from a hard primer, second lick ignited it. Range practice ammo.
    I’ve had 100% reliability with the Winchester ‘Forged’ steel case. Nearly 2 of the 150 round boxes went fast that day, lol.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I’ve had 100% reliability with the Winchester ‘Forged’ steel case. Nearly 2 of the 150 round boxes went fast that day, lol.

According to an older Academy listing, the Winchester steel case 9mm is made in the USA. And they sold it for 22 cents a round when it was in stock. The Wolf I shot yesterday def had some snap to it vs the S&G brass case I mostly shoot. The Wolf is a wee bit dirtier too, but it'll work.

Win steel 9mm is manufactured in Oxford MS, right next door: https://www.gunsandammo.com/editori...nod to recreational,made in the United States.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    According to an older Academy listing, the Winchester steel case 9mm is made in the USA. And they sold it for 22 cents a round when it was in stock. The Wolf I shot yesterday def had some snap to it vs the S&G brass case I mostly shoot. The Wolf is a wee bit dirtier too, but it'll work.

Win steel 9mm is manufactured in Oxford MS, right next door: https://www.gunsandammo.com/editori...nod to recreational,made in the United States.

Yeah, way cleaner than any eastern bloc steel case. Smells better fired too. Some of that stuff chokes me out and burns my eyes.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans

I’ve had some issues with the winchester steel feeding in double-stack mags... it shoots great if I can get it chambered but I’ve had a helluva time actually getting it into the gun. It’s got a rough/unfinished casing to it, and the rounds seem to bind up way down inside the mags about 1/4 of the time for me. Not sure if they’re getting stuck on the steel mag walls or each other or what, but they run perfectly in single stacks and endomags. For the price, not worth losing any sleep over.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’ve had some issues with the winchester steel feeding in double-stack mags... it shoots great if I can get it chambered but I’ve had a helluva time actually getting it into the gun. It’s got a rough/unfinished casing to it, and the rounds seem to bind up way down inside the mags about 1/4 of the time for me. Not sure if they’re getting stuck on the steel mag walls or each other or what, but they run perfectly in single stacks and endomags. For the price, not worth losing any sleep over.

I noticed the case doesn’t have the slick poly coating I see on other steel cased ammo, but haven’t run into the issue you describe. I was shooting the most recent TP9 I purchased with a handful of factory 18 round mags. I haven’t tried the ammo in anything else. I wonder if the rounds are sticking to each other when squeezed together in the mag. Maybe they don’t mesh well together.
    With a double stack mag, as he spring and follower push the rounds up in the mag, they make contact with one another. Same goes for the bolt peeling each round off the mag. There’s contact with the round underneath and with the feed lips. If the case surface is too rough I could see that being a problem.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Just picked up a sfx after reading these posts. Looking forward to trying it out!
    I went and shot a couple that were unfired Wednesday and couldn’t get enough. Not a single hiccup in over 400 rounds of ball and 60 rounds of a couple different HP’s between the two. I shot every bullet I brought with me.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I finally got to shoot my Canik TP9SFx Christmas day. Dayum I love that gun. 16 out of 18 A zone hits and 2 low C hits. The grouping was pretty tight as well for off-hand shots. This was the first mag fired through the pistol and I have to say I was impressed. I have to get used to the trigger though I am not letting it slack enough to reset correctly but the even muzzle flip seemed to be less than my M&P.

I think I might have the Combat Elite in my future.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I finally got to shoot my Canik TP9SFx Christmas day. Dayum I love that gun. 16 out of 18 A zone hits and 2 low C hits. The grouping was pretty tight as well for off-hand shots. This was the first mag fired through the pistol and I have to say I was impressed. I have to get used to the trigger though I am not letting it slack enough to reset correctly but the even muzzle flip seemed to be less than my M&P.

I think I might have the Combat Elite in my future.
    I hear ya bro. I finally got both of mine in that model set up like I want with extended slide release and mag release. Parts are easy to get and low priced. I can see a combat elite in my future as well.

IJS

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've definitely been preaching the gospel of Canik for awhile now actually. I purchased a TP9sfx about 6 or 7 months ago and was extremely impressed with not only the gun itself which I could rant and rave about all day, but just everything you get for the price (especially at that time). What a deal.

Their machining is exceptional, triggers are comparable to CZ's and very affordable. I dont think you can go wrong with a Canik.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I've definitely been preaching the gospel of Canik for awhile now actually. I purchased a TP9sfx about 6 or 7 months ago and was extremely impressed with not only the gun itself which I could rant and rave about all day, but just everything you get for the price (especially at that time). What a deal.

Their machining is exceptional, triggers are comparable to CZ's and very affordable. I dont think you can go wrong with a Canik.
    Agreed. I think they’re the best CZ copy out there.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Anyone know if Caniks will take any other guns magazines? I know they are made by mec gar and look extremely similar to some magazines I have for other guns but still won’t fit.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Anyone know if Caniks will take any other guns magazines? I know they are made by mec gar and look extremely similar to some magazines I have for other guns but still won’t fit.
    The Canik mags work in the Taurus G2C if you ever wanna go from 12 to 18. I did not read that somewhere. I discovered that on my own.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    The Canik mags work in the Taurus G2C if you ever wanna go from 12 to 18. I did not read that somewhere. I discovered that on my own.
    That’s odd because I tried the Canik mags in the G3C and vice versa and they fit but wouldn’t lock in. I decided to try it because they are almost identical.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom