Holster's local

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Any local shops in the Orleans area that have a wide selection of holsters that I could go look at and possibly try? Maybe even have someone that is knowledgeable, would know what to recommend and explain? This is a first for me. Do I bring my handgun with me?

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Get one made for you. Look up SCK Holsters. http://sckholsters.com/

Trust me. If you start trying production holsters you are going to end up with a box of unused holsters.

Have you decided how you are planning to carry? Concealed/open? IWB/OWB? What position around your body.

Last edited:

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Get one made for you. Look up SCK Holsters. http://sckholsters.com/

Trust me. If you start trying production holsters you are going to end up with a box of unused holsters.

Have you decided how you are planning to carry? Concealed/open? IWB/OWB? What position around your body.

I have been on his website. What are the differences between just ordering from him and production? Aren't both pre made?
    I do want to support the locals and more then likely will order from him. Just curious is all. These caught my eye.

https://comp-tac.com/holsters/conce...x-carrt/?_bc_fsnf=1&Glock=43+/+43X&Make=Glock

I plan on conceal as soon as i get my permit. At this point I only plan on carrying for when I do my work. I feel appendix carry would be the best for me.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    i would go sck holsters all the way... he makes each one to order and has and have never waited more than 2-3 days for it to be shipped from order date... hes super fast, great product, and supporting the locals.. A+++ in my book, text or call him with any questions, he will walk you though all the options and you can figure out whats best for you

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    3 he has done for me

RH IWB glock 19/17 with tlr-1HL worn at 4:00
    RH IWB glock 19 with tlr7 flex worn at 4:00
    RH IWB glock 26 apendix carry

Attachments

• 543F9E89-D2F0-4B63-BBE7-B4790BEB0545.jpg
      543F9E89-D2F0-4B63-BBE7-B4790BEB0545.jpg
      261.4 KB · Views: 182
    • 864B452A-683C-489A-BE59-58D921922DE9.jpg
      864B452A-683C-489A-BE59-58D921922DE9.jpg
      262.9 KB · Views: 191
    • 3C0F8A18-BF53-47B1-8C37-C8253AC96691.jpg
      3C0F8A18-BF53-47B1-8C37-C8253AC96691.jpg
      209.4 KB · Views: 152
    • 691EA75B-3A90-4942-A342-DD6E4C8A8EB1.jpg
      691EA75B-3A90-4942-A342-DD6E4C8A8EB1.jpg
      204 KB · Views: 162
    Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    i would go sck holsters all the way... he makes each one to order and has and have never waited more than 2-3 days for it to be shipped from order date... hes super fast, great product, and supporting the locals.. A+++ in my book

What he said. SCK is Jasarii on this forum and has done about 3 dozen holsters for me.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have been on his website. What are the differences between just ordering from him and production? Aren't both pre made?
    I do want to support the locals and more then likely will order from him. Just curious is all. These caught my eye.

https://comp-tac.com/holsters/conce...x-carrt/?_bc_fsnf=1&Glock=43+/+43X&Make=Glock

I plan on conceal as soon as i get my permit. At this point I only plan on carrying for when I do my work. I feel appendix carry would be the best for me.

If you’re planning to appendix carry a 43X, you would benefit from using a 48 length holster.

My personal recommendation would be a Henry Holsters Flint with Discreet Carry Concepts Mod 4 clips, but if you want local, Will can be whip up something similar. The Henry Holsters Modwing or Dark Star Gear Darkwing in conjunction with DCC Mod 4 clips is a winner.

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana

There are some production holsters (Comp-tac) that are good to go. I use one for my 3-gun holster. There are plenty of other brands like that but I would not consider them "production" in that they are not generally stocked in stores but can be ordered off the internet. If you go to Academy or somewhere like that you will get brands like Fobus and Blackhawk which generally won't give you the best fit. Having one made means that it is built for your specific gun and if it matters to you, you have a choice of colors and designs.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    If you’re planning to appendix carry a 43X, you would benefit from using a 48 length holster.

My personal recommendation would be a Henry Holsters Flint with Discreet Carry Concepts Mod 4 clips, but if you want local, Will can be whip up something similar. The Henry Holsters Modwing or Dark Star Gear Darkwing in conjunction with DCC Mod 4 clips is a winner.

those are some nice mod wings/setups... me being a smaller frame fella i find the bigger the mod wing the harder it is for me to be comfortable with it.. Im 5'5" 145lbs and wear a 31x30 pants when i carry.. it just seams like it takes up to much real estate for my body type.. but i would suggest a mod wing of some sorts, it deff kicks in the butt of the gun and helps with concelment

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    i all so much rather a high sweat guard... plus makes it easier to re holster for me that is... just food for thought

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    those are some nice mod wings/setups... me being a smaller frame fella i find the bigger the mod wing the harder it is for me to be comfortable with it.. Im 5'5" 145lbs and wear a 31x30 pants when i carry.. it just seams like it takes up to much real estate for my body type.. but i would suggest a mod wing of some sorts, it deff kicks in the butt of the gun and helps with concelment

Mod Wing's are made by Henry Holsters. People use the term Wing or Claw to distinguish what piece of the holster they are talking about.

The Mod Wing, both in the standard configuration and light bearing configuration, is designed to tuck close to the holster body. If someone is making holsters and the Mod Wing sticks out further, they are not installing the Mod Wing as it was designed to be used.

19-scaled.jpg

henry-holsters-aiwb-iwb-holster-review.jpg

Wing or Claw attachments that do take up a lot of space are similar to the Raven Concealment Systems Eidolon Claw, which was designed to create a wider surface area and use leverage to push the grip inwards. Examples of this can be seen on the Comptac holsters that were shared earlier in this thread. Having used dozens of holster types and accessories, the Henry Mod Wings and Dark Star Gear Dark Wings work very well and keep the overall holster footprint smaller.

This is a direct comparison of the Dark Star Gear Darkwing and RCS VG Claw.

MF7A5780.jpg

MF7A2036.jpg

There are other types of wings and claws as well.

DSC2955.jpg

IMG_5758__17859.1516040037.jpg

_C756SW143RBKN_Shield_9__42309.1537557657.jpg

crux_hardware.webp

A01-phe_ste_web.jpg

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La

Wouldn't the 48 be longer and take up more space? What would the benefit be?

There are some production holsters (Comp-tac) that are good to go. I use one for my 3-gun holster. There are plenty of other brands like that but I would not consider them "production" in that they are not generally stocked in stores but can be ordered off the internet. If you go to Academy or somewhere like that you will get brands like Fobus and Blackhawk which generally won't give you the best fit. Having one made means that it is built for your specific gun and if it matters to you, you have a choice of colors and designs.

Thanks for the explanation.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Wouldn't the 48 be longer and take up more space? What would the benefit be?

The Glock 48 holster will be longer AND more beneficial. The reason for this is that when you adjust the holster ride height to get your knuckles between your belt and the front strap of the pistol, the length below your belt will be similar to the portion of holster above your belt. If you think of the belt as a fulcrum and your holster as a lever, your stomach (even if you have a six pack) will push on the grip and slide, forcing the gun outwards. If you have a longer lever below the belt to counteract this, it will aid in concealment. Below is a photo of multiple holstered firearms that I own and carry. They range from a Glock 42 to a Glock 34 with a WML. As you can see, the holster I use for the smallest pistol is actually quite long for the size of the firearm. This is because if I were to use a shorter holster, while maintaining the ride height in order to achieve a good grip on the draw, the holster would topple over my belt line and actually be less easy to conceal. I have been appendix carrying full size pistols for years. The physics haven't changed.

Lever00.png

50267710098_039e1b9d4b_b.jpg

Longer holsters coupled with a wing or claw and a wedge (if needed) can make any size pistol disappear.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The Glock 48 holster will be longer AND more beneficial. The reason for this is that when you adjust the holster ride height to get your knuckles between your belt and the front strap of the pistol, the length below your belt will be similar to the portion of holster above your belt. If you think of the belt as a fulcrum and your holster as a lever, your stomach (even if you have a six pack) will push on the grip and slide, forcing the gun outwards. If you have a longer lever below the belt to counteract this, it will aid in concealment. Below is a photo of multiple holstered firearms that I own and carry. They range from a Glock 42 to a Glock 34 with a WML. As you can see, the holster I use for the smallest pistol is actually quite long for the size of the firearm. This is because if I were to use a shorter holster, while maintaining the ride height in order to achieve a good grip on the draw, the holster would topple over my belt line and actually be less easy to conceal. I have been appendix carrying full size pistols for years. The physics haven't changed.

Lever00.png

50267710098_039e1b9d4b_b.jpg

Longer holsters coupled with a wing or claw and a wedge (if needed) can make any size pistol disappear.

Great explanation there.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Okay that makes sense. So would this mean, buying a hand gun with a longer slide, be a better option or does that not have anything to do with any of this? I chose the 43x over the 48 due to the shorter slide/barrel length. Reason being is with the work I do I will be bent and/or crouching over. My thoughts were, with appendix carrying , the shorter barrel would not dig into me as bad and restrict movement while I work.

Top Bottom