Ammo storage in non climate controlled area.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaggerBlade

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Baton Rouge LA
    I have ammo stored in military ammo cans with desiccant bags in them. I am constantly drying the desiccant out for reuse because surplus military cans do not seal very well. I have it in stored in vacuum sealed bags. I have it stored in new ammo cans. Other than vacuum sealing it does anyone have any suggestions to reliably seal ammo from the Louisiana humidity?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Besides quality ammo cans, your only real option is to keep them in a climate controlled area.

And unless he shoots the ammunition it will probably outlast the owner when stored in a climate controlled area.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    You can seal it against moisture but the temperature swings can't be good for it . Or so I would think .

DaggerBlade

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Baton Rouge LA
    I should say until recently I stored it inside. I recently moved it in the garage and now I am trying to deal with the humidity issues. I suspect the answer is bite the bullet and buy new, quality ammo cans.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I should say until recently I stored it inside. I recently moved it in the garage and now I am trying to deal with the humidity issues. I suspect the answer is bite the bullet and buy new, quality ammo cans.

If you're storing ammunition for long term without planning to shoot it in the near future (5 years), you can seal up the cans you have.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La

Or just seal the old cans up better. Get a tube of urethane and put a little on the seals.
    You already have the ammo sealed up.
    I have shot lots of old surplus but if I am worried I pull a bullet and have look see.
    God only knows how some if that was,stored.
    I was also given some very old cardboard cans of powder and it was stored right. Must have been mid 60 to early 70. Looked fine and smelled fine. And did a rust test.
    You take white paper fold in half and see if it leaves a rust stain. Not really rust but if degraded would look like it and stain it.
    Graphite is ok tgey put small amounts in it. But paper should be clean other wise
    Then a small thin trail to burn it. Yes it is ok.
    If you call any powder company they will tell you to do these things

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    ammo storeage

Had some 45acp ammo given to me that was found when the attic was emptied when the elderly mother died. some was loose and some was still in issued cardboard boxes. Had been up there many many years and it fired but due to the age of the ammo the pistol was given a thorough cleaning. Kept the intact boxes. Boxes marked lot number 35 dated 1917 (20rds per box). Almost 100yrs old when given to me. Military issue. ........................................... drill sgt.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Nothing like first hand real world experience on a subject for me:
    The majority of my plinking ammo has always been stored in surplus ammo cans. In the interest of safety, I’ve always stored it in my shop or shed over the years. Non climate controlled, extremes in temperature is the norm, but it all stays sealed up air tight. I started actively buying ammo in the early 80’s and I still have and shoot mil surp and commercial FMJ 7.62x25, 7.62x39, x51, x54R, 5.56, 9mm, 9mm mak, etc. from those days and much is dated 60’s-80’s. I have 44 mag ammo I bought from Sports Unlimited for $15/50, .22LR with the green 97 cent Walmart sticker on it. It all shoots fine. I’ve yet to run into any ammo I purchased and stored that had any issues related to storage/degradation. I have several dozen 50 cal and bigger cans that I store stacked on pallets. Not something I’d keep in my home. I only keep hunting and defensive ammo in my gunroom and it takes up enough space as it is. This is real world info that I know to be correct so I continue to store my ammo in a non climate controlled building. I don’t know anyone that would keep over a ton of ammunition in their home, and I’d have more reservations about that than I ever have about it going bad. So, if it works for me, I bet it would work for others. I think that if you seal it up tight in ammo cans you likely have nothing to worry about. There are at least 4 members here that can vouch for what I’ve said.
    Lastly, if you are the type of gun owner that would likely shoot through and rotate any supply of ammonia within 5-10 years I’d bet a can of ammo you could store it exactly like I do without a worry, just don’t forget to lock it up.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    The majority of my plinking ammo has always been stored in surplus ammo cans. In the interest of safety, I’ve always stored it in my shop or shed over the years. Non climate controlled, extremes in temperature is the norm, but it all stays sealed up air tight. I started actively buying ammo in the early 80’s and I still have and shoot mil surp and commercial FMJ 7.62x25, 7.62x39, x51, x54R, 5.56, 9mm, 9mm mak, etc. from those days and much is dated 60’s-80’s. I have 44 mag ammo I bought from Sports Unlimited for $15/50, .22LR with the green 97 cent Walmart sticker on it. It all shoots fine. I’ve yet to run into any ammo I purchased and stored that had any issues related to storage/degradation. I have several dozen 50 cal and bigger cans that I store stacked on pallets. Not something I’d keep in my home. I only keep hunting and defensive ammo in my gunroom and it takes up enough space as it is. This is real world info that I know to be correct so I continue to store my ammo in a non climate controlled building. I don’t know anyone that would keep over a ton of ammunition in their home, and I’d have more reservations about that than I ever have about it going bad. So, if it works for me, I bet it would work for others. I think that if you seal it up tight in ammo cans you likely have nothing to worry about. There are at least 4 members here that can vouch for what I’ve said.
    Lastly, if you are the type of gun owner that would likely shoot through and rotate any supply of ammonia within 5-10 years I’d bet a can of ammo you could store it exactly like I do without a worry, just don’t forget to lock it up.

↑ I'm with Mag on ammo storage. 97 cent box of 22 LR, man those days are long gone. I'd like to have a 97 cent marked box just for the memories. West Gibson and K mart.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Couple tips to the OP I have learned over the years. Not that I am ammo storage zen guy as others here have more total ammo stored, and perhaps more experience on the topic.

Use military surplus ammo cans and verify the rubber seal on lid is in good condition. Not torn or cracked from age. If you really want to be anal, wipe the rubber seal lightly with some silicone spray to renew it, or to "moisturize" it. Like you would do on your 1969 Camaro rubber door and window seal gaskets.

Fill ur ammo cans as full as possible for long term storage. More ammo = less air (less moisture too) in can by volume when you close the lid.

I have 30 and 50 cal cans and a couple of the larger "1500 rounds of 7.62" military storage cans. I use the larger cans for long term storage. The lid comes completely off with a compression clip on each end. Really nice larger storage units. I put some self adhesive felt pads (5) on the bottom before adding ammo so I can drag the can out and not scratch my tile flooring. Pads can be purchased @ wally world cheap. Those larger cans get darned heavy filled up with ammo.

Nothing wrong with throwing a dessicant pack in there too, but don't be opening ur cans just to check the dessicant pack indicator. Every time you open a can, you expose the inside to new fresh air. Put a dessicant in there, close it up, and leave it alone til you actually need the ammo.

Use the smaller 30 cal and 50 cal cans for your go to or range ammo. Stuff you will be accessing pretty soon. No need for a dessicant pack imo.

Oh and I use the yellow post it stick on notes for what's inside the storage can. Caliber and how many boxes are inside. With regular tape applied to make sure the notes stay on the outside of the can. And I keep a master ammo inventory sheet in my safe, updated (scratch out and new tot count) as i consume ammo. Not every round precise, but if you don't know what you have in ur total inventory, shame on ya.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

If they’re genuine US MIL SURP cans that’s ok. I got a bunch of fat 50’s for about $13 each in great condition.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    New China cans can leak. There is a member here selling USGI ones at a good price

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    :eek3:you traded me 4+ year old ammo and it shot like a champ....even though it worked I’m appalled you did this to me... lol :

Sealed metal ammo cans and if you want put them in ziploc with some dryer pouches... or extreme vacuum seal them ... as long as it’s not a wet environment I just have good metal ammo cans with good rubber seals and ziplocs and that works for me

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

Those Fortress ammo cans off amazon above are made in China. If you want to support China, knock ur lights out.

Chinese versus American made ammo cans comparison: https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/american-made-vs-chinese-ammo-cans/

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I've said it before and it bears repeating . In 2016 I had several USGI cans of ammo go under water for several days . After I opened them , the ammo was bone dry . I always put a film of silicone O-ring grease on the rubber seals when I get one .

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    :eek3:you traded me 4+ year old ammo and it shot like a champ....even though it worked I’m appalled you did this to me... lol :

Haha! I knew it would too!

And +1 on what Dan said! The little silicone grease packs at auto zone work fine.
    For what it’s worth, I’ve only seen a couple of mil surp cans with seals that weren’t good and it was easy to spot immediately.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom