My wife wanted a Gen she could start so

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I got one for her and it has BlueTooth and shows the fuel level, shows how much percentage of load you are using as well. Also lets you shut it down etc. on the screen and on your phone with an App.
    I have the Manual Transfer Switch and the Correct Cord already installed to feed the sub-panel already. As it was used for the older 1993 8HP Briggs powdered 4000 running one.
    It ran the whole home 110 just fine so this one should be a cakewalk.

Attachments

• 20201008_201612.jpg
      20201008_201612.jpg
      207.8 KB · Views: 309
    • 20201008_201559.jpg
      20201008_201559.jpg
      211 KB · Views: 293
    Last edited:

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Have you run the Ryobi much yet?

I'm still on the fence if I want a Honda inverter or just get an actual generator.

No, my son started it yesterday amd it ran for a couple of min then we put it in the shed. It might get some use this weekend. It the Ryobi 6500.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    No, my son started it yesterday amd it ran for a couple of min then we put it in the shed. It might get some use this weekend. It the Ryobi 6500.

I saw them at Home Depot the other day. I like my Ryobi tools for what they are, so I figured I'd look into them. Most generators use another company's motor anyway.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Just a reminder, if you need to use your Gen for the whole house Kill the line going to the pole. Pull the main! Braker or fuses. Running your generator plunged into the house without pulling the main Backfeeds the power line going to your house. Anyone working on the lines near your house can be electrocuted!!! That includes tree trimming if the lines come down.
    I guess it's cause of were I use to work that Backfeeds is my pet pev but that can be a real Killer after the storm.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Just a reminder, if you need to use your Gen for the whole house Kill the line going to the pole. Pull the main! Braker or fuses. Running your generator plunged into the house without pulling the main Backfeeds the power line going to your house. Anyone working on the lines near your house can be electrocuted!!! That includes tree trimming if the lines come down.
    I guess it's cause of were I use to work that Backfeeds is my pet pev but that can be a real Killer after the storm.

I am not an electrician and would never attempt. Installing a new light is all I feel safe doing.

Fredgr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    Free state of Livingston
    My 2 cents. Spend the extra money and get the inverter. There's no cost savings in saving a few dollars on a generator and burning up a refrigerator or frying a computer.

Chief762

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2014
    Anacoco, Louisiana
    I had a Generac 22Kw installed 2 weeks before Laura showed up. It ran for 10 days. Delta's here now and the generator is running. We're good to go as long as a tree doesn't hit us.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA

Yes!!! And remember the same transformer on the pole that reduces 7.6, 13.8 or 15.2kV to 120/240 works both ways. If your generator powered home main disconnect isn’t disconnected, your house voltage steps up to thousands of volts on the distribution lines. A power line worker or even someone with a downed line in their yard can be electrocuted.

By the way, if you borrow a generator, be sure it is working properly before using it. I borrowed one and “Bubba” had converted one of the 120 outlets to 240. After the damage he said he had needed an extra 240 outlet and forgot to tell me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007

Understand that. When I got my big 11Kw portable, I was working at a hospital and we had a master electrician there. He got me a big double throw disconnect and wired it in and installed an inlet plug for the generator, so no chance of backfeed. To install we needed the utility power totally disconnected and when we made call the woman at the service location said it might be a day or two before they could get back to reconnect. When the lineman showed up and saw what we were doing, he gave us his personal cell phone # and said to call him when we were done and he would come back and reconnect even if he was off the clock, simply because he appreciated we were doing it right to keep him and other linemen safe.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Now that everyone had to use their gens, check the oil. After a day or so of use that earl gets black! You don't want to pull it out for the next storm & find it needs an earl change.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    Now that everyone had to use their gens, check the oil. After a day or so of use that earl gets black! You don't want to pull it out for the next storm & find it needs an earl change.

Good info.

I’m still using a portable generator from Gustav. Every time I’m done with it I’ve ran it out of gas. Completely. And every time I’ve needed it, I fuel it up and it cranks up with the first pull.

Saving a few $$ worth of gas in the tank doesn’t pay off. If I know there’s a chance I’ll need it in a month or two I’ll turn off the gas line and let it run out the gas in the carb and later drain the tank.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Now that everyone had to use their gens, check the oil. After a day or so of use that earl gets black! You don't want to pull it out for the next storm & find it needs an oil change.

I always say do this.
    I keep all my engines/small engines up.
    But am also a car guy for 40 plus years.
    Our little 4000 Watt 1992 or 3 or so 8hp cast iron sleeved B&S Gen has,run since then and is still fine.
    Oil is cheap. Have used it on job sites and at home.
    After Katrina was used here and there same way while staying there Or fixing it not continuously.
    But did run it balls to the wall 7 days in 2008 i think it was. As the storm knocked us out that long. So oil every 3 days.
    I also have cases of 30wt bought at 60 each on close out.
    I swap oil and filter once a year in my wife's Snapper Mower it was not cheap to buy. The gas edger. Weed Wacker everything like that once a year. Plus do like you do with cars/trucks check the level as they do used oil over time.
    I have 12 quarts of 10w30 Moblie1 for the new generator.

I have friends and neibors who did not even know to change it and a few that never knew tgey had oil.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Myself,co-worker,and boss bought the RYOBI and I love the easy starting

Dude down the street bought one. 7 hours later it wouldn't start,So...

I walk down there and 3 guys are piled up on it like monkeys trying to bang a football.

They explained the problem,I informed them to disconnect the low oil level sensor,The owner is like it's full of oil....

I'm like it doesn't matter,Disconnect the yellow wire,Bam !!! Fired right up !!!

datboyhieu01

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    May 23, 2015
    Metairie
    i been slacking and i deff needa get a Generator lol been looking at the Generac ones only because i basically live less then 15 steps from my business basically behind it so i have my electric and everything tied in one and somehow i got lucky after Zeta my power came back on that day after the storm shut off at 5:30 pm and came on at 12AM

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom