Here We Go Again - Power Out

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Grid power just went out again (8 pm Friday night), on generator power now. For Laura it was out ten days and I felt fortunate because so many had it worse. At least the cable and internet is still working, although my line is still on the ground and the best that Suddenlink has been able to produce is around 50 MBS, not nearly what I contract for. And it was completely down for 30 days after Laura. Never had any water problems and I have gas hot water, cooking, and heat.

How is everyone else doing?

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    Sounds like you have some good essentials. Hopefully you'll not need them for long. All good in Nola and nothing to report, I just didn't want to leave ya hanging out there with no reply.
    Cheers

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Hammond is faring well. I’m just sitting here working on guns til the power goes out..which won’t stop me. What I have left is so easy Ray Charles could do it.

Hope everybody stays safe.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    dba92c546687b65148f1e63349d1b5a4.jpg

Sent from the ISS using Tapatalk

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    Power went out at 5.45 started the welding machine up at 5.47. Shut it down for a refuel at 1300 will be good for the night.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Hey, you guys stay safe and keep us updated.
    What did the 22Kw cost? And yes it is crazy how many will sit in a hot home with no lights but spend $ on many other things all year long.

I have plans for one but want to do other things 1st. For now, the smaller one will do.

Last edited:

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    What did the 22Kw cost?

We had one installed by Optimise of Baton Rouge and it was $8500. That was just the gen install. You have to have a high flow gas meter installed to support the generator. That may be an additional cost from your gas company. I see you're from Kenner. My sister got her lowest quote from Frischhertz Electric in N.O. She only needed a 16hw so I don't want to quote her cost.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    What did the 22Kw cost? And yes it is crazy how many will sit in a hot home with no lights but spend $ on many other things all year long.

I have plans for one but want to do other things 1st. For now, the smaller one will do.

Hey man, Right about now a single man with a generator would have all kinds of Ladys flocking to his house for a hot shower and to soak up some BTU's
    I shudder to think about the possibilities?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    All good here in my part of the City of Central . A lot of wind , no high water , a few blinks .

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans

That's relative to your situation. For instance, a whole home generator for my house would be 18-30k depending on the set up I want. That's a whole bunch of nights at a 5 star hotel if I needed to stay somewhere cool. I've never had the power out longer than a few minutes also. Now if I lived somewhere where the power being out for longer than half a day was common? Then sure, I'll look into it. But for most of us, power outages are not the norm.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    ^^^^That’s my take...could pay for a lot of hotel room stays with the money for the initial setup and the added fuel costs to run it when needed. I’ve heard your gas bill goes through the roof when you have to run the generator for any extended period of time.

On the flip side, how much is convenience worth to somebody? Each have their own value, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Power has been out in BR since about 8 last night. No biggie for us ... my little 1800 watt generator keeps the fridge cold. I don’t mind a few days of camping in the house.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    ^^^^That’s my take...could pay for a lot of hotel room stays with the money for the initial setup and the added fuel costs to run it when needed. I’ve heard your gas bill goes through the roof when you have to run the generator for any extended period of time.

On the flip side, how much is convenience worth to somebody? Each have their own value, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wealth management consultant told me not to get one. So it made since when he explained it to me and even his own story of buying one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom