Jeep restoration update

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I’ve been able to make some headway on the engine and have it just about ready to put back in the frame. I installed the rebuilt fuel pump and carb plus lots of parts and pieces. I was also able to get the drive shafts restored with new u joints and some other new parts. Got some seals put in the differentials and restored my Warn 3 ring locking hubs for the front axel. I took them apart, cleaned them up and painted them. I also installed new gaskets when I installed them on the axel. I also cleaned up the oil bath air cleaner and rebuilt the steering box. I’ve tried to source as many USA new old stock parts or new USA made new stuff and so far just about everything installed comes from here. There are a few over seas parts but that’s just the way it goes sometimes. I’m happy with how they turned out but I’m not happy with my progress. It will be 2 years in January that I started the project. I have too many irons in the fire for my own good, but I’m motivated and moving forward.
    c4de586514fe4db6c87c06b66b83ad89.jpg
    6a6ced434e576260cde30329745ee2b7.jpg
    ab416098eb1b24cf47440d33ced4d62f.jpg
    7889bb5514fbff7f36dc64cf7beb1051.jpg
    27c101ee867adc389a9e637f5ba194ce.jpg
    b2f1bc4bd7774415e19bc36dd4c41d0f.jpg
    f958b66849b9ddb1b4b704e3ac12c528.jpg
    73bf860bcfc0c5c160b417f21d88db22.jpg
    2ef58f080f072feb305e5d2bd60b7d37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Looking good Bee man. My old 71 had the offenhauser V-6 in it and was too cheap and easy of a vehicle to rebuild. All the front end and brake parts were cheap old ford parts. I wound up with 2 complete sets of axles for it and became a pro at swapping it all out in a few hours. 4:88’s would come off and 3:73’s would go on right after deer season. Gosh I miss that old bucket. I used to jeep JC Whitney in business. I mean keep...

Last edited:

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I fondly remember the JC Whitney catalogs as a kid growing up. They are still in business, or at least they were when I last checked. I learned to drive on a old Jeep my grandfather used on our farm and used to look for parts to keep in going from JC Whitney. That was before the internet came along. There are a bunch of specialty Jeep parts vendors across the country which can supply anything you will ever need. I wish I would have done a better job of keeping track of what I spent so far, but hey maybe that’s a good thing. Still got a ways to go, but I feel I’m on the back side of the project so that is what I focus on to keep me motivated. Thank everyone for the kind words.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I fondly remember the JC Whitney catalogs as a kid growing up. They are still in business, or at least they were when I last checked. I learned to drive on a old Jeep my grandfather used on our farm and used to look for parts to keep in going from JC Whitney. That was before the internet came along. There are a bunch of specialty Jeep parts vendors across the country which can supply anything you will ever need. I wish I would have done a better job of keeping track of what I spent so far, but hey maybe that’s a good thing. Still got a ways to go, but I feel I’m on the back side of the project so that is what I focus on to keep me motivated. Thank everyone for the kind words.

Keep us updated or even better,If you need a hand one day,Give a shout out !

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    I really enjoy your updates. Reminds me of the early 1960's when I had a Scout Master who took an early 1950's Jaguar down to the individual parts and restored it like you are doing with your jeep. We would meet at his garage periodically and see his work. The end result was amazing.

On an aside, he was also the one who took us first to the Boundary Waters. Week long canoe & tent camping, portaging, fishing and filling canteens out in the middle of the lakes without additional water purification. During one trip we saw only one other party during the whole week, so I really enjoy your trip narratives too.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I’ve been able to make some headway on the engine and have it just about ready to put back in the frame. I installed the rebuilt fuel pump and carb plus lots of parts and pieces. I was also able to get the drive shafts restored with new u joints and some other new parts. Got some seals put in the differentials and restored my Warn 3 ring locking hubs for the front axel. I took them apart, cleaned them up and painted them. I also installed new gaskets when I installed them on the axel. I also cleaned up the oil bath air cleaner and rebuilt the steering box. I’ve tried to source as many USA new old stock parts or new USA made new stuff and so far just about everything installed comes from here. There are a few over seas parts but that’s just the way it goes sometimes. I’m happy with how they turned out but I’m not happy with my progress. It will be 2 years in January that I started the project. I have too many irons in the fire for my own good, but I’m motivated and moving forward.
    c4de586514fe4db6c87c06b66b83ad89.jpg
    6a6ced434e576260cde30329745ee2b7.jpg
    ab416098eb1b24cf47440d33ced4d62f.jpg
    7889bb5514fbff7f36dc64cf7beb1051.jpg
    27c101ee867adc389a9e637f5ba194ce.jpg
    b2f1bc4bd7774415e19bc36dd4c41d0f.jpg
    f958b66849b9ddb1b4b704e3ac12c528.jpg
    73bf860bcfc0c5c160b417f21d88db22.jpg
    2ef58f080f072feb305e5d2bd60b7d37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ujoint snap ring does not appear to be set all the way in the groove; that big old oil filter made me remember about using a roll of toilet paper for the filter back in the 70s & 80s

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Ujoint snap ring does not appear to be set all the way in the groove; that big old oil filter made me remember about using a roll of toilet paper for the filter back in the 70s & 80s

Oh come on man,Toilet paper oil filters? Next you'll be posting about people using Kotex's for air filters?

You are correct,The snap ring does not look seated correctly....

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Oh come on man,Toilet paper oil filters? Next you'll be posting about people using Kotex's for air filters?

You are correct,The snap ring does not look seated correctly....

Yep, late 70s, WBRSO tested them, I recall seller claiming just change the roll of toilet paper once a month, and change the oil every 6 months, that was a lot of miles on a patrol vehicle; I had use of a IH 'Scout' back then and remember the big filter housing; 1950s jeep driveshaft been beat on too many times changing ujoints and mashed groove in, so snap ring will not fit correctly in the groove

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I’ll check the snap ring next time I’m at the shop. The drive shafts were a bit tricky. I’ve replaced a few u joints in my day, but it’s been awhile so when I was doing these I had to take my time and think about it. I had my 86 year old uncle, the walking encyclopedia, on premises to make sure I got it right which is always comforting. Thanks Cyclone for your great memories from your past. I’m glad you got to experience the Boundary Waters. The first trip I took there was in 2000. The experience blew me away. I have spent a fair amount of time in the great outdoors, but going up there really showed me what true wilderness really is. A man could paddle this area for a lifetime and still not get to every lake or river this area has to offer. Then when you add the fishing to the trip it really puts it over the top. I’ve took one of my sons up there when he was around 20, he’s 25 now, and he says that it was the best trip he’s been on. My goal is to get each one of them out there and then I’ll bring my grandson. The thought of a trip like this can be overwhelming, but if you love the outdoors you have to give it a go. I’ve requested to my family that when I die I want some of my ashes spread in the Boundary Waters. To have me being a part of that area for eternity makes me smile, plus it will make my kids go and experience it just one more time.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom