Made a dumb mistake at bayou dragon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It was an FN Mk1 tactical. I really didnt need it or had any intentions of buying a shotgun for a grand. I just seen it and thought it was badass. They had a few ar15s and I think a few pistols. I didn't pay attention much. Not sure about pricing....My first handgun purchase was last week and that was using blue line through Glock...so yeah...CHEAP.

Good choice. I have an FN SLP and they are nice shotguns.

Thinking about it more....I do agree with you and Magdump. I am new to buying guns but the logical side of me can't accept that now I'm just banned from ever buying a gun from them because of one little mistake. It's literally a check mark. I just accepted it because well I made the mistake and its his place of business. I wasn't going to argue with him.

He did make the comment that he could not take the chance that I was setting him up and then he would be in trouble. I could relate because my family has ran gas stations and grocery stores and they send kids in to buy alcohol and cigarettes to see if we check ID's.

Do you have a copy of your birth certificate? That might convince him it was an error rather than a setup.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Good choice. I have an FN SLP and they are nice shotguns.

Do you have a copy of your birth certificate? That might convince him it was an error rather than a setup.

Man it looked so badass sitting up there. I did some quick research on it while i was there and I read it was a solid shotgun. The price was more then fair compared to what I found online. Called a few other local shops and no one had one....oh well...

I do have my birth certificate. Though you bring that up, I wish I would have thought about it......I have a copy of my dd214 saved to my google drive on my phone.

Last edited:

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    So tell me this. After doing what I did, could he have given me another form or just had me correct the form? Would that have been illegal? What reasons could he have had to stop the sale? I'm asking because I do not know. Over reacting?

He seemed to be pretty concerned about what happened. I can also say he did want to sell it to me. He was getting it packed up as I was filling the form.

That's the real issue. You were causing him to be late for supper.
    Sometimes background checks can take up to twenty/thirty minutes to come back with a result.

I sell guns 5 out of 7 days a week and sometimes more often than that. Coaching...thats bullsiht. No one can coach you into being an illegal alien by means of a box selection field on a form. Bottom line is he should have asked you to reread and make sure that your selections were final. He must not have wanted to make money.
    The major difference here is that you are the manager of the shop, and will go above and beyond to make a sale.

Before I became a citizen, I had to show my Green Card, DL and last three months of any utility bill proving residence.
    Congratulations on becoming a Citizen of the Greatest Republic On Earth.

I hope we can keep it.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    That's the real issue. You were causing him to be late for supper.
    Sometimes background checks can take up to twenty/thirty minutes to come back with a result.

The major difference here is that you are the manager of the shop, and will go above and beyond to make a sale.

LOL that could be true...man gotta eat. He was the owner though. The one thing that had me worried is when he told me has to keep it filed forever at his place....I'm realizing now that this isnt really a big issue.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    send your wife, according to the law she can buy a spouse a firearm for a gift or just for her self... lol, i know if i had that situation i have several 2nd amendment immdiate family members that would go up there and make the buy for me and come by the house for a free steak dinner for there service... its one thing if you are unlawfully able possessing a weapon. its another if a sales man shuns you..... lol

Last edited:

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    i hope this person is forthcomming with his Citizenship of the United States

https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?193536-Fn-slp-mk1-tactical

:mamoru:

lmmfao......I guess it depends. I live in gretna. So somone from the eastbank might not accept me as a citizen.

I dont think my wife would have it in here to walk in and buy a shotgun. She isnt scared of guns or to shot them but I could see her walking in , whisper and point at what she wants...then run out the door.lmao

I told myself im getting a handgun for work and that was it. I got to many other hobbies/toys between my 11yo son and I. He just came up to me today while we were at Puglia's "Dad i'm going to save up for that Glock we shot at the range". He is talking about the 44. Not more then 5mins later he is trying to ask the counter guy can he see a gun.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    I accidentally checked the wrong box once while filling out the form and I told the salesman and he just gave me a new form so I could start over.

PotatoMuncher

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Lacombe
    send your wife, according to the law she can buy a spouse a firearm for a gift or just for her self... lol, i know if i had that situation i have several 2nd amendment immdiate family members that would go up there and make the buy for me and come by the house for a free steak dinner for there service... its one thing if you are unlawfully able possessing a weapon. its another if a sales man shuns you..... lol

It's somewhat debatable, but a lot of shops would consider this situation to be a straw purchase. Taking into consideration the amount of caution that was showed in the original interaction, I'm willing to bet this shop owner would.

"A criminal act in which something, especially a firearm, is bought by one person on behalf of another who is legally unable to make the purchase themselves."

Last edited:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    A coworker of mine ordered a long gun from Sportsman's Warehouse, and when it came in he went, along with his wife, to pick it up. Does everything, approval received from NICS, and his wife pulled out her credit card to actually pay. They refused the sale, despite my friend being there, providing ID, background check passing, and them being married, just because of the card THEY, a married couple, decided to provide payment with was in her name. That, to me, is absolutely ridiculous. It's a payment method, and if he had a card in his name that she wrote a check to pay the bill for, same result. Absurd.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's somewhat debatable, but a lot of shops would consider this situation to be a straw purchase. Taking into consideration the amount of caution that was showed in the original interaction, I'm willing to bet this shop owner would.

"A criminal act in which something, especially a firearm, is bought by one person on behalf of another who is legally unable to make the purchase themselves."

If the OP is not a prohibited person, he does not fall within the "who is legally unable to make the purchase themselves" and the provided definition would not apply.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    before you could use your chp for a speedy process i alwasy got delays... so anytime i wanted a new gun i would just take my wife... id hold it, inspect it, fall in love with it, hand it to the man behind the counter and say thats nice, she will take it... never once had a issue... Done that at many big box stores and small mom and pop and pawn shops... maybe one or 2 have asked why and i just said shes my wife and its a gift for me.. they say ok... maam heres your form to fill out..

spouces are allowed to make a firearm purches for each other

and he was legally able to purchase the gun, nothing other than a paper that was never ran and deemed denied by a person not the system for checks..

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A coworker of mine ordered a long gun from Sportsman's Warehouse, and when it came in he went, along with his wife, to pick it up. Does everything, approval received from NICS, and his wife pulled out her credit card to actually pay. They refused the sale, despite my friend being there, providing ID, background check passing, and them being married, just because of the card THEY, a married couple, decided to provide payment with was in her name. That, to me, is absolutely ridiculous. It's a payment method, and if he had a card in his name that she wrote a check to pay the bill for, same result. Absurd.

Back when I worked at a bar on Bourbon St, Louisiana ATC would use a similar tactic. Person A orders some drinks. While the bartender is making the drinks, Person B walks up to Person A. They're old friend who haven't seen each other in a while and blah blah blah. When the bartender delivers the drinks, Person B offers to pay for them. Person B is underage.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

and he was legally able to purchase the gun, nothing other than a paper that was never ran and deemed denied by a person not the system for checks..

Excellent point. :p

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    One time I was buying a gun and filling out the form and was so used to the form that I wasn't reading the form. I knew it was yes and then all nos but had a brain fart and check no and then all yes.

The guy comes back and points out the goof and was like "if all of this is true I def can't sell you a gun but I suspect you goofed".

Now I read .

Top Bottom