Made a dumb mistake at bayou dragon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I went there today to get some practice in. I saw a shotgun I wanted and decided to buy it. Fill out the background check and I go down the line to check off the "no" s. Give him the form and he comes back and says he can't sell it to me.... My dumbass checked "yes" that I'm an illegal alien.... UGH!... So now it seems I can't ever by anything from them. I could not believe I did that. My eyes must have gotten crossed. I even remember looking over it and didn't even notice I had did that. According to the owner it stays in his records. Will this cause issues with other gun shop purchases? It was pretty embarrassing to say the least.

Tat2edSuperman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 28, 2020
    Baton Rouge
    Should not cause a problem at other gun stores. After you finished it should have come back with a "prohibited" instead of a "DENY". The difference being prohibited is generated before 4473 NICS submission therefore no NTN while DENY is generated by the feds after submission. Hope this helps

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If the guy actually ran the check and didn’t at least check with you to make sure you meant to check that box, I wouldn’t want to do business with him anyway. I’ve seen the forms change over the years and even the biggest loser gun stores I’ve made purchases in have made sure to chime in and offer assistance with the form. If they see you mark anything that’s out of place or used to you could not abbreviate anything and they’d remind you. Before anybody chimes in, I don’t mean fill out the form for you or coach you into giving any false info, you know what I mean. Make sure you fill the form out correctly. If the guy is that careless then he doesn’t deserve your business. I wouldn’t go in there just hearing about it.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If the guy actually ran the check and didn’t at least check with you to make sure you meant to check that box, I wouldn’t want to do business with him anyway. I’ve seen the forms change over the years and even the biggest loser gun stores I’ve made purchases in have made sure to chime in and offer assistance with the form. If they see you mark anything that’s out of place or used to you could not abbreviate anything and they’d remind you. Before anybody chimes in, I don’t mean fill out the form for you or coach you into giving any false info, you know what I mean. Make sure you fill the form out correctly. If the guy is that careless then he doesn’t deserve your business. I wouldn’t go in there just hearing about it.

What he said.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La

I dont think he ran it through the computer. I saw him looking over it and then just said "I'm sorry I cant sell you a gun" "You marked X on illegal alien" . I asked him if I could change it and he stated he could not do that because then it would seem like him coaching me. I'm not mad at them at all. It was my mistake and he seemed really sincere. It was my first time there so maybe they thought I was trying to set them up. They were really nice people, no attitude and not seeming like they were trying to get rid of me. I actually went there to use the range and when i was done I seen the shotgun. Didn't have the cash on me so I told them i would be back later in the week. I ended up calling them and telling them I'm on my way. I got there right at closing time. So they could have just told me come back later we are closed. Instead they went with the process.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Okay...I really didn't want this to make them look bad. They were great people and I do plan on going back. Mistakes happen and the mistake was made by me. Maybe something happened before and they don't want to take any chances.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Should not cause a problem at other gun stores. After you finished it should have come back with a "prohibited" instead of a "DENY". The difference being prohibited is generated before 4473 NICS submission therefore no NTN while DENY is generated by the feds after submission. Hope this helps

Okay that is good to know. He did state it should not be an issue anywhere else ...I just wanted to make sure. I should have just waited till I got my chp paperwork sent in and approved. I seen the shotgun and really wanted it...didnt need it though. Guess the positive is I am less broke now.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I dont think he ran it through the computer. I saw him looking over it and then just said "I'm sorry I cant sell you a gun" "You marked X on illegal alien" . I asked him if I could change it and he stated he could not do that because then it would seem like him coaching me. I'm not mad at them at all. It was my mistake and he seemed really sincere. It was my first time there so maybe they thought I was trying to set them up. They were really nice people, no attitude and not seeming like they were trying to get rid of me. I actually went there to use the range and when i was done I seen the shotgun. Didn't have the cash on me so I told them i would be back later in the week. I ended up calling them and telling them I'm on my way. I got there right at closing time. So they could have just told me come back later we are closed. Instead they went with the process.
    Oh man, you gotta be kidding me. I think if that had happened to me I’d put them in the same category as Red Jacket and Cheaper Than Dirt. I hope they don’t advertise here. I’ve never heard of the place but I’m making a mental note in case I ever accidentally wind up in their place of business. That’s really something special, and it’s got a name but I don’t wanna say it here.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Oh man, you gotta be kidding me. I think if that had happened to me I’d put them in the same category as Red Jacket and Cheaper Than Dirt. I hope they don’t advertise here. I’ve never heard of the place but I’m making a mental note in case I ever accidentally wind up in their place of business. That’s really something special, and it’s got a name but I don’t wanna say it here.

So tell me this. After doing what I did, could he have given me another form or just had me correct the form? Would that have been illegal? What reasons could he have had to stop the sale? I'm asking because I do not know. Over reacting?

He seemed to be pretty concerned about what happened. I can also say he did want to sell it to me. He was getting it packed up as I was filling the form.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    So tell me this. After doing what I did, could he have given me another form or just had me correct the form? Would that have been illegal? What reasons could he have had to stop the sale? I'm asking because I do not know. Over reacting?

He seemed to be pretty concerned about what happened. I can also say he did want to sell it to me. He was getting it packed up as I was filling the form.
    My honest opinion from reading your posts, taken at face value, either he is really stupid, or he was being a dick. Even if he was concerned about anything not legit and anyone witnessing same, he could easily have handled that situation better. A world better.

Yes, he could have given you another form.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Just out of curiosity, what shotgun and what price? I never thought about stopping by there to buy a gun. Did they have anything else out there that wasn't inflated in price?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    i understand he "cant coach you" but i have made simple mistakes before in a rush filling them out and have been told hey man, check over these boxs again and make sure they are right, or somthing simple about the info and like hey man didnt you mean to put this or is this correct? To me its there job to proof read it to verify before calling it in... idk, i would prob have a sour taste if sombody did that to me exspecially if i gave him a valid DL, valid CHP, ect and obviouly made a mistake...

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    didnt the form just change? i know i picked up a couple lowers last month and they were the new form... a little diff, can easily be confusing

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I sell guns 5 out of 7 days a week and sometimes more often than that. Coaching...thats bullsiht. No one can coach you into being an illegal alien by means of a box selection field on a form. Bottom line is he should have asked you to reread and make sure that your selections were final. He must not have wanted to make money.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Could be that he might have thought that you were some under cover operative sent in to check his operation to see if he would do something he wasn"t supposed to do?? You know this can and has happened to certain business that are government regulated. Both local/state/and or national. Hope you get things worked out. ................................................ drill sgt.

civiltiger07

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 20, 2017
    Brusly
    i understand he "cant coach you" but i have made simple mistakes before in a rush filling them out and have been told hey man, check over these boxs again and make sure they are right, or somthing simple about the info and like hey man didnt you mean to put this or is this correct? To me its there job to proof read it to verify before calling it in... idk, i would prob have a sour taste if sombody did that to me exspecially if i gave him a valid DL, valid CHP, ect and obviouly made a mistake...

Is it even possible for an illegal alien to get a drivers license?

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Just out of curiosity, what shotgun and what price? I never thought about stopping by there to buy a gun. Did they have anything else out there that wasn't inflated in price?

It was an FN Mk1 tactical. I really didnt need it or had any intentions of buying a shotgun for a grand. I just seen it and thought it was badass. They had a few ar15s and I think a few pistols. I didn't pay attention much. Not sure about pricing....My first handgun purchase was last week and that was using blue line through Glock...so yeah...CHEAP.

didnt the form just change? i know i picked up a couple lowers last month and they were the new form... a little diff, can easily be confusing

Not sure. This was the first paper form i filled. It seemed pretty simple. All i had to do was go down the line and check NO...I do not know how my hand went over to the left and checked yes. I clearly recall saying to myself "no..no...no...no".lol....

I sell guns 5 out of 7 days a week and sometimes more often than that. Coaching...thats bullsiht. No one can coach you into being an illegal alien by means of a box selection field on a form. Bottom line is he should have asked you to reread and make sure that your selections were final. He must not have wanted to make money.

Thinking about it more....I do agree with you and Magdump. I am new to buying guns but the logical side of me can't accept that now I'm just banned from ever buying a gun from them because of one little mistake. It's literally a check mark. I just accepted it because well I made the mistake and its his place of business. I wasn't going to argue with him.

Could be that he might have thought that you were some under cover operative sent in to check his operation to see if he would do something he wasn"t supposed to do?? You know this can and has happened to certain business that are government regulated. Both local/state/and or national. Hope you get things worked out. ................................................ drill sgt.

He did make the comment that he could not take the chance that I was setting him up and then he would be in trouble. I could relate because my family has ran gas stations and grocery stores and they send kids in to buy alcohol and cigarettes to see if we check ID's.

Is it even possible for an illegal alien to get a drivers license?

Ummm....it is possible. Though I don't think anyone who has done it would be walking in to buy a gun at the local gun shop. They tend to want to stay away from any unneeded attention. If they came here planning on anything disastrous I don't think that's how they would go about it.

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    at Cabela's a few years ago i accidentally checked a yes(felony) block as i adjusted my arm. the guy caught it, gave me a new paper ad said i had checked it wrong. i had given him my ccw hoping to avoid filling it out, but its apparently store policy.
    guy told me he gets at least 5 mess-ups a day.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I have made mistakes and been given a new form. Once I left off info on accident and the guy phoning it in didn't catch it.
    Mistakes happen... We are all human. I wouldn't give that guy my business again!

As for the illegal alien getting a DL... I work construction and know/seen plenty illegals with DL, insurance, even a couple that had legit business licenses!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom