Mossberg muck up?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I like the Mossberg 500 line of shotguns and have owned too many to keep track of. That being said, if tonight’s events are any indicator of what I can look forward to from Mossberg, I may have to reconsider my opinion of their quality. Let me explain...
    A buddy at work saw a mini 410 pump at academy and thought it was the best thing ever. So he bought it. Got it home and couldn’t get the first round to go into the tube mag. He tried over and over but could not get one to go in. He calls me and I attempt to coach him through the process and he explains that the follower moves about 1/4 inch and stops dead. So we talk some more and I decide I need to put hands on the gun since he can’t tell if there’s a plug in the mag. Fast forward to tonight:
    He meets me in the parking garage with this little shrunk down version of a shotgun. I remove the barrel and start pushing on the follower in an attempt to check the travel. I meet resistance exactly like he said. I peer into the hole in the end of the mag and I can clearly see the end of a wooden dowel so I decide that there’s a plug in there... problem is, they forgot to miniaturize the plug to fit the rest of the gun. Yup, they shoved a full sized plug into that tube mag and it took up all but a quarter inch of room so that no rounds would fit. You should have seen his face when I pushed it out with the follower. I just held it upside down and gave the follower a push til the end of the plug was sticking out the end of the mag, then pulled it out. There were a few laughs and head shakes. We both took a pic and decided to notify Mossberg via the website. I really can’t wait for their reply. I wanna know how they test fired the gun with that plug in there...

25aba1f4dcab00f430393e1eb2361ff6.jpg

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    That’s the dowel they will sell you. It’s long, because it’s made to be cut to whatever length you want depending on the shell length you use.

This isn’t the first time one has been found in a Mossberg shotgun.

$_1.JPG

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    So, upon some reading up on the 510 mini, it appears for at least the past 7+ years Mossberg thought it was a good idea to completely fill up the magazine with an oversized plug, just in case owners wanted to use the gun as a single shot...yup, it’s right there in the description, although according to my friend, and he’s gone through everything that came in the box, there’s absolutely no mention of it.
    Truthfully, I don’t understand how Mossberg can justify that explanation with a straight face. That’s just retarded. Why would anyone elect to pay extra money for an over complicated pump single shot shotgun? And if Mossberg insists on selling them like that, why not place a label on the gun stating the plug is there and needs to be removed (or trimmed if the owner need it to limit rounds to be legal)?
    So there it is. It’s all over the Internet and has apparently been an issue for some time but Mossberg can’t be bothered.
    As for me, I can’t say I’ve ever bought a complete firearm that required me to work on it before I could
    load and shoot it. I also don’t know a soul who owns a single shot repeater on purpose. I don’t buy Mossberg’s explanation and if they do reply to my email I’ll call them on it. I believe they just decided to skip a step in assembly and pass the task on to the consumer. Every other repeating shotgun I bought new was already built to hold at least 3 rounds right out of the box.
    5de300af19f42d4a21e350b722867fa5.jpg

fb2103b1869151b21f4f1051ab906ab2.jpg

5200630a4f59542f09195919f9c69a57.jpg

7bd6629d77c690c7b7594e184dc61234.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Man that ain’t even funny...

I know...sad but true. If bumbling Biden wins he will be removed shortly after being sworn in. Our gubment is stomping on the 2A right now. Just think what will happen with the stroke of the poison pen if they take over. The swamp is circling the wagons. Unfortunately the swamp is deep and wide and includes both sides.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I know...sad but true. If bumbling Biden wins he will be removed shortly after being sworn in. Our gubment is stomping on the 2A right now. Just think what will happen with the stroke of the poison pen if they take over. The swamp is circling the wagons. Unfortunately the swamp is deep and wide and includes both sides.
    Way off track but I’ll bite.
    Try to remember 4 years ago, the Hillary campaign and the momentum she had and the show or perceived show of support. I think more people thought she would win than there are people now who think Biden will win. Now enter Trump vs Biden. The nation has seen what Trump has done for the economy, lowest unemployment in our lifetime, bringing industry back to our nation, ending the most one sided trade agreement we’ve ever been sold into (which was a historical accomplishment and will be remembered as such). I could go on about Trump but I’d rather get to Biden, who has done nothing in 47 years but plagiarize his way to the VP seat under one of the worst abominations this country has ever seen. I can tell you a secret, most people of color really do not like Biden. Those same people liked the hell out of Trump before he ran for POTUS. At this point, the media has been on a 4 year Trump hate cycle that has worn itself into the dust. We’ve had a pandemic. We are bouncing back. People are ready to get back to pre Covid and the left does not support that. But guess who does.
    We will get 4 more years of Trump. Sure, the country will likely implode after that, but we get that 4 more years.
    So cheer up buttercup.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Way off track but I’ll bite.
    Try to remember 4 years ago, the Hillary campaign and the momentum she had and the show or perceived show of support. I think more people thought she would win than there are people now who think Biden will win. Now enter Trump vs Biden. The nation has seen what Trump has done for the economy, lowest unemployment in our lifetime, bringing industry back to our nation, ending the most one sided trade agreement we’ve ever been sold into (which was a historical accomplishment and will be remembered as such). I could go on about Trump but I’d rather get to Biden, who has done nothing in 47 years but plagiarize his way to the VP seat under one of the worst abominations this country has ever seen. I can tell you a secret, most people of color really do not like Biden. Those same people liked the hell out of Trump before he ran for POTUS. At this point, the media has been on a 4 year Trump hate cycle that has worn itself into the dust. We’ve had a pandemic. We are bouncing back. People are ready to get back to pre Covid and the left does not support that. But guess who does.
    We will get 4 more years of Trump. Sure, the country will likely implode after that, but we get that 4 more years.
    So cheer up buttercup.

You’re preaching to the choir. I’m just saying don’t underestimate the left after 3 1/2 years of false accusations. I want to believe Trump will win in a landslide...my family will do its part to see this happen but let’s face it he is an outsider and the establishment wants him gone just as much as the loony left does. Trump is blowing up the illusion of choice in politics. I believe he is a People’s President. I just hope there are enough voters that see it this way. If not we are in serious trouble. Again I agree with you and the buttercup comment was uncalled for.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    From Mossberg today:

Good afternoon thank you for your email. All of our guns are tested before they leave and all of the youth 510 mini guns and hunting models come with a dowel installed the 510 mini models all do ship with a full size dowel.
    This is a youth beginner gun. This limits it to one shot at a times for those who purchase this as a beginner/starter gun for their children, grandchildren etc. and wish to not have them shooting more than one round at a time.
    We are sorry if it was an inconvenience to you. We do cover it in our owners manual that some models do have dowels and how to remove them if the user wishes to do so.
    If you have any further questions or concerns please let us know. Thank you for your feedback it will be shared and have a good day.

There is of course mention of the dowel in the tube and how to remove it so it won’t limit the capacity, but it says nothing about limiting capacity of the mag to zero.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    You’re preaching to the choir. I’m just saying don’t underestimate the left after 3 1/2 years of false accusations. I want to believe Trump will win in a landslide...my family will do its part to see this happen but let’s face it he is an outsider and the establishment wants him gone just as much as the loony left does. Trump is blowing up the illusion of choice in politics. I believe he is a People’s President. I just hope there are enough voters that see it this way. If not we are in serious trouble. Again I agree with you and the buttercup comment was uncalled for.
    If you took the buttercup comment as an insult I’m surprised. If it upset you I’m shocked. You’ve thrown around way worse like it was common place. All that in a thread about a shotgun. How’d we get on politics again?
    I was actually trying to help you feel better

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There is of course mention of the dowel in the tube and how to remove it so it won’t limit the capacity, but it says nothing about limiting capacity of the mag to zero.

On page 8 of the manual found on their website, it talks about the dowel. Granted, it doesn't use the word "zero" but it does say on the 510 models, the dowel blocks magazine loading.
    "500® Bantam™, Super Bantam, 505™, and 510™ Models:
    These Models are supplied as a single shot. An extra-long wooden dowel blocks magazine loading. After proper firearm training the dowel can be removed to be cut to 9” to comply with appropriate laws."

5dqfe6mgugxsul0nmbj.png

If your friend didn't get a manual in the box, you could forward him the link.
    https://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/12173-Owners-Manual-Pumps-English.pdf

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    On page 8 of the manual found on their website, it talks about the dowel. Granted, it doesn't use the word "zero" but it does say on the 510 models, the dowel blocks magazine loading.
    "500® Bantam™, Super Bantam, 505™, and 510™ Models:
    These Models are supplied as a single shot. An extra-long wooden dowel blocks magazine loading. After proper firearm training the dowel can be removed to be cut to 9* to comply with appropriate laws."

5dqfe6mgugxsul0nmbj.png

If your friend didn't get a manual in the box, you could forward him the link.
    https://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/12173-Owners-Manual-Pumps-English.pdf
    Thanks Perez, I actually have printed a few Mossberg manuals from their site and that’s a great service they offer. I’m just surprised that they haven’t considered any sort of notice affixed to the gun or the box to inform the owner. If they think a mention of it buried in the manual (that covers a few different models)is adequate I have to disagree. I’ve seen warnings and notices stamped into receivers and barrels, so I think a simple label shouldn’t be out of the question. You can’t very well say that’s routine with a firearm, to have to work on it before it will function as intended.
    I also have to question how many owners have contacted Mossberg thinking something is wrong with the gun. My fellow employee is definitely not handicapped when it comes to handling firearms. Anyway, add to the foreverwebs another source of that info that Mossberg doesn’t feel the need to elaborate on.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    If you took the buttercup comment as an insult I’m surprised. If it upset you I’m shocked. You’ve thrown around way worse like it was common place. All that in a thread about a shotgun. How’d we get on politics again?
    I was actually trying to help you feel better
    You hurt my feelings and that’s just plain old fashion communism. Come on man you know me. Lol

Last edited:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I bet the decision to block the mag was made by a lawyer and not an engineer.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I bet the decision to block the mag was made by a lawyer and not an engineer.
    That’s a possibility I hadn’t considered. I could definitely believe that. I may find out if they reply to my obnoxious email answering their reply. I went full left wing activist on them. Ok maybe like 2/3 activist. Really I just whined and griped for like 4 paragraphs. They might not reply. Or maybe I’ll get some free ****.

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Much more important question, how many 45lc boolits can I fit in that "Pump Judge" !!!

Taurus is missing a great opportunity. "The Pump Judge" would be an instant hit in the anti carjack and snake phobia circles. I can see the vids now, soccer moms destroying silhouette targets from the safety of their minivans. If they limit it to 2 rounds out the box (maybe with this long dowel it is already there) I can even see Ole Creepy Joe giving it his seal of approval.

Top Bottom