ammo 'stash' question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Confidence in your weapon ,ammo and abilities are paramount . If when it is do or die you can't afford to be doubtful about anything . Practice and multiple successful bangs give confidence . If your experience is not as good with factory ammo as it is with your loads you are going to be less confident with factory or visa versa . I'm not talking about internet opinion or "expert" opinion I'm talking about real life experiences .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    That would indeed be ignorant. It would also be beyond ignorant to believe any ammunition, reloaded or factory, is impervious to failures. It’s also why malfunction clearance drills are often taught in even the most basic defensive firearms courses. You may know that if you attended training at any point in your life.

Y’all mean to tell me one of my core locks might not go bang?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    It would be ignorant to assume you are the only person on a gun forum who has had any training. Oh wait, beyond ignorant. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say there’s nobody here who doesn’t already know to hand cycle the action on a gun when it fails to fire. But there may be that random person who needs training to know that.
    I’ll also venture to say that nobody visits this site to have some random member attempt to insult their intelligence or otherwise insult them unprovoked.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It would be ignorant to assume you are the only person on a gun forum who has had any training. Oh wait, beyond ignorant. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say there’s nobody here who doesn’t already know to hand cycle the action on a gun when it fails to fire. But there may be that random person who needs training to know that.
    I’ll also venture to say that nobody visits this site to have some random member attempt to insult their intelligence or otherwise insult them unprovoked.

Do you feel you have been insulted?

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Maybe this would be a good time to derail the post and debate double strike capable versus rack in fresh round .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    ... There isn't a single statute in the state of Louisiana that makes it a crime to use reloaded ammunition in a firearm. Anyone using reloaded ammunition in a defensive firearm for self defense is doing so out of ignorance.

I’ll admit that I have concerns even about carrying fluted ammunition because of recent events and lawsuits.

The only things that I question are related to the current bias of certain demographics and political persuasions and regional stupidity. Such as:

1. The “just shoot-em in the leg” nonsense.
    2. “Why did you have to shoot him? OK, he was going for a gun, fighting with LE and was a known felon and child molester. But why did you have to shoot him?”
    3. I know of one state (New Jersey) where it’s illegal to possess hollow point ammunition. (“If non-hollow points are good enough for the military, why do these mean gun people need hollow points?”)

My concern is that some clever ambulance chaser or lib-tard prosecutor will use it against me.

However, I still carry both hollow points and fluted ammo. (But if asked, I neither confirm or deny!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’ll admit that I have concerns even about carrying fluted ammunition because of recent events and lawsuits.

The only things that I question are related to the current bias of certain demographics and political persuasions and regional stupidity. Such as:

1. The *just shoot-em in the leg* nonsense.
    2. *Why did you have to shoot him? OK, he was going for a gun, fighting with LE and was a known felon and child molester. But why did you have to shoot him?*
    3. I know of one state (New Jersey) where it’s illegal to possess hollow point ammunition. (*If non-hollow points are good enough for the military, why do these mean gun people need hollow points?*)

My concern is that some clever ambulance chaser or lib-tard prosecutor will use it against me.

However, I still carry both hollow points and fluted ammo. (But if asked, I neither confirm or deny!)

I understand your worries and I worry about BS like that too. But I’m not going to let any of it influence my defense strategies and doing whatever I feel gives me the edge. In a life or death struggle the last thing on my mind is fighting fair. I want to fight to survive. If I perceive a threat to life or limb or family I’m going to do whatever is in my power to win, even if it includes summoning the hounds of hell and howitzer. Nothing that some asswipe DA tries to do to me after the fact would come close to the pain of dealing with a loss that occurred because I held back to any degree. Same with any wrongful death lawsuit.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yep. Me too.

As I wrote, even with my concerns I’ve also chosen to carry the best ammo option I can find*. If there was a heat-seeking, decapitating round I’d want some.

In the case of home defense, if I had Claymores I’d deploy and use them. (“Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.”)

*I’ll admit that the best is an eternal journey. I continue to read reports, study charts and watch performance tests. I also enjoy testing on my own with products that I haven’t used before. At a minimum, it is more shooting...probably a joy for most of the BS members!

Back to the original query, like others have stated to the poster, I think it’s better all around to use commercial ammo for defense.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

1. The *just shoot-em in the leg* nonsense.
    2. *Why did you have to shoot him? OK, he was going for a gun, fighting with LE and was a known felon and child molester. But why did you have to shoot him?*
    3. I know of one state (New Jersey) where it’s illegal to possess hollow point ammunition. (*If non-hollow points are good enough for the military, why do these mean gun people need hollow points?*)

What is fluted ammunition and why do you carry two types of ammunition?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

He must be talking about these pistol rounds loaded with a fluted projectile. It looks sort of like a phillips screwdriver bit loaded into the case. Some are produced in pure copper. Extreme terminal performance in flesh the makers all claimed.

Here is a link to an article with some examples: https://gunsmagazine.com/discover/fluted-ammo-great-or-gimmik/

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA

Barnes developed the “Honey Badger” round and others followed suit. It makes a large wound channel without deforming so it continues to damage as long as it has velocity. The projectile is a hard copper alloy and is lighter for much higher velocity.
    ca73a6defccddf383ee6f18db98cda47.jpg

Some manufacturers make a copper-polymer alloy.

75bc90fac9080609f337b4e63687c6e2.jpg

Surprisingly they feed flawlessly in everything I own. I’ve shot them in .380, 9mm and .45.

Mostly I like Hornady Critical Duty. It is a +P conventional hollow point with a polymer insert to improve penetration.

I have found that in shorter barrels, (e.g. “compacts”) the fluted bullets seem to inflict more damage than conventional rounds (in my experience). That is why I have two types.

I have considered loading some magazines with alternating rounds. However, I read two articles that viewed this practice unfavorably.

Anyone else load mixed types? Any results?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom