Best Bag to Carry Laptop/iPad and a Pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Looking for recommendations on an edc bag. I recently started carrying a 12” iPad Pro to and from work and I’m looking for a bag that can hold that, easily hold a holstered pistol, offer relatively easy access, but not look tacticool.

I’m not sure if I want messenger bag style, one shoulder, backpack etc. but I’d be happy to hear discussion of the pros and cons of each type.

Besides the pistol and ipad, just a few basic edc items would be carried, so it doesn’t need to be huge.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Off body carry in itself is generally a bad idea, but can be useful, so I won't lecture you on any of that.

The issue you will face is one that revolves around the pistol itself, because the majority of non-tactical bags don't accommodate a pistol. You want something to secure the holster to the bag and not have it flop around. This narrows your options down to concealed carry specific bags. The most common would be Vertx, but you also have lesser known options like Alpha One Niner. The issue with Vertx will be that the laptop compartment is also the compartment used to attach a holster and magazines. It's an either/or type bag rather than both. The Alpha One Niner Chio would be perfect for what you are after, but it will only accommodate up to a 10.5" Macbook. I have one myself and it's quite handy.

You are definitely going to want a sling if it will carry a loaded pistol. Backpacks won't allow you to quickly access the concealed compartment unless you carry it like a sling and at that point... just get a sling, but since you're also carrying a laptop, you may need a backpack. I would then recommend the Alpha One Niner Evade, but it's a unicorn and you will have a difficult time finding one.

Personally, I would suggest finding a way to carry on your person and get something suitable for the laptop. If you exhausted all options for on body carry or simply not permitted to, then I might be able to help you with a bag.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Off body carry in itself is generally a bad idea, but can be useful, so I won't lecture you on any of that.

The issue you will face is one that revolves around the pistol itself, because the majority of non-tactical bags don't accommodate a pistol. You want something to secure the holster to the bag and not have it flop around. This narrows your options down to concealed carry specific bags. The most common would be Vertx, but you also have lesser known options like Alpha One Niner. The issue with Vertx will be that the laptop compartment is also the compartment used to attach a holster and magazines. It's an either/or type bag rather than both. The Alpha One Niner Chio would be perfect for what you are after, but it will only accommodate up to a 10.5" Macbook. I have one myself and it's quite handy.

You are definitely going to want a sling if it will carry a loaded pistol. Backpacks won't allow you to quickly access the concealed compartment unless you carry it like a sling and at that point... just get a sling, but since you're also carrying a laptop, you may need a backpack. I would then recommend the Alpha One Niner Evade, but it's a unicorn and you will have a difficult time finding one.

Personally, I would suggest finding a way to carry on your person and get something suitable for the laptop. If you exhausted all options for on body carry or simply not permitted to, then I might be able to help you with a bag.

So I’m a Chef and restaurant owner, spend most of my day between the kitchen and front of house. I wear jeans and a T Shirt and I don’t feel the need/nor have the desire to carry while I’m at work.

I like the idea of having something to slide my pistol in when I’m not carrying. This is really just for work.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So I’m a Chef and restaurant owner, spend most of my day between the kitchen and front of house. I wear jeans and a T Shirt and I don’t feel the need/nor have the desire to carry while I’m at work.

I like the idea of having something to slide my pistol in when I’m not carrying. This is really just for work.

Some things to think about:
    Who has access to the location where your bag is located?
    Is it secured?

You don't have to tell us, but it's food for thought.

When you carry your iPad, is it sleeved or just out and ready to grab?

bipolarbear

SevenGun
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    NOLA
    I liked VertX bags. The bags are extremely well made and durable. They have a inconspicuous look to them as well. Is it really concealed if its covered in Molle or looks like something from Rainbow Six. I dont carry a handgun in them anymore, but still use the Takagomi stuff to hold tools securely in the bag for work. I first saw them over at Perrets, its been a while though so I dont know if they still carry them.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I'm a big fan of Cannae Pro Gear. You might like the Legion Day pack by Cannae. I think it would fit your needs perfectly. I have two and have one with me pretty much at all times. Has a concealed carry area and they make a nice strong velcro holster to keep your firearm secure and up close to the top of the pack or to have in whatever position you prefer. I'll gladly shoot you some pictures of mine if you're curious, just message me. Bag also has plenty of room for whatever else you need. 100% lifetime warranty. I believe they just released a new version of the Legion. I don't know what the differences are and can't give you any info on the new one, but I've had two of the original Legions for years and really like them. I buy direct from Cannae, but you can also find their stuff on Ebay or Amazon.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    I'd think that any type of good messenger bag with a top-access rear body-side pocket (for the pistol) would work great for this purpose. Super discreet, and some are extremely well built. Style totally depends on your personal aesthetic of course. I think the Peak Design Everyday Messenger and 5.11 Rush Delivery are pretty slick looking; some other good brands are Herschell, Jack Spade, Timbuk2, or Chrome Industries but there are dozens of good manufacturers.

If you're willing to share the name of the restaurant, I'd love to come check it out and patronize a brother in arms.

Iancallahan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Houma
    Viktos came out with a new sling pack that is about as un tacticool as you can get. The gray man series by hazard 4 would also be what your looking for as well.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Look at Countycomm.com. They have a nice bag or two. I ordered one but it was too small for a larger laptop, but it is VERY well made and perfect for what you need. I use a 511 medium briefcase which I like. Well made.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom