Nationwide Firearm and Ammunition Shortage.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    A shortage of ammunition in the U.S. is set to continue following record firearms sales this year. Reasons suggested for the high arms sales figures include uncertainty amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the upcoming presidential election and civil unrest seen in recent months across the country.

"During President [Donald] Trump's administration, the number of concealed handgun permits has soared to over 19.48 million–a 34 percent increase over 2016," a Crime Prevention Research Center report released earlier this month said.

The report also said 17 states "no longer provide data on all the people who are legally carrying a concealed handgun because people in those states no longer need a permit to carry."

Black Gun Ownership is Surging in Michigan Ahead of Election

"Permits for women and minorities continue to increase at a much faster rate than for either men or whites. Alabama has the highest concealed carry rate—28.5 percent of adults holding a permit, with Indiana in second with 18.7 percent," the report said.

Five states were reported to have more than a million permit holders, while 7.6 percent of American adults have permits. Outside California and New York, about 9.2 percent of the adult population has a permit, according to the report.

"Ammo is very hard to obtain right now and prices are just going through the roof," Gene Smith, the co-owner of Hoover Tactical Firearm, told Birmingham's WBRC.
    "Business has been very brisk. People are concerned. We have a presidential election going on and it happens every four years, things get very busy.

"You have people that are buying guns who have never owned one before," he added.

Minnesota was reported to have done nearly 35,000 background checks for gun purchases in August, up from about 21,900 done in the same month last year, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF).

Gun and ammunition purchases increased in Minnesota following the killing of George Floyd, who died while in the custody of Minneapolis police, as well as the protests that took place since his death.

Similar to the panic buying of household supplies seen in the earlier stages of the outbreak, gun and ammunition sales began rising in March, according to vendors.

Back in March, the National Instant Crime Background Check System of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) reported 2.3 million background checks associated with firearm sales, which was the largest monthly total seen since record-keeping began.

"We've had sustained, elevated purchases of firearms for several months. Our expectation is that this will continue through the election," Olivia said last month.

Dave Bean, owner of the Get Guns Now shop in Oakdale, Minnesota, told The Star Tribune last month: "Manufacturers can't keep up with the demand anymore. The industry's never been hit this hard before."

An agent at Minnesota's Gunstop of Minnetonka, Dave Amon, told The Star Tribune last month: "I've seen a lot more single moms that are scared and need something to protect them. They're scared when people talk about defunding the police."

Amon also noted ammunition supplies have been down due to factories facing shutdowns due to the pandemic and other social distancing restrictions that limit the number of employees and ultimately limit the productivity of each facility.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    If I owned a gun shop, I wouldn't sell guns or ammo to registered democrats. You would have to show me your voter registration card before I make the sale.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    FWIW, I blame distributors for this mess.

If I owned a gun shop, I wouldn't sell guns or ammo to registered democrats. You would have to show me your voter registration card before I make the sale.

Would you also prohibit gays, muslims, jews, asian, black, or anyone else that doesn't agree with you? Sounds like something the anti-gunners would actually do.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Why? They're just middlemen. I'm sure they don't want to be low on stock any more than the gun stores want to be.

Mike

Speaking with friends in the business of selling ammunition, distribution has been making it cumbersome to place orders. Retailers are able to order ammunition through distributors, but at increased costs. If they want old prices, they will sit on a waiting list forever. This has caused some issues. If you don't think distributors have been a problem, ask Federal why they decided to start selling direct, cutting out both the distributor and retailer. As a manufacturer, it's pretty crappy to see your customer making large profits off of your product, so why not just cut them out completely.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Before long I’ll be able to sell off half my stores and retire, lol!

It’ll be back on the road to recovery by the summer guys. Don’t fret. Just save your money til then. Let the newbie dummies spend the money now. They’ll burn out soon enough. We’ve been through this a few times before. I looked back over my purchases from last year about this time to reaffirm what ammo was going for and what it will be going for again. When nobody could get 22 ammo during the Obama days I stated as much. Things got back to normal pretty quick after Clinton was replaced by Bush Jr. (9mm less than $5 per box in the mid 90’s) and after Obama was replaced by Trump.
    Add to history repeating itself and the cycle we’ve all seen, ammo import and production is at a level we have never seen. What do you guys think is going to happen when the manufacturers get ahead of the demand with all that surplus they’ll suddenly have? What happened to the AR prices and availability after Trump was elected? You could pin together a new AR for 300 bucks is what happened. Anybody here own any complete lowers that they paid $119 each for shipped to your FFL? Wanna see some?
    I’m not buying any ammo right now. I didn’t need any over the past couple years but I bought plenty because it was cheap. I used money I saved during the Obama years...

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    If I’m
    Not mistaken Alabama is a simple process to obtain a CHL. With record numbers of first time gun owners and a shortage of ammo one would imagine there are many untrained, ammo starved gun owners. Not the best scenario if things do go sideways. I just hope the purchases are in support of freedom and not for evil doings.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA

The voter registration would not prove anything. There are Republicans who don’t like guns(one of my wife’s aunts is one of those) I know a few Democrats who own guns and did not support Obama or Clinton. There are still Conservative Democrats in Louisiana who voted for Trump and will do so again.
    Let’s not forget about the Sanders or nobody Democrats who hate Jim Crow Joe Biden and support the 2nd Amendment!

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA

HaHaHaHa.... I like your joke. If one could live in fantasy land, that would be my wish too.

Thankfully, after going through several of the ammo "droughts" I purchased ammo cans and filled them up with ammo for every caliber and gauge I shoot. I do not worry for myself now, but only the good people who cannot afford to stockpile. As long as I do not have a boating accident, I will be fine.

Hopefully, all of the new gun owners will understand the lay of the land and vote accordingly.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If I’m
    Not mistaken Alabama is a simple process to obtain a CHL. With record numbers of first time gun owners and a shortage of ammo one would imagine there are many untrained, ammo starved gun owners. Not the best scenario if things do go sideways. I just hope the purchases are in support of freedom and not for evil doings.

All the more reason to seek training.

CHP applications were at a record high. The processing time has increased. More people are buying guns and ammo for self protection. I don't think the ammo sales are due to bad guys going into Academy.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    More people are buying guns and ammo for self protection. I don't think the ammo sales are due to bad guys going into Academy.

The bad guys are waiting for the newbies to leave their shinie new protection in their unlocked car.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    FWIW, I blame distributors for this mess.

Would you also prohibit gays, muslims, jews, asian, black, or anyone else that doesn't agree with you? Sounds like something the anti-gunners would actually do.

If I owned the shop I have a right not to sell to anyone I please. I should have said Biden supporting Democrats to be more clear. I figured I'd get a smart ass remark from someone anyway, If I recall you and I have minced words before.

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    Speaking with friends in the business of selling ammunition, distribution has been making it cumbersome to place orders. Retailers are able to order ammunition through distributors, but at increased costs. If they want old prices, they will sit on a waiting list forever. This has caused some issues. If you don't think distributors have been a problem, ask Federal why they decided to start selling direct, cutting out both the distributor and retailer. As a manufacturer, it's pretty crappy to see your customer making large profits off of your product, so why not just cut them out completely.

I am a retailer who buys manufacturer direct. Manufacturers are having problems getting components. Raw material processing took a hit with covid, and with many processors of raw materials working less than full production schedules due to the virus regulations, and personnel issues it is causing doesn't look to let up any time soon. Many wholesalers went out of business in 2019. Like many of the smaller producers, most of the small parts for a majority of manufacturers of ammo, and AR parts, come from a small handful of larger national production companies. There are a lot of firearms, and ammunition manufacturers going direct, or direct to dealer as a business model now, as it makes the most sense for efficiency, and maximizing profit, while offering a more affordable final cost.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I am a retailer who buys manufacturer direct. Manufacturers are having problems getting components. Raw material processing took a hit with covid, and with many processors of raw materials working less than full production schedules due to the virus regulations, and personnel issues it is causing doesn't look to let up any time soon. Many wholesalers went out of business in 2019. Like many of the smaller producers, most of the small parts for a majority of manufacturers of ammo, and AR parts, come from a small handful of larger national production companies. There are a lot of firearms, and ammunition manufacturers going direct, or direct to dealer as a business model now, as it makes the most sense for efficiency, and maximizing profit, while offering a more affordable final cost.

Do you have any 9mm ammunition for sale reasonable?

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    We are paying damn near retail from some distributors for common caliber ammo. Its pretty fcuking ridiculous. But...we have ammo!

A positive byproduct of this situation is that we have been pushed to go more dealer direct for inventory. This has helped because we have established some pretty good relationships for the future.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    really bad for the indoor gun ranges that sell ammo for there range... either they gotta jack the price up or turn customers away because of no ammo.... im glad i was stocked up and saw it comming and i got a good ammo plug :mamoru: ive picked up 3k rounds of 9mm brass in the last 3 weeks for $500

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

I’m all for manufacturer direct sales and manufacturer to retail sales. Distributors have made of a mess of things and it shows.

We are paying damn near retail from some distributors for common caliber ammo. Its pretty fcuking ridiculous. But...we have ammo!

A positive byproduct of this situation is that we have been pushed to go more dealer direct for inventory. This has helped because we have established some pretty good relationships for the future.

That seems to be the way to go for sure.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom