Ammo Back Orders

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MillYak

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have 5.56 and .223 ammo on backorder at about .40 cents per round through a popular online retailer. The fill dates are tentatively set for late October and early November, and so far haven't changed. What are your experiences with back orders? Are the orders being filled, or continuously pushed back further, or cancelled? I am not hoarding, just hoping to not run dry so that I can continue occasional target shooting with my sons.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I had some scheduled to ship 10/15 (placed order in August)....Ten days prior the estimated shipping date was switched to Mid-January. This was for .223 & 9mm x 19 FMJ....This was with Sportsman's Guide.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    I have 5.56 and .223 ammo on backorder at about .40 cents per round through a popular online retailer. The fill dates are tentatively set for late October and early November, and so far haven't changed. What are your experiences with back orders? Are the orders being filled, or continuously pushed back further, or cancelled? I am not hoarding, just hoping to not run dry so that I can continue occasional target shooting with my sons.

I had 3,000 rounds of 9mm on backorder from June and just got it a few days ago at 20 cents per round. Not bad. Took them 4 months, but got them at a good price. One time I had a backorder of MPX mags at $20 per mag from Cabela's and those took 1 year. Most big companies usually honor their backorders.

pandabear

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 1, 2014
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Had the same experience with The Sportman's Guide. Order some .556 about 10 months ago, got another push back(which is expected)to mid January. But back than I paid .26/round, so it's no big deal.
    Optic Planet is taking backorders now. Place another order of 6K on 9mm @.26/round. Said it'll be here in 45 days. If it shows up on time, Great. If its delay, no big deal. Just hoarding!!!!!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Had the same experience with The Sportman's Guide. Order some .556 about 10 months ago, got another push back(which is expected)to mid January. But back than I paid .26/round, so it's no big deal.
    Optic Planet is taking backorders now. Place another order of 6K on 9mm @.26/round. Said it'll be here in 45 days. If it shows up on time, Great. If its delay, no big deal. Just hoarding!!!!!
    Haha! Good luck my friend! Hope it comes early!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Sportsman's Guide is bad about selling items they don't have. A friend and I tried ordering some ammunition that showed in stock from them earlier this year, just for them to tell us it wasn't really in stock and that they would gladly put us on a backorder list with an undetermined lead time.

MillYak

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for the feedback. The ammo I have back ordered is also from Sportsman's Guide. Sounds like I better grab some elsewhere while waiting for the backorders to come through.

Last edited:

pandabear

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 1, 2014
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Thanks for the feedback. The ammo I have back ordered is also from Sportsman's Guide. Sounds like I better grab some elsewhere while waiting for the backorders to cone through.

Yea, If you're not in too much of a hurry, I would go to Optic Planet and try my luck there. They did say two months or less. They have 3 types of 9mm for sale. Its just kills me to see these fools here price gouging (some newly join for this very purpose) selling their shits for .50 to .60 per round. To me thats Bull ****!!!!!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Yea, If you're not in too much of a hurry, I would go to Optic Planet and try my luck there. They did say two months or less. They have 3 types of 9mm for sale. Its just kills me to see these fools here price gouging (some newly join for this very purpose) selling their shits for .50 to .60 per round. To me thats Bull ****!!!!!

I see Inexpensive Non Defensive 9mm rounds listed here per 50 rounds:
    $25
    $30
    $30
    $50
    I have Premium Defensive HST listed at $38 per 50 rounds.

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    I know several people that have had to file reports with the BBB over optic planets business practices.
    And a quick search online reveals their true 1.5 star rating, not the fake 4.4 star rating on their website.

I wouldn't trust anything they print or say .

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Brownells, Midway USA, Powder Valley, and MidSouth Shooters Supply have all honored backorders for me without issue. No charge until shipping, and no price increase.

ETA: MidSouth honored a backorder that was over a year old. Primers... Wasn't gonna cancel that one.

Last edited:

MillYak

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Brownells, Midway USA, Powder Valley, and MidSouth Shooters Supply have all honored backorders for me without issue. No charge until shipping, and no price increase.

ETA: MidSouth honored a backorder that was over a year old. Primers... Wasn't gonna cancel that one.

Thank you Davidd.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    Ammo shortages are kind of suspect lately. The buying surge explains it in my mind. That said backordering anything makes me nervous considering my past experience of cancellations and ending up sourcing additional orders. I’m pretty disappointed in the ammo whole sales up charging for ammo given factories are working non stop. Up charging above retail for ammo is a moral crime from my perspective. I am noting the companies doing this, and they will not get my business in the future period. We should create a government bureau that stocks arms and ammo for WHOLESALE civilian sales: problem solved. A few ammo middle men towing the line but still selling at reasonable prices and these guys will continue to get my business.

MillYak

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I had some scheduled to ship 10/15 (placed order in August)....Ten days prior the estimated shipping date was switched to Mid-January. This was for .223 & 9mm x 19 FMJ....This was with Sportsman's Guide.

oleheat, i just received my notifications on Friday, my back orders have been pushed to January.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    I agree, they are too unreliable, I had ammo on back order since June, they keep pushing the date back.

the things I have ordered eventually showed up, other things, not this ammo. They don’t charge you until it ships.

I cancelled my ammo order anyway, it was 9mm at about 38/40 cents a round.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    These listed are good, also the Sportsman’s Guide has always come thru for me, they just don’t take a ton of back orders. (# of items)

Top Bottom