Join BayouShooter For Free
Meplat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21
    Shooter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 323MAR View Post
    I graduated from McMain Magnet. It’s nice to see that we both went to school in Uptown. It was nice when we were in school, and it’s still a nice part of the town.
    Yes sir, that is cool. I remember you said in an earlier post you recently discharged from the Marines. I figured you were much younger than I. Did you serve 4 years or 20 years in the Marines? I'm guessing your family has lived in NO for some time too.

    Get this, I remember when a Lottoburger @ Frostop was 95 cents. Had a GF who lived right on Claiborne (couple houses off Burdette St corner) and spent many many hours sitting on her front stoop talking, hanging out, or watching the traffic go by. The Wendling family.

    NO was so great to grow up as a teen. You could catch a bus or streetcar and go anywhere via public transportation, and a transfer ticket. Me and my buddy would take our fishing poles and 5 gal buckets on the buses to the lakefront to fish. Or City Park, I caught a 5 lb 4 oz largemouth bass in City Park when I was age 10. Still hanging on the wall today in my computer room.
    Last edited by John_; October 19th, 2020 at 10:59 PM.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -- George Santayana

  2. #22
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    I
    Quote Originally Posted by John_ View Post
    Four more shot on Almonaster Ave in NO this afternoon and one is dead. And they surely were not Tulane students.
    No surprise there! Almonasty is part of New Orleans East. Bad news overall!

  3. #23
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    [QUOTE=John_;1731700]Yes sir, that is cool. I remember you said in an earlier post you recently discharged from the Marines. I figured you were much younger than I. Did you serve 4 years or 20 years in the Marines? I'm guessing your family has lived in NO for some time too

    I was in 20 years including my reserve time. I was discharged from the reserves just a few years ago. My initial active duty ended in 1998. That was followed by two periods of active duty with a reserve unit.

    I am glad that you have nice memories of life in the good parts New Orleans. I respect your opinions on the city since you actually came up here. I am still in love with the city. It is possible that I will feel differently when I am older.

  4. #24
    Shooter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 323MAR View Post
    I was in 20 years including my reserve time. I was discharged from the reserves just a few years ago. My initial active duty ended in 1998. That was followed by two periods of active duty with a reserve unit.

    I am glad that you have nice memories of life in the good parts New Orleans. I respect your opinions on the city since you actually came up here. I am still in love with the city. It is possible that I will feel differently when I am older.
    First off, thank you for your career/service in our beloved US Marine Corps. Second, much of my opinion on NO is my perception, not to say its 100% accurate. There are many folks who came to NO and fell in love with the place and more importantly, the people. And stayed on for years or indefinitely. It is a special place for sure for many reasons. The people, the music, the spirit, and the food. Me and another buddy rode our motorcycles to NO for the first Saints home game back in the Dome after Katrina. We didn't attend the game as we had no tickets but we hung out on Poydras St and enjoyed the atmosphere, the party outside the Dome for a couple hours. Then we came back to Laplace and watched the game and had a beer or two or three. The Saints crushed the dirty birds (ATL) that night, and it was so good. It was a football game and more importantly, about the enduring spirit of the NO folks and south LA, and recovery. It was electric!

    Later Superbowl 44 and more electricity and let the good times roll in da city and state
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -- George Santayana

  5. #25
    Donít troll me bro!

    User Info Menu

    Yeah, NOLA. I changed my tune about the place when a certain mayor started talking about chocolate city stuff and let the place drown. I think after Katrina I may have gone for entertainment 3 or 4 times. The wife and I pretty much gave up on the place for any form of entertainment or business a decade ago or longer. I don’t look for any reason to frequent there besides using the airport these days. If I didn’t work in Baton Rouge I’d prolly steer clear of there as well.

  6. #26
    Shooter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    Yeah, NOLA. I changed my tune about the place when a certain mayor started talking about chocolate city stuff and let the place drown. I think after Katrina I may have gone for entertainment 3 or 4 times. The wife and I pretty much gave up on the place for any form of entertainment or business a decade ago or longer. I don’t look for any reason to frequent there besides using the airport these days. If I didn’t work in Baton Rouge I’d prolly steer clear of there as well.
    Ray Nagin, yeah he and his chocolate city dream went to federal prison. He was mayor during Katrina, and Eddie Compass was NOPD police chief who was relieved of command.

    "The terms of the sentencing include a possible release date of no earlier than May 25, 2023. However, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic spreading in the prison, authorities released Nagin to house arrest on April 27, 2020."

    Dat brother got a free pass thx to covid and liberals. Now @ home watching porn and feasting on Popeyes fried chicken.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -- George Santayana

  7. #27
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by John_ View Post
    First off, thank you for your career/service in our beloved US Marine Corps. Second, much of my opinion on NO is my perception, not to say its 100% accurate. There are many folks who came to NO and fell in love with the place and more importantly, the people. And stayed on for years or indefinitely. It is a special place for sure for many reasons. The people, the music, the spirit, and the food. Me and another buddy rode our motorcycles to NO for the first Saints home game back in the Dome after Katrina. We didn't attend the game as we had no tickets but we hung out on Poydras St and enjoyed the atmosphere, the party outside the Dome for a couple hours. Then we came back to Laplace and watched the game and had a beer or two or three. The Saints crushed the dirty birds (ATL) that night, and it was so good. It was a football game and more importantly, about the enduring spirit of the NO folks and south LA, and recovery. It was electric!

    Later Superbowl 44 and more electricity and let the good times roll in da city and state
    [QUOTE=John_;1731710]First off, thank you for your career/service in our beloved US Marine Corps. Second, much of my opinion on NO is my perception, not to say its 100% accurate. There are many folks who came to NO and fell in love with the place and more importantly, the people. And stayed on for years or indefinitely. It is a special place for sure for many reasons. The people, the music, the spirit, and the food. Me and another buddy rode our motorcycles to NO for the first Saints home game back in the Dome after Katrina. We didn't attend the game as we had no tickets but we hung out on Poydras St and enjoyed the atmosphere, the party outside the Dome for a couple hours. Then we came back to Laplace and watched the game and had a beer or two or three. The Saints crushed the dirty birds (ATL) that night, and it was so good. It was a football game and more importantly, about the enduring spirit of the NO folks and south LA, and recovery. It was electric!


    Thank you! I have really enjoyed reading about your fun times in New Orleans. My Wife and I were in the 600 level for that game. The concert before the game was awesome. It was just wonderful to even attend a Saints game after Katrina.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •