Which rifle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Looking for something to shoot squirrels. Is a 10/22 accurate enough for about 30 yard shots or should I get something like a Henry lever action? I shoot left handed, so most bolt actions are out.

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    A 10/22 will do just fine up to 100 yards. I harvested 1 squirrel and one rabbit with my 12guage this weekend using high brass #4 bird shot. I was ruffly 50 yards

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    While I love lever and bolt actions in general, because they just have that "feel" to them, using a semi-auto for squirrel hunting gives you the opportunity to sit still and not move at all when you miss. My 40 year old 10/22 with replacement match barrel will shoot around 1" at 50 yards rested. I imagine Ruger has a factory version these days that will do the same.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    While I love lever and bolt actions in general, because they just have that "feel" to them, using a semi-auto for squirrel hunting gives you the opportunity to sit still and not move at all when you miss. My 40 year old 10/22 with replacement match barrel will shoot around 1" at 50 yards rested. I imagine Ruger has a factory version these days that will do the same.

They actually do. The amount of offerings for the 10/22 is pretty amazing. You can get anything from a cheap plinker to a match ready gun out of the box.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    not very long ago me and my youngest took 9 cat squirrels under my feeder at 65yards with my ruger 10/22 takedown lite with a 16.25" barrel and silencerco sparrow out of my box stand... all that using cci standard velocity el cheapos... Was a gread day, my little boy loved them getting hit and flipping around why the others looked slightly concerned while still eating my corn, that is untill there lights switch was hit also... After killing 3-4 they would run up the tree for a few mins then climb over there fallen buddys to finish eating lol.. sooo yea i would say you good with a ruger 10-22

noahvale

shootist
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    Redstick
    Pretty much any .22 rifle will be good enough. Iron or scope don't really matter as long as they work for you. I like scopes on rifles, but I learned as a kid on iron sights. Ruger 10/22 is hard to beat for the price. Personally I think the low end Henrys are kinda cheap looking. Want the arguably best ever? Get a Marlin 39a if you can find one at a reasonable price. When they were new they sold for $189. I know of an unfired one for sale in Baton Rouge. He wants $899 for it and will get it. Get the 10/22.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom