Stolen gun??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So, you’re saying that when a LEO runs a check on a firearm and it comes back as reported stolen, there’s no follow up from anyone? Nobody contacts the person who ran the check on said firearm to investigate?
    I’m thinking you may have taken my generic use of ‘flag’ and ‘Explanation’ as something more specific.
    I’ll try again, it’s my understanding that running a firearm through the system that comes back as reported stolen would trigger someone to investigate the check. Are you saying that this not the case at all?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I've entered guns and cars and people into the system before. I have never gotten any message from the system that says SoAndSo did a search for your entered entity. On the flip side, I've searched the system for guns or cars or people and have gotten hits before. I have never had anyone contact me and ask me about a search, regardless of if it returned a hit or not.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    You would think you could go to your local police department and they would run a firearm serial number for you, to see if it is indeed reported stolen. I've seen them do this on Live PD tv program (in a traffic stop, or a gun found in a search) and it takes all of a couple minutes. The FBI or some sort of national database they access. Maybe they will do this for you? Some of our members here are active LE, is this possible if you went to the local PD office/building? Just take the SN written on a piece of paper, not walk in with the weapon.

the houma pd will/did do this for you, call book an appointment, show up with the gun, hand it over thru the slot in the window(handgun). they run it. they tell you if it coms back clean, or if no they ask questions.
    havent used them since 2012 so it may have changed. only did it 2x and neither was reported stolen.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think the issue with officers being reluctant to run it has to do with what was mentioned. An officer or detective could develop the name of a suspect and run it without being in the presence of that person. A license plate number can be seen in public or gotten through a police database and, like a person, be run without being in the presence of the vehicle. But a gun’s serial number isn’t as much of public information as a name or plate number. So if you give the serial number to a leo, there a pretty good chance you are in possession of that gun or you know who is. And that’s not something a leo should just ignore.

That being said, no, I won’t run a serial number for someone.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I think the issue with officers being reluctant to run it has to do with what was mentioned. An officer or detective could develop the name of a suspect and run it without being in the presence of that person. A license plate number can be seen in public or gotten through a police database and, like a person, be run without being in the presence of the vehicle. But a gun’s serial number isn’t as much of public information as a name or plate number. So if you give the serial number to a leo, there a pretty good chance you are in possession of that gun or you know who is. And that’s not something a leo should just ignore.

That being said, no, I won’t run a serial number for someone.

Agreed. I thought about this last night after our discussion here. There could be implications from running a SN for a citizen, things I know nothing about, procedures, ect. Perez knows all about the hows and whys of running a SN thru their database as a LEO.

What if I walk into my local police dept and request they run a SN for me and it comes back stolen, or worse yet involved in a shooting or murder (via prior ballistics testing and SN records/evidence)? So now the police want to know if I actually possess this firearm, and if I do not (running a potential purchase lets say) who does or where is it?

What if I refuse any info, could I be charged with a crime? Impeding a police investigation perhaps? Withholding evidence? I don't know as I have no experience or legal expertise on this, but I bet it sure could be trouble for me.

What if my now purchased firearm (and possessed) comes back stolen? Surely the police would want to seize it and use for evidence in a crime, or return the the original owner. What legitimate owner would not want their stolen property back?

Tonyaav

Tony
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Natchitoches ( outside of )
    John_
    All of that. All why I asked the question as I know there are bound to be much more knowledgeable members here than me.

What triggered me to ask .
    Someone ( another site not to be named ) offered me a trade fir my gun that is clearly not fair. His gun worth 500-600 more than mine. Sent me pics so I know exactly what I’m looking at.
    1. He doesn’t know what he has.
    2. He wants to dump it.

As soon as I asked for DL and BofS
    He stopped talking.

Is it none of my business ?
    Civic duty?
    Or is it some “ red flag” prick move to even care.

I have taken 0 action other than try to educate myself through this site and the inter webs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    the houma pd will/did do this for you, call book an appointment, show up with the gun, hand it over thru the slot in the window(handgun). they run it. they tell you if it coms back clean, or if no they ask questions.
    havent used them since 2012 so it may have changed. only did it 2x and neither was reported stolen.
    Awesome info. Thanks.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    John_
    All of that. All why I asked the question as I know there are bound to be much more knowledgeable members here than me.

What triggered me to ask .
    Someone ( another site not to be named ) offered me a trade fir my gun that is clearly not fair. His gun worth 500-600 more than mine. Sent me pics so I know exactly what I’m looking at.
    1. He doesn’t know what he has.
    2. He wants to dump it.

As soon as I asked for DL and BofS
    He stopped talking.

Is it none of my business ?
    Civic duty?
    Or is it some * red flag* prick move to even care.

I have taken 0 action other than try to educate myself through this site and the inter webs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think about it, why would he just suddenly go cold on you? He doesn't want a paper trail to him or he doesn't want you to really know who he is. Major red flags imo. Probably a stolen weapon (super great deal-red flag), or he is a felon and cannot legally own a firearm. I'd lean towards stolen myself.

I have sold quite a few pistols and rifles to individuals, and always put in my listings I need to see a LA drivers license or state ID to determine purchaser is a resident of Louisiana. I don't want to take a photo of it or record any info, I just want to verify residency. And I hand write a simple BOS we complete and I take a photo of and give the purchaser the original.

Never had a problem in 25 years following this procedure except one about 3 months ago. Guy "forgot" his DL when we met up, then lied to me. Needless to say, the deal didn't happen.

Many people just exchange the cash and the gun and go on their merry way. A few here have even defended this. Some might even sell a pistol to a minor with no ID produced. That makes it easy for a person NOT a resident of Louisiana to purchase a pistol or rifle. Or a minor to purchase a pistol. I do my best to be a responsible gun owner and make a responsible transaction. That's just the way I roll.

Nobody I ever met up with to sell (or me purchase) a weapon objected in 30 years. And they get a simple BOS to prove they purchased the weapon, and from who. Never had the police or FBI show up @ my house about a firearm I sold or purchased either in 30 years.

Private sales (classified ads) are the biggest loophole for prohibited individuals to purchase a firearm in many states. No background check, no 4473, just cash and go. Minor or felon or mentally ill. Buy today and shoot your neighbor or boss tomorrow. Or maybe the local church @ Sunday worship services.

I just searched the LA law and you can be charged for selling a pistol to a minor, or to a non-resident if you knew this @ the time of sale.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    And to be completely honest, I did recently sell my Savage 22 bolt action rifle without a BOS. I did see his DL briefly tho. I don't think he's gonna be a mass murderer with a 22 bolt action rifle.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    There are all kinds of cautions regarding access and/or dissemination of NCIC information beyond the authorized parameters for law enforcement use. If my buddy calls up and asks me to run a tag and tell him who owns a car, that's a definite no-no. However, businesses call about abandoned vehicles on their property all the time, and officers routinely check those to first verify they're not stolen, then tell the business that since it's private property, it is their option to have it towed away. In that case, though, no one is present and exercising specific control over that vehicle, as one would be assumed to be if asking for a gun's serial number to be checked, and the name or address information of the vehicle owner would not be disseminated to the business.

As a precautionary measure, schedule meets for sales/trades under a camera at a police department parking lot. Some departments actually have marked spaces dedicated for any such sale/trade activity arranged with strangers through ads or the internet. That should go a long way to discourage any nefarious ne'er-do-wells. It would have to be a real ballsy criminal to sell you a stolen gun on video in front of the police station. Wouldn't hurt to tell the dispatchers if a firearms transaction is about to go down right outside, though, so they will know in advance when a passer-by inevitably calls.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    As a precautionary measure, schedule meets for sales/trades under a camera at a police department parking lot. Some departments actually have marked spaces dedicated for any such sale/trade activity arranged with strangers through ads or the internet. That should go a long way to discourage any nefarious ne'er-do-wells. It would have to be a real ballsy criminal to sell you a stolen gun on video in front of the police station. Wouldn't hurt to tell the dispatchers if a firearms transaction is about to go down right outside, though, so they will know in advance when a passer-by inevitably calls.

You know I have very recently thought about moving my purchase or sale transactions of a firearm to the local PD parking lot. I have been meeting in a drugstore parking lot, public area lots of traffic, daylight hours. But there are so many people purchasing firearms right now via private sales and I'm surprised there have not been stick ups or rip offs @ these meet and greets. When I sold my Colt Python I was a bit more careful, a $1300 pistol. But really any AR sale would qualify. Wads of cash and firearms, what could possibly go wrong? I sold my 450 BM and ammo for $1240 and he paid me in all twenties. ATM twenties, happened a couple times like this.

Hammond PD has a spot right in front of their building entry for person to person private sales hookups. Has a couple video cameras monitoring the area. I don't know how they would respond to a guy carrying an AR15 for a meet up. I'm not so sure it would go over well, but I could be wrong. I think the intent is more for non-firearms transactions. I need to inquire with HPD about a meet and greet for a firearm sale on their property.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    And the main defense I've heard from the non-dl advocates is you can't know if you don't ask.

No doubt. When you don't care who is buying your firearm, just the cash hitting ur pocket. Or you feel you don't want to trample the 2nd amendment sort of excuse.

Sell your AR-15 556 pistol to a 14 yo teen. Don't ask, don't tell.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom