Article on AR mags

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It’s a good read for sure.

I stopped fighting it a long time ago and just buy what I know works; Gen 3 PMAG and Okay Industries Surefeed.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Good read.
    I like both gen 2 and gen 3 PMAGs and have had zero issues with them except the slot for quick loading with a spoon and stripper clips does not provide the best lockup and without proper support of one hand while pushing in the rounds, the spoon will detach. This can be remedied by technique.
    The anti tilt followers that Magpul designed have been adopted for use in other mags and were the fix for one of the primary problems with the AR15 magazine.
    I own plenty of different AR mags, steel, aluminum and polymer, but Magpul are my favorite. I’ve heard some shooters say that a steel mag is tougher and more reliable in the case of damage to the mag. If the mag gets crunched under weight it may fail, etc. but metal mags that get even slightly crushed will retain any dents or depressions more so than any polymer mag, which would be more likely to spring back to its original shape. Ive bought a couple hundred H&K steel and aluminum mil surp mags over the years because they were always a couple bucks or less. One would be surprised at the number of mags that had sticky followers because of dents, depressions and mags that look like they got squeezed or stepped on in the field once emptied. Same goes for some of the FAL mags I’ve bought.
    I’ve heard that the US military will not adopt or allow Magpul mags and if that’s the case I’m sure they have their reasons, but I prefer them over what I’ve accumulated in GI mags.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Good read for sure thanks for posting.
    All I have here are 20 and 30 round Colt, Okay and some other 30 round surplus as far as metal.
    I in the last 5 years or bought Gen 5 MagPul in 20 and 30 round in 5.56.
    I also have some D&H 20 and 30 round in 300 Black Out.
    As,I type this I have some 5.56 Gen 3 converted to 9mm by CMMG and some kits to convert them as well. I think the kits are made by Endo and rebagged by CMMG. I have been on a Magazine buying spree never know Uncle Joe coukd be the next POTUS.
    Or Pressident Trump bend us over being a Lame Duck Pressident to get brownie point's for another thing he needs to happen.
    I do put it past the right wing either.
    They will all toss under the bus if it suits them to do so!
    And telling the Goverment I lost them in a boating wreck may not work with the plastic ones.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs

Interesting from that article was them running a non standard - standard which the Gen3 addresses. While I’m not keeping up with the IAR by any means I didn’t realized the mag wells were not kept to industry standard or tolerances....

That being said, I have not found any issues with the gen2s but if I should need to purchase anything new I’d go with the gen3s.

"There is indeed an issue with respect to Infantry Automatic Rifle (IAR) compatibility with the first generation, and MREV, or GEN M2 PMAG, due to the IAR having an SA-80/HK416 specification magazine well as opposed to the standard, Colt-specification magazine well of other U.S. service arms. While we certainly wish the IAR was specified with a standard magazine well, it has been fielded as submitted, and this incompatibility now presents a safety and survivability issue for those Marines deployed in combat," Magpul clarified.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Interesting from that article was them running a non standard - standard which the Gen3 addresses. While I’m not keeping up with the IAR by any means I didn’t realized the mag wells were not kept to industry standard or tolerances....

That being said, I have not found any issues with the gen2s but if I should need to purchase anything new I’d go with the gen3s.

Yup, I own a few of both Gen 2 and 3 and no worries except for loading from strippers. They run fine in all my older Colt rifles as well.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Taken from the CA Military Department Combat Shooting Team's post:

What causes magazine spring fatigue? Constant compression from being fully-loaded, or repeated compression/decompression cycling?
    Can you pre-load magazines and keep them in extended storage without concern about spring fatigue?
    Should you have multiple sets of magazines to cycle ammunition into and out of?
    We have the answer, and it might surprise you.
    The US Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center at Picatinny Arsenal set about finding the answer, and published their findings in Technical Report ARWSE-TR-16035, “Performance of 5.56mm 30 Round Magazines After Extended Loaded Storage,” August 2017.
    300 magazines were fully loaded, and for the next 5 years 30 magazines were fired for performance data collection every 6 months.
    Spring pressure was measured when the test began, and again at the time the magazines were pulled from storage.
    Stoppages were counted during the live fire testing.
    The data analyzed and published:
    NOT A SINGLE MAGAZINE-RELATED STOPPAGE.
    The next time you deploy, you can be confident that the pre-loaded magazines sitting in your vehicle bailout bag, or in ammo cans secured in your vehicle are reliable.
    And, you certainly won’t have to buy multiple sets of magazines to swap your ammo in and out of, over the course of your deployment, like I used to do.
    Just load your magazines, and keep them clean and protected. They’ll be fine.
    - SGT Ian Tashima, Asst State Marksmanship Coordinator.
    ETA NOTE: Standard US GI magazines, loaded to a full 30 rounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom