To go progressive or not...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    I havent ever owned anything but a lee press and powder measures, but I havent seen any issues with the measures, ive only loaded about 3000 rounds of 9mm,223,380,40,45 checked about every 5 rounds, but so far so good. I do find the Lee primer solution kind of wonky, so i do all my priming off press. I will have to dive deep into dillon research, seems some of their equipment is a different beast. I guess one of my questions would be, what comes with a base model 550? Its within my budget as long as I dont have to buy a ton of extra stuff.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    :D
    8138b2abb7363845f4ea825ec59abc26.jpg

GOOD LORD! 50 cal?? Jeezzzzz!

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    GOOD LORD! 50 cal?? Jeezzzzz!

Yeah, Bryan did the transfer on it so I had to pick at him when he mentioned that.
    It takes 1 1/2* threads.

I’ve got to throw my $.02 in though....
    Most of my loading is done on a single stage, but I do own a Dillon 550 that I bought from Brian.
    It’s exclusively 300 blk for me.
    Looking back, I should have paid up for a Dillon that auto indexes.
    One less step for just a little more money.

Joe504

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    It's a manual index, but it moves pretty fast.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    If you want to compare like for like as far as function you would have to compare with the 650 or 750 dillon. Both auto indexing 5 position presses. The 550 is a 4 position manual indexing press. There is no doubt that dillon makes a good press. They still are not immune to issues none of them are though. To get mine rigged up for the calibers i wanted i was going to be knocking on the 2k range. For the amount of loading i do it wasnt worth it to me. Ive had other priorities as of late which is why i havent purchased the first of possibly 3 loadmasters that i intend to buy. Both lee and dillon have great warranties, they both have their following. Ive owned lee presses, currently own quite a few sets of their dies and hand primers. I have a lyman press, rcbs and as ststed had the 550b so im not married to any one brand i buy what what i consider delivers what im looking for based on what im willing to invest. For me the dillon didnt do that. If i ran across another dillon for the right price setup with 1 or more calibers i might be inclined to buy it but im not searching for one.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Y'all are overlooking the Hornady LNL auto, which is comparable to the 650, it is real auto indexing for about the cost of a 550, plus you get 500 - 1000 free bullets with them

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    USPSA does a survey at each one of its National Matches. They have between 200 & 400 shooters at each of these. They ask many different questions. Such as home state, Gun being used, ammo used, reloads or factory. They also ask which reloading machine is used and the Dillon machines are used by 95% Of the competitors. This has been the rule since they started doing these surveys. Their magazine is Front Sight and you can look up the information.
    I’m not saying other Machines won’t work, what I am saying is Dillon has been a leader in the reloading market for many years. They make a very good product, at a reasonable price and they stand behind their products.

Bryan

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    USPSA does a survey at each one of its National Matches. They have between 200 & 400 shooters at each of these. They ask many different questions. Such as home state, Gun being used, ammo used, reloads or factory. They also ask which reloading machine is used and the Dillon machines are used by 95% Of the competitors. This has been the rule since they started doing these surveys. Their magazine is Front Sight and you can look up the information.
    I’m not saying other Machines won’t work, what I am saying is Dillon has been a leader in the reloading market for many years. They make a very good product, at a reasonable price and they stand behind their products.

Bryan

giphy.gif

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    I will keep a eye out for a pre loved one, new is too pricy for my blood.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Just watched a ultimate reloader video on the Dillon 1100, and all I can say is wow! Thing ran like a swiss watch, you could tell from just looking at it was quality. I think I will just stash my loot and get one of those eventually.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Just watched an ultimate reloader video on the Dillon 1100, and all I can say is wow! The thing ran like a swiss watch, you could tell from just looking at it was quality. I think I will just stash my loot and get one of those eventually.

That is what some places use to make ammo. For home, use get the Dillon 750xl.
    I ended up getting RCBS since it was very cheap for me for a few reasons and has done ok by me. But would get a Dillon if I was paying 100%
    The ProChucker was on sale, I had Cabela's points and they were having a free shipping sale. I also have 6or 8 RCBS powder dispensers and the most common sets of dies I have 2-3 sets of. So grabbed some extra plates it is an easy swap for calibers.
    To my door was about $250.00 after the sale price since I had the Cabela's points.
    Note the RCBS had problems with the Primer Station early on. But they fixed that before mine was made.
    So was a good buy for me for that reason.
    Some guys do well with the Red Machines on other sites But for the cost of Hornady, I would go Blue and never look back.

Last edited:

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Pretty much everything I have is Lee, powder measures, dies, trimmer everything except for a rcbs swage die kit and maybe one of my handgun dies. If Lee used more metal in their design and its hard to argue with the Dillon warranty. I dunno, will take me a while to save aside that kind of $$$. I guess im still undecided, I just really like the idea of 1 handle pull per round (once you get going) and im all about productivity :) At this point I cant make it as fast as i can shoot it. LOL

I have this, does that make me a club member?20201024_222306.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom