Chasing the reds again (Pics included)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My cousins and I planned some work on our camp this weekend so my wife and I snuck down a day early and hit the marsh on Friday. We woke up to rain so we didn’t get started as early as we would have liked but hey you take what the good lord gives you. We stopped at the marina for live shrimp and bait shrimp then headed to our put in spot. The tide was crazy high but was suppose to drop a little so I felt that we could prolly catch some during our trip. Right when we launched I realized my aerator in my bucket quit working so my live shrimp went to dead shrimp pretty dang quick. When you pay 25 cents each for the shrimp it does tend to get you a little aggravated but it was my fault as I should of put fresh batteries in the aerator. Our start time ended up being 8 am but besides dead shrimp conditions looked ok. It didn’t take us long before we caught the first fish and the rest of the trip was soon filled with fish catching memories. We end up limiting out on reds and caught two keeper trout to round out our catch. All of the fish were caught using bait shrimp under a cork. My wife had quite the day and ended up catching some beautiful reds. We released the two biggest ones she caught to swim again and caught a bunch of under size reds which made the time pass. Considering how the day started we ended up with some beautiful fish to put in the freezer. If you like to fish this is the time to hit the marsh.
    ed6dc5dd59339a2d23c3bdbafae486dc.jpg

bdba80538bf52c06f847e6e7a8fef409.jpg

369bbe4f90ec9d9b4539baca301888e7.jpg

08929606e7d447b684bd24687546507b.jpg

2cc0f703c871447d257f1ba1667a87c8.jpg

fb50d17d41e006d2591235f23f655ffc.jpg

1f9cb0ccaf477c88e323b2dcb7154456.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

babyboy70363

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Nice fish! If you don't mind me asking, where is the camp?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the kind words my friends. Glad some of you got in on the action last week. The camp is located in Grand Isle. If anyone wants more details where we caught these I’ll be glad to give you the exact location and where we go. We didn’t go more that probably 3/4 of a mile from Hwy 1. We have a loop that we make through the marsh most of the time, but yesterday we didn’t have to because we caught these in the first part of the loop, never needed to go any further. If you have young kids you should really come down and let them catch some of these fish. The fall is just about the best time to hook up with the fish and as far as technique goes, you cast the cork out with a shrimp and pop it every now and then. Y’all have a great weekend.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Question?????? Who is the better fisherman/fisherwoman?? Congrats on the catch. ...................................... drill sgt.

If the fisherwoman reads these threads, he better say the fisherwoman lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Any place to go if I don’t have a boat? Would like to let the kids try it. thanks!

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Anywhere on the side of Hwy 1 from Fourchon to Grand Isle. Check the tides and fish on a rising or falling tide. There are plenty of pull over stops along the highway. You may have to move some as in pick up and drive a 1/4 mile and fish again. Use A cork with 15 inch leader (20lb) and bait shrimp.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    That’s fantastic! This is a fish species that I have never heard of or seen here in my home state or in my travels. Really interesting. It looks like a cross between a tropical bass, carp, and a cod. I have seen whitefish similar to these without the markings up in the great white north.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    That’s fantastic! This is a fish species that I have never heard of or seen here in my home state or in my travels. Really interesting. It looks like a cross between a tropical bass, carp, and a cod. I have seen whitefish similar to these without the markings up in the great white north.

Redfish (Red Drum) fight hard, in the 1 to 6 lb slot, harder pound for pound than any other salt or fresh water fish I have ever caught. They are fun! Specks and bass eat better imo. Thick Redfish filets are made for the charcoal grill imo. Blackened Redfish is wonderful too, a Louisiana original.

Many years ago in the Bonne Carre Spillway I caught largemouth bass, smaller specks, and a redfish all in the same trip, hitting a crankbait. West suction canal, it was a really good day on the water. The east and west main canals can reach a depth of 40 feet. Excavated for building the spillway levees long ago. Main canals are linked to Lake Ponchartrain via a crosscut canal. Ponchartrain linked to Gulf of Mexico.

wiki red drum details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_drum

Last edited:
    Top Bottom