Remington New Model Army

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    While I like pretty much all styles of guns the cowboy guns are what I like most. Revolvers, Lever Actions, Black Powder etc.

I have lots of Colt style revolvers but for one reason or another I never picked up a Remington. I seen this pair for sale at a super good deal so I jumped on them. They are copies of Remington New Model Army revolvers. Some people call these the 1858's although that is technically wrong.

The previous owner bought these and had them tuned with new springs and such but never fired a shot through them. I plan to change that this weekend.

Attachments

• 1E0D643E-4531-41AF-858C-E06759D9D586_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      1E0D643E-4531-41AF-858C-E06759D9D586_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      237.5 KB · Views: 64
    • BB61170B-7481-4B8C-B2EF-64EC31FFE383_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      BB61170B-7481-4B8C-B2EF-64EC31FFE383_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      234.7 KB · Views: 57
    • 5220EBDF-0DCC-4E43-98F0-033111578D77_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      5220EBDF-0DCC-4E43-98F0-033111578D77_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      194.9 KB · Views: 60
    • C105821F-ED78-4D92-9282-7D58969C1B88_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      C105821F-ED78-4D92-9282-7D58969C1B88_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      239.9 KB · Views: 61
    • IMG_9486_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      IMG_9486_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      217.5 KB · Views: 61

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Nice and a ton of fun to shoot. I have a Navy that I have worked over a little bit and found that I had to chance the nipples to some better ones from Call of the Wolf. Once I started shooting it regularly I found that the originals were slightly out of spec or something because the loosened up and wouldn’t hold the primers well. Do you use a grease cookie and real black with yours? Fun learning how to handle these guns well.

Sounds a little silly to some but I really enjoy taking the pistol, flint lock, and little lead pot along when I go camping. Casting on a campfire in the evening and smelling black powder mixed with wood smoke and coffee mornings is a nice way to start the day and really sets your perspective no matter what you plan to do. Nostalgia for simpler times and forgotten skills maybe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Nice and a ton of fun to shoot. I have a Navy that I have worked over a little bit and found that I had to chance the nipples to some better ones from Call of the Wolf. Once I started shooting it regularly I found that the originals were slightly out of spec or something because the loosened up and wouldn’t hold the primers well. Do you use a grease cookie and real black with yours? Fun learning how to handle these guns well.

Sounds a little silly to some but I really enjoy taking the pistol, flint lock, and little lead pot along when I go camping. Casting on a campfire in the evening and smelling black powder mixed with wood smoke and coffee mornings is a nice way to start the day and really sets your perspective no matter what you plan to do. Nostalgia for simpler times and forgotten skills maybe.

I usually replace all the nipples on my black powder guns. Right now all I have is Pyrodex. I need to get some more black powder but I don't have any at the moment.

You are very correct about the camping and doing things like they done them back then. Really gives you a respect for the way things were and what they went through.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I meant “Track of the Wolf” for nipples and parts. I laid in a good supply of Goex from Graff and Sons a few years ago and really glad that I did. It has been getting expensive and hard to find. Like everything else I guess.

Hope you have a great time this weekend. Make sure that you don’t forget one of those great pocket watches to complete the experience too!

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I meant *Track of the Wolf* for nipples and parts. I laid in a good supply of Goex from Graff and Sons a few years ago and really glad that I did. It has been getting expensive and hard to find. Like everything else I guess.

Hope you have a great time this weekend. Make sure that you don’t forget one of those great pocket watches to complete the experience too!

These were a hoot to shoot. Actually better than my Colts. I was very pleased with the accuracy and overall feel of the guns. Excellent.

Midway has the fffg Goex for 18 dollars a pound but the shipping and hazmat fees brings it to over 40. I’m good for now.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Nothing quite like it right? My Colt Navy is really picky but once you get used to what it wants it is surprisingly accurate and lighter to carry. Smaller ball is good for bunnies too.

Yah, the hazmat is what kills you. I made a largish order for other reloading components I needed and plenty smokeless and black powder to hold me for a while. Prices were low at the time and it made good sense. Not really worth it for a few lbs you are right.

Glad you had some fun and made a little noise and smoke! Good day for it.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Nothing quite like it right? My Colt Navy is really picky but once you get used to what it wants it is surprisingly accurate and lighter to carry. Smaller ball is good for bunnies too.

Yah, the hazmat is what kills you. I made a largish order for other reloading components I needed and plenty smokeless and black powder to hold me for a while. Prices were low at the time and it made good sense. Not really worth it for a few lbs you are right.

Glad you had some fun and made a little noise and smoke! Good day for it.

Don't get me wrong I still love my Colts. The 1851 is one of my all time favorite guns and the most natural pointer I have had.
    These Sheriff Model with the shorter barrels are quite handy though.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rynola
    Top Bottom