40 cal Zombie Buster Specials!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    New edition to the Zombie Buster club! Dropped from a Lee 90433, a 175g Semi Wad Cutter lubed with "Powder Coat Store" Neon Green. Pictures dont do the color justice. They scream Zombie Buster! Cast, Coated and sized, charged up with 3.6g Benchmark Competition. Using some once fired brass from Elite Reloading, their stuff come polished already, i just deprime, swage and wet tumble them. $20 bucks for 500 seemed pretty decent. It runs in my Glock 23 flawlessly. In fact my wife would rather shoot these than factory ammo, shes shoots a lazer beam with them at 25 yrds.
    Just wondering whats your favorite round to make a crap ton of for "SHTF" senarios? Have a great one!
    20201024_173951.jpg20201024_224714.jpg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I can’t speak for the other loaders here, but I’m crazy jealous. Like Tonya Harding jealous. Maybe one day I’ll be making my own pills. I just unpacked 5k .355 FMJ bullets to start cranking out some 9mm loads for the first time in nearly 4 decades of loading ammunition.
    Well done to you sir.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Thanks! I load a good many Berrys's Bullets also. I just feel a little less guilty going ham with cast bullets :) I have loaded a good many Bayou Bullets also, they do a really good job powder coating them. I would really like to get my hands on some of the powder they use. I got lucky and met a nice gentleman on here, Mr. Hebert, when I got into metallic reloading a few months back. He let me buy his copious reloading gear collection and has been a wealth of knowledge. Only problem is I got about a dozen different die sets, brass, molds and bullets for various calibers. Alot of which I dont own guns that shoot. So I have been buying way to many guns to accommodate that. Hate to see gear go to waste! LOL! But seriously, im running a single stage pacific press for my depriming, swaging and priming and a Lee Classic turret press to size, charge, seat and crimp. Next on the agenda is upgrading to a progressive press, which im still on the fence about. Id love to have a Dillon, but will have to wait on the right deal to get in one of those.

In order, 45 acp, 223 and 9mm. All cast with lee molds and coated with Powder Coat store Neon Green. The Zombie Buster Family!

20201008_211723.jpg20200830_134038.jpg20200927_183131.jpg

I find that the 45 acp is the most difficult to get pristine castings, I guess because the volume of lead is so great. Im sure it they will get better when I get my mold broken in.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Thanks! I load a good many Berrys's Bullets also. I just feel a little less guilty going ham with cast bullets :) I have loaded a good many Bayou Bullets also, they do a really good job powder coating them. I would really like to get my hands on some of the powder they use. I got lucky and met a nice gentleman on here, Mr. Hebert, when I got into metallic reloading a few months back. He let me buy his copious reloading gear collection and has been a wealth of knowledge. Only problem is I got about a dozen different die sets, brass, molds and bullets for various calibers. Alot of which I dont own guns that shoot. So I have been buying way to many guns to accommodate that. Hate to see gear go to waste! LOL! But seriously, im running a single stage pacific press for my depriming, swaging and priming and a Lee Classic turret press to size, charge, seat and crimp. Next on the agenda is upgrading to a progressive press, which im still on the fence about. Id love to have a Dillon, but will have to wait on the right deal to get in one of those.

In order, 45 acp, 223 and 9mm. All cast with lee molds and coated with Powder Coat store Neon Green. The Zombie Buster Family!

View attachment 99836View attachment 99837View attachment 99838

I find that the 45 acp is the most difficult to get pristine castings, I guess because the volume of lead is so great. Im sure it they will get better when I get my mold broken in.

I'm wondering how the 223 perform? Perhaps you could follow up with a range report?

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    I'm wondering how the 223 perform? Perhaps you could follow up with a range report?

I have ran quite a few of them at this point. Probably a couple hundred, through my 10.5 ar pistol. I did not have to adjust the eotech at all. At the distances I was shooting up about 50 yards I was still dead on a 5" ar500 gong. Shooting off hand. I will get some specific grouping data for you from my 16" carbine and resting if you would like. But for what I am using it for its plenty accurate. Using 23g of cfe223. The bullet itself is 55g. After aprox 200 rounds down the pipe, no noticable leading or anything out of the ordinary. I also gas check them, forgot that part.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I still have a bunch of black powder coat in a jug from doing motorbike parts a couple years back. I’m wondering how the process works for doing bullets. Static charge and oven cooking? How y’all coating those things?

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    I still have a bunch of black powder coat in a jug from doing motorbike parts a couple years back. I’m wondering how the process works for doing bullets. Static charge and oven cooking? How y’all coating those things?

I dont think its suggested using black powder coat. I had picked up a jug of their white and black. even coated a batch in each color. Then I ran across something about black being a no no. I will have to look for it again. I ended up just remelting the black ones. I am using powder from (The Powder Coat Store) presently. I havent done anything with the white ones yet.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I dont think its suggested using black powder coat. I had picked up a jug of their white and black. even coated a batch in each color. Then I ran across something about black being a no no. I will have to look for it again. I ended up just remelting the black ones. I am using powder from (The Powder Coat Store) presently. I havent done anything with the white ones yet.
    Ok, no black on bullets. I won’t even ask why. So, how do you guys actually get the finish on the bullets? I’m asking if the process is the same as the one I’ve used to coat rear sets and pegs and such. As tedious as it is to powder and cook those small parts I can’t imagine how one does bullets. Ya can’t hang bullets with a piece of wire...

Last edited:

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Ok, no black on bullets. I won’t even ask why. So, how do you guys actually get the finish on the bullets? I’m asking if the process is the same as the one I’ve used to coat rear sets and pegs and such. As tedious as it is to powder and cook those small parts I can’t imagine how one does bullets. Ya can’t hang bullets with a piece of wire...

I use the dry shake n bake method, ive tried wet shanke in bake but didnt like the finished product. The dry method is pretty simple, get some 400f powder coat, cast your bullets, i like to bathe them in acetone and let dry before i coat,seems to help with coverage. Put bullets and powder into a plastic bowl and shake a minute or so untill the shaking builds up enought static electricity to make the powder stick. Some people say a #2 bowl works best, check the recycle stamp for number. I dump them into a small basket and sift the excess off and then into the oven at 400f for 15 minutes. I go from the oven into a bucket of water. Size, load, shoot. They say to let the bullets cure for a week. But ive shot them straight out of the sizer.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom