Burying You're Own?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    We did the same with our mother in 1995, at her request. She was a Navy vet and catholic so we rented a casket to hold her ashes/urn for a brief catholic service. Her ashes are kept in a mausoleum in New Orleans right beside I-10 and the railroad underpass which floods during hurricanes. I went check on her ashes after Katrina but her tiny vault was high enough as not to flood. The building did flood 2 or 3 feet. Gator posting this about his mother has made me think about going visit there to check. My father is buried in the ground right off Canal Blvd and City Park Ave, since Nov 1963. He was a Captain in the US Navy @ time of death.

I need to do a will soon and will opt for cremation too. Less fuss and expense.

After getting a Notary stamp on them I gave a copy of the wills for my wife and myself to my primary care Doctor, Attorney and the person responsible for taking care of our business.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    First, condolences on your loss. Most funerals are handled like a sterile business transaction these days, and I think your family's involvement at such a level speaks volumes to character.

On the subject of burials, I read an article earlier this year about people opening facilities for natural burials, no coffins involved, and it can be a do it yourself kind of thing or for a small fee, they will handle the digging and filling. For most it's a financial choice because of how expensive the services of most funeral homes are.

As for family plots, an aunt and uncle lived in Rhode Island for several years, and while driving around there, you can often see fenced and signed plots smack in the middle of some of the residential yards along the highway. When clearing land, if you come across an overgrown cemetery, by law, you're supposed to report it and the state then comes out and surveys it, puts up a fence and a sign, instant state historical site. Old, small family plots are all over up there in New England. Hence, there are numerous homes with back door steps made from old headstones because people would just kick them down and keep on clearing and building. REALLY BAD JU-JU, if you ask me, but some people got no conscience, I guess.

My father in law, when he was still living, had a running, low-intensity battle with the cemetery maintenance personnel where his son was buried. They couldn't afford the extra cost of a bronze flower vase mounted on top of the marker, so he would just cut small lengths of PVC pipe and poke a hole in the ground right next to the marker, push in the PVC down to ground level, and stick flowers, real or fake, into the improvised holder. Nothing to stick up and obstruct anything, trip anyone, just to hold flowers upright. Cemeteries routinely remove dead flowers and faded fakes, but they would also always pull up the small PVC piece as well, almost like it was to be spiteful. He had a box of ready made replacements, and just took one along for every visit.

For my father, my step-mother opted for a scattering in a beautiful setting in what may or may not have been a not to be named here National Park (just in case). Does a pile of organic dust require a permit? We didn't ask. My sister and I took the trip with her, met one of his brothers that lives nearby, and since he and his brothers were all Boy/Eagle Scouts, poured the ashes out in a circle, trail sign representing the message "Gone Home," and placed a circle of stones upon that circle to remain there. All of his other siblings have made the trip at some point to visit that spot, and I'm planning a return to that area in the next couple years. When Trump wins again, my hippie uncle will have to have some time to cool off before I can safely visit.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    My condolences to you and yours. You did an excellent job and she would certainly be very honored by it. I see no problem doing it yourself.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom