Burying You're Own?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I guess everyone here has had to bury a loved one,It's never easy.

So I buried my mom this weekend ( Thanks for the condolences )

The only difference is one of my cousins and I did everything associated with burying her ashes.

We set the head stone in place,Glued the top to the bottom foundation of rose granite

Dug the hole and held a memorial service,

We did hire a preacher to say a few words.

Sealed her up in a PVC plastic tube so that everything would stay dry,Letters,Pictures,things like that.

Now I'm getting a little flack from some because we did the digging in a graveyard ourselves?

In hindsight,The hole wasn't quite deep enough so we dug out a couple of more inches of dirt...But

I'm probably going to Hell for this

While I was scooping out dirt by hand I yelled out, I see Bones,It looks like a hand !!!

My cousins wife almost fainted...lol I had to assure her that I was only kidding !!!

At any rate,I'm a do it yourself-er.

Who else would do or better yet has done something like this?

Will post a picture later....

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    I have dug two graves in my lifetime and I am young. One for my Grandmother and the other for my Grandfather. He also helped to dig my Grandmother's grave. He made all of us swear that we would dig his grave when the time came. Both times was done by hand with shovels and picks. All the men and boys in the family took turns digging. It was a time to reflect and remember the deceased. It is just like the tradition of sitting with the dead. There was always someone in the family that would stay with the casket all night until the deceased was placed in the ground.

I think most cemeteries make you pay to open and close a grave now. Just a way to make money.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Here's a picture, I think it turned out rather nice.
    Buried her next to her father and Uncle Fred

Attachments

• 20201025_153002.jpg
      20201025_153002.jpg
      247.1 KB · Views: 126

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I have dug two graves in my lifetime and I am young. One for my Grandmother and the other for my Grandfather. He also helped to dig my Grandmother's grave. He made all of us swear that we would dig his grave when the time came. Both times was done by hand with shovels and picks. All the men and boys in the family took turns digging. It was a time to reflect and remember the deceased. It is just like the tradition of sitting with the dead. There was always someone in the family that would stay with the casket all night until the deceased was placed in the ground.

I think most cemeteries make you pay to open and close a grave now. Just a way to make money.

That's the way it should be done if possible.

We don't pay here in this graveyard,Great grandpa' donated the land with one stipulation...Family does not pay.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I helped to dig a grave for an infant one time . Small church cemetery . We hit an old unmarked grave . The Preacher said to just move over a little bit .

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    1. Sorry for your loss.
    2. Hats off to you and your family for stepping up and going hands on.
    3. At first I didn’t know how to take your post. I actually wasn’t sure you were being serious.
    4. Now I think I’d like to party with you and your family.
    5. The grave site looks great. Y’all should be proud.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Me and my father dug my grandmothers. I don’t see a problem with it at all. Prayers for you and your family sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I guess everyone here has had to bury a loved one,It's never easy.

So I buried my mom this weekend ( Thanks for the condolences )

The only difference is one of my cousins and I did everything associated with burying her ashes.

We set the head stone in place,Glued the top to the bottom foundation of rose granite

Dug the hole and held a memorial service,

We did hire a preacher to say a few words.

Sealed her up in a PVC plastic tube so that everything would stay dry,Letters,Pictures,things like that.

Now I'm getting a little flack from some because we did the digging in a graveyard ourselves?

In hindsight,The hole wasn't quite deep enough so we dug out a couple of more inches of dirt...But

I'm probably going to Hell for this

While I was scooping out dirt by hand I yelled out, I see Bones,It looks like a hand !!!

My cousins wife almost fainted...lol I had to assure her that I was only kidding !!!

At any rate,I'm a do it yourself-er.

Who else would do or better yet has done something like this?

Will post a picture later....

Sorry to hear about your mom.

We have a family cemetery so we dig the graves our selves and get everything ready. Depending on the type of service (some members use the funeral home and others don't) we set up the tent green grass like bottom, etc. We have also placed stones when time.

On a side note my father in law is also the local horse burier. We have buried hundreds of horses over the years.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    1. Sorry for your loss.
    2. Hats off to you and your family for stepping up and going hands on.
    3. At first I didn’t know how to take your post. I actually wasn’t sure you were being serious.
    4. Now I think I’d like to party with you and your family.
    5. The grave site looks great. Y’all should be proud.

Thanks....Now I don't know if you can see it in the picture But,

Uncle Fred as he was called is on the right,Uncle Fred is from Norway.

Uncle Fred jumped ship in Port Arthur Tx

Grandma' snuck him into La. and let him stay in the camp as a caretaker and handy-man and he stayed in the woods for the most part hiding out.

One day in 1941 they were going to Deridder and Uncle Fred was riding in the back of the truck.

Truck hits a pothole and out fly's Uncle Fred,Lands on his head and it kills him,Never knew the reason he was hiding out?

Perhaps he's a wanted man in Norway?

Now Grandpa' was a navigator on an ocean going ship and just so happened the ship was in Pearl Harbor the day it was bombed.

They launched their boats and started rescuing the young sailors in the water....Never knew either one,I'm sure they had plenty of stories to tell.

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts !!!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Well done Gator. My deepest condolences on the loss of your mother.
    There are 11 of my family buried on the family land. I’ve taken part since I was a boy.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Thanks....Now I don't know if you can see it in the picture But,

Uncle Fred as he was called is on the right,Uncle Fred is from Norway.

Uncle Fred jumped ship in Port Arthur Tx

Grandma' snuck him into La. and let him stay in the camp as a caretaker and handy-man and he stayed in the woods for the most part hiding out.

One day in 1941 they were going to Deridder and Uncle Fred was riding in the back of the truck.

Truck hits a pothole and out fly's Uncle Fred,Lands on his head and it kills him,Never knew the reason he was hiding out?

Perhaps he's a wanted man in Norway?

Now Grandpa' was a navigator on an ocean going ship and just so happened the ship was in Pearl Harbor the day it was bombed.

They launched their boats and started rescuing the young sailors in the water....Never knew either one,I'm sure they had plenty of stories to tell.

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts !!!

Wow what a history! My wife is doing genealogy now on our family’s. Y’all did good!

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    As I opened this post I was watching Dave and Vincent on circle tv performing "The circle will be unbroken " and thinking of my mom's funeral . Sorry for your loss and hope you find comfort in knowing she is in a better place and that the circle will be unbroken one day.
    I was a pallbearer at my grandfather's funeral and both my parents and if any of my siblings go before me I intend to be there as a pallbearer also .
    Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    My wife and I are selling our Cemetery Plots and going for Cremation without any services.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    My wife and I are selling our Cemetery Plots and going for Cremation without any services.

We did the same with our mother in 1995, at her request. She was a Navy vet and catholic so we rented a casket to hold her ashes/urn for a brief catholic service. Her ashes are kept in a mausoleum in New Orleans right beside I-10 and the railroad underpass which floods during hurricanes. I went check on her ashes after Katrina but her tiny vault was high enough as not to flood. The building did flood 2 or 3 feet. Gator posting this about his mother has made me think about going visit there to check. My father is buried in the ground right off Canal Blvd and City Park Ave, since Nov 1963. He was a Captain in the US Navy @ time of death.

I need to do a will soon and will opt for cremation too. Less fuss and expense.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom