Ammunition availability and production

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So with the current ammunition shortage due to increased demand and limited supply, which has caused some ammunition types to be unicorn blood, is there anything you have had extreme difficulty finding? I'm not talking about 9mm FMJ, XM193, M855, or other common calibers.

For myself, I've had difficulty finding defensive buckshot and match rifle loads.

I was able to find some Federal Gold Medal Match 69gr new stock, but 77gr has been non-existent.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I hate to admit it but yes...

My beloved 30-06 can typically be found on 6 continents in almost any store but apparently not right now. Completely burst a long standing theory of it not being a ‘cool guy’ round so I should have no problem finding it when needed.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I hate to admit it but yes...

My beloved 30-06 can typically be found on 6 continents in almost any store but apparently not right now. Completely burst a long standing theory of it not being a ‘cool guy’ round so I should have no problem finding it when needed.

Apparently .300 BLK has been difficult to find. The few times I've gone into stores that carry more generic stuff, I have only seen things like 22-250 on the shelves.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Apparently .300 BLK has been difficult to find. The few times I've gone into stores that carry more generic stuff, I have only seen things like 22-250 on the shelves.

The stuff I’m finding is 2.50 a round or for a m1 and nearly that price. I prefer 165-180 bonded bullets 1.25-1.50 normally gets you a variety of federal options but not this year.

The blk will die on the vine because of bullet options.

Last edited:

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I found out that I was down to only 10 cartridges for hunting this year. Now I usually only shoot one in Virginia and maybe two in Louisiana. So I found out that the particular cartridge I started using a few years ago was "out of stock" everywhere. I finally found a box of Hornady Custom .308 150 gr. SST at Brownells and it was semi-expensive. The Hornady Superformance .308 SST was not available anywhere.
    I had no idea when I started the search that ammunition was going to be that hard to find.
    So much for the old adage to buy a rifle in a common caliber, .308, 30-06, .270, .243, etc., because ammunition will always be available. The only ammunition that seemed to be available were the uncommon calibers that I have never considered buying.
    I guess I will have to consider trading for a rifle chambered for a .321 Harmon-Kardon Unobtainium Wildcat straight wall boxer primed caliber. I saw plenty of ammo for rifles chambered for calibers like that.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I'm glad I stayed stocked up on the ones I shoot, I found ammo but from.60 a round to 1.35 a round. I bought mine a couple of years ago for .30 .34 around. 7.62x39, 5.56, .223, 9mm and 300 BO.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I thought the theory was, buy something obscure because few will want it. If you look at Academy they have little of anything. And I find Grendel brass is much more difficult to find than usual and commands a premium when it does show up. I’m going to make some from 762x39 just for the experience of fire forming.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I've been looking into buying a bolt action rifle... So for about a year to 15 months now I've been checking weekly on ammo availability and prices. I look at 6.5 grendel, .243, .260, 7mm-08, and 6.5 creedmoor.
    For months the 6.5 creedmoor was "winning" both availability and price. On my last check a couple days ago it seemed the 260 Remington was best.
    This was internet retailers only, like midway, target sports, lucky gunner etc.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I've been looking into buying a bolt action rifle... So for about a year to 15 months now I've been checking weekly on ammo availability and prices. I look at 6.5 grendel, .243, .260, 7mm-08, and 6.5 creedmoor.
    For months the 6.5 creedmoor was "winning" both availability and price. On my last check a couple days ago it seemed the 260 Remington was best.
    This was internet retailers only, like midway, target sports, lucky gunner etc.
    And the only ammo I’ve seen consistently on the shelves is 6.5 creedmore. I had just bought a Bad Rock in .308 when the creedmore started heating up so I weren’t about to spend a bunch more money on another bolt gun. Or do I thought. So I went all out on a couple of AR’s in that flavor and then I caught a deal on a Ruger precision that I couldn’t pass up.
    So, no Christmas at my house this year! Haha!

Last edited:

hkennc

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Gonzales
    Decided to spend $10 and go check out the Gonzales Gun Show at Lamar-Dixon. Some 9mm to be had but it ain't cheap. I can't remember all the prices but the one that stuck in my head, and the photo on my phone, was a box of Federal 124gr HSTs for $95.00. There was also some Winchester 'White Box' .40 S&W FMJs, 100 rounds for $70.
    I think the average (American Eagle, PMC, etc.) 55gr .223/5.56 was $20 for 20 rounds.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Shortage? Where abouts is this shortage yall speak of?

Attachments

• 20201030_135837.jpg
      20201030_135837.jpg
      260.4 KB · Views: 154

Jadams74

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2019
    Ponchatoula, Louisiana
    300 build on hold for now due to ammo shortage

The stuff I’m finding is 2.50 a round or for a m1 and nearly that price. I prefer 165-180 bonded bullets 1.25-1.50 normally gets you a variety of federal options but not this year.

The blk will die on the vine because of bullet options.

I was gathering the components to build a 300 with a suppressor, but I held off after I finished the lower because I can't find ammo for it anywhere, much less subsonic ammo. I'm well stocked on the ammo that I use, but I have used half of my supply and don't want to go below that, so no shooting for me right now and I used to shoot at least twice a week. I thought about getting into reloading, but supplies are low on that end too. I just hope that this shortage ends soon! For all of our sakes. I already know that when ammo supplies return though that people will start hoarding it.

Jughead

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Shortage? Where abouts is this shortage yall speak of?

Shortage is with primers for me. Everyone is sold out. I did notice that in Canada primers are readily available and very reasonably priced. No ship to USA!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom