New quilt...... give down a try???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marinetaco01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Madsionville, LA
    Looking to add a quilt to my sleep system arsenal. Currently i've got one of the mil surplus 3 piece systems but it's really too heavy/big for what I'm wanting. It's also pretty old and I feel like its losing some insulating properties.

Settled on a UGQ bandit quilt but still undecided on synthetic vs down.

I'm not really worried about the quilt getting wet so much as I'm worried about humidity. In my googling I come accross plenty of guys out of washington, florida, and other rainy climates using down with success. Any of you baws out this way using down in their sleep system?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Not exactly what you’re looking for but I think my dad has slept with a poncho liner every night since Vietnam lol. He has went through a ton of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I camp out quite a bit and feel like I’m always looking for something better. Depending on the season or situation I’ve employed hammock under big fly at times and smaller pack tents on other excursions. Sounds like you’re talking about cold weather outings.
    My favorite cold weather bag is a little $80 down bag by Ozark (cheapie Walmart offering) that I line a big poly filled bag with. I use that set up when it’s cold for down here, like 30’s. The older I get the more the cold can ruin my sleep so I try to keep toasty. For some reason the mini down bag inside the big poly filled bag has been the magic combo for me. I throw a couple of pocket hand warmers in my bag about an hour before I hit the sack. When I get in I make sure to push one down to the foot.
    I don’t think you’d go wrong with down. Especially if it’s something like a quilt that you can integrate into your setup.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Try outside in the open/ winter time/ Alaska. U S ARMY exercises. 1974 thru 1977.Made a bed of spruce boughs for mattress. Army poncho layed on top and placed U S Army Mountain Bag(down filled) inside of the U S Army Arctic Bag (down filled) . Both of these placed in side of the cotton/canvas sock. When sleep time came had to take all clothes off (placing them in bag) down to underwear. climb in / Close bag and flip remaining poncho back over top to make a cocoon. Was able to comfortably sleep in temps down as low as -40*F(below zero) or greater on numerous nights . In the next morning touching the outside of the sleeping bag it was as cold as touching the body panels of a truck. Must remove clothes to keep from sweating. Down insulation looses it worth if wet or damp. About 1 yr ago saw some of these bags for sale at Army Surplus Store in Gonzales. La. In 1977 while being discharged from active duty the supply sgt refused to take a extra bag that I had acquired because it would throw off his inventory count so i kept it. ..................................................... drill sgt.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Try outside in the open/ winter time/ Alaska. U S ARMY exercises. 1974 thru 1977.Made a bed of spruce boughs for mattress. Army poncho layed on top and placed U S Army Mountain Bag(down filled) inside of the U S Army Arctic Bag (down filled) . Both of these placed in side of the cotton/canvas sock. When sleep time came had to take all clothes off (placing them in bag) down to underwear. climb in / Close bag and flip remaining poncho back over top to make a cocoon. Was able to comfortably sleep in temps down as low as -40*F(below zero) or greater on numerous nights . In the next morning touching the outside of the sleeping bag it was as cold as touching the body panels of a truck. Must remove clothes to keep from sweating. Down insulation looses it worth if wet or damp. About 1 yr ago saw some of these bags for sale at Army Surplus Store in Gonzales. La. In 1977 while being discharged from active duty the supply sgt refused to take a extra bag that I had acquired because it would throw off his inventory count so i kept it. ..................................................... drill sgt.

You da man, drill sgt. Getting out to leave a **** naked in -30F could be rough tho. Might just cause a FTF.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    You da man, drill sgt. Getting out to leave a **** naked in -30F could be rough tho. Might just cause a FTF.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Trust me when I say that at those temperatures when you do let it go it does not slash and freezes instantlly. Tossing a 2qt pot of boiling water up into the air at around -50*F (below zero) less than a tea spoon of water will fall back to the ground because it changes it to instant steam with such speed that it actually make a "woush" sound. ............. The coldest temps that i was outside in was -82*F (pure) with a chill factor of -127*F (below zero). As measured on a calibrated thermometer + or - 1/2 degree during testing a new generation of night vision. ................ drill sgt.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom