do you EDC with a hand held light or a rail mounted light?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I mean, you PID anything you specifically shine a light at if you want to see what it is. PID is just a lot easier to type than "I use my light to illuminate things I want to see and be positive of what they are."

As far as positive identification goes, the Merritt Landry case comes to mind.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I mean, you PID anything you specifically shine a light at if you want to see what it is. PID is just a lot easier to type than "I use my light to illuminate things I want to see and be positive of what they are."

Not arguing with you at all, nor do I need examples of cases. I truly do not need a brighter flashlight than my cellphone 99.999% of the time. I’ve used my cell phone light to finish searching a house before out of necessity, I can manage just fine with it. If I know I will be out looking for something outside or out walking around at night I will bring a flashlight with me. I just don’t EDC it. Not sure why that’s so hard to accept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Just clarifying for other people reading. I've met a lot of people that don't know what PID means.

People can do and use whatever they want. The most handy light I keep in my car has been a 400 lumen headlamp I've used at night to change tires and check things out.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Being very familiar with the Merritt Landry case, I don't believe it's a good example of a PID issue. But I understand why it might seem like it is.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Being very familiar with the Merritt Landry case, I don't believe it's a good example of a PID issue. But I understand why it might seem like it is.

I vaguely remember talking to you about it a while back. There is also the case that happened in the Denham Springs area with the foreign exchange student that gets brought up when discussing Louisiana law.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm just saying that there are a ton of benefits to having an actual light that's not attached to my $1100 phone.

The pros outweigh the cons. That's why I carry a light.

I just used it 5 minutes ago to find an owl which was nifty. And 10 minutes before that to light up a large garage of a house that's under construction.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    realistically neither, I keep a handheld in the car though. If I were to carry one every day It would probably be a handheld. You really can't use a weapon light for anything except gunfighting in the dark, which is most likely not what you're going to need a light for from day to day. Weapon mounted light good for home defense though!

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    Not arguing with you at all, nor do I need examples of cases. I truly do not need a brighter flashlight than my cellphone 99.999% of the time. I’ve used my cell phone light to finish searching a house before out of necessity, I can manage just fine with it. If I know I will be out looking for something outside or out walking around at night I will bring a flashlight with me. I just don’t EDC it. Not sure why that’s so hard to accept.

Yeah I'm with you. My phone light is free since it comes with the phone and works for 99.999% of things I need a light for. If I need more I got a handheld in the car I can bust out. But also I'm not out in public after dark either... BUT thinking about when I go camping I'm pretty much covered in freaking lights lol

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yeah I'm with you. My phone light is free since it comes with the phone and works for 99.999% of things I need a light for. If I need more I got a handheld in the car I can bust out. But also I'm not out in public after dark either... BUT thinking about when I go camping I'm pretty much covered in freaking lights lol

I hear that, but phone lights suck compared to dedicated lights. It's one of those things where once you get used to always having a certain tool with you, you find that you use it a lot more than you would without it.

Phone lights are all spill and no spot. That X's out a lot of uses of a light. I also don't like the idea of using my $1200 phone for a lot of lighting uses..due to concerns over dropping it, breaking it, and etc.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I hear that, but phone lights suck compared to dedicated lights. It's one of those things where once you get used to always having a certain tool with you, you find that you use it a lot more than you would without it.

Phone lights are all spill and no spot. That X's out a lot of uses of a light. I also don't like the idea of using my $1200 phone for a lot of lighting uses..due to concerns over dropping it, breaking it, and etc.

True, I haven’t carried a light a lot at work everyday for 22yrs(isn’t that about as long as you’ve been alive lol)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    True, I haven’t carried a light a lot at work everyday for 22yrs(isn’t that about as long as you’ve been alive lol)

Congratulations? Not sure how applicable that is, though, but I'm glad you've gotten to carry a light at work for 22 years.

I typically have a notepad and a fancy pen at work, as well as a lot of cool statistical analysis stuff, but that doesn't really affect the rest of my life.

Not talking about cop stuff. I'm simply advocating that an average Joe can have a lot of benefits from a light with them daily, just like they can have a lot of benefits from a knife or even a tube of chapstick.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I carried a light before I got into gun stuff. Headlamps and flashlights are really handy to see in the dark. I never wanted to drop my phone when I was in the boat at night either, so a handheld and flashlight on a lanyard were helpful.

Whether you choose to carry one or not, no one argues that lights don’t provide light in darkness.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Congratulations? Not sure how applicable that is, though, but I'm glad you've gotten to carry a light at work for 22 years.

I typically have a notepad and a fancy pen at work, as well as a lot of cool statistical analysis stuff, but that doesn't really affect the rest of my life.

Not talking about cop stuff. I'm simply advocating that an average Joe can have a lot of benefits from a light with them daily, just like they can have a lot of benefits from a knife or even a tube of chapstick.

I was just referring to once you start it’s not a big deal. I was giving my Personal opinion on the subject. The last thing I want to do is carry more crap than I need on a daily basis. Not knocking anyone that does, I say carry everything you feel comfortable carrying.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I carried a light before I got into gun stuff. Headlamps and flashlights are really handy to see in the dark. I never wanted to drop my phone when I was in the boat at night either, so a handheld and flashlight on a lanyard were helpful.

Whether you choose to carry one or not, no one argues that lights don’t provide light in darkness.

Oh yeah, when I had my boat I liked to fish at night. I brought Q beams, hand helds and cyalume sticks. I brought all of that because I used it all the time on the boat at night. I don’t carry a handheld light everyday now because I don’t use it all the time. Maybe I’m confusing what y’all are talking about. I get carrying equipment you need for a task you are about to do. I do not carry a handheld for “just in case” scenarios because in my experience the added light in my pocket is just taking up space. Once again, just my opinion based on my personal experience and needs.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I also don’t carry 4 extra mags, 2 tourniquets on my ankle, a lock picking set and a HAM radio when I go to the grocery store. I’ve survived with a gun and a cellphone so far, hopefully my luck continues but that’s out of my hands.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Oh yeah, when I had my boat I liked to fish at night. I brought Q beams, hand helds and cyalume sticks. I brought all of that because I used it all the time on the boat at night. I don’t carry a handheld light everyday now because I don’t use it all the time. Maybe I’m confusing what y’all are talking about. I get carrying equipment you need for a task you are about to do. I do not carry a handheld for *just in case* scenarios because in my experience the added light in my pocket is just taking up space. Once again, just my opinion based on my personal experience and needs.

That’s your preference and I have no issues with it.

I keep a light in my pocket, because it’s not a burden and nice to have if I need it. It’s not much different than carrying a folding knife. I also keep a headlamp, spare handheld lights, and spare batteries in my vehicle in the event I need them. I used them recently to change a tire in the dark where there were not enough lights for me to see.

I used to carry a single cell CR123 light in my pocket. It was no larger than my thumb. I used it everymorning before work when I would take my dog out. Prior to that I carried around a Streamlight penlight, because it was brighter than my phone, which at the time didn’t have a flashlight to use. I’ve used my handheld lights enough to justify carrying one, just like I have used a knife enough to justify carrying one.

That’s my opinion based on my personal experience and needs.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I also don’t carry 4 extra mags, 2 tourniquets on my ankle, a lock picking set and a HAM radio when I go to the grocery store. I’ve survived with a gun and a cellphone so far, hopefully my luck continues but that’s out of my hands.

I don't know of anyone that carries 4 spare magazines as a concealed carrier or off-duty LEO, nor do I know anyone that carries two tourniquets on their ankle, and I don't really know what good a lock picking set or HAM radio would do for a concealed carrier. I don't even know how to use a HAM radio. I do, however, sometimes carry 1 spare magazine and have a Ryker Nylon Gear AFAK that I sometimes carry on my ankle which only has 1 tourniquet.

I have no issues with anyone carrying as much stuff as they want to, and as you've stated previously, you don't either.

Top Bottom