do you EDC with a hand held light or a rail mounted light?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    Thoughts on this topic??? I'm on the fence again, with cooler weather approaching and I'm preparing for carrying a larger sidearm while holster shopping. I currently carry a torch in my pocket and currently don't have any lights on any rails that I carry... just wondering what most people are doing these days. I know this is likely an end user preference. Thanks!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Something to consider. If there's a situation where you need to use a flashlight but it's not time to draw a weapon, a weapon mounted light is the same as not carrying a light.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Weapon lights do not replace handheld lights. The handheld allows me to PID anything without waving a gun around.

I carry a Modlite PLHv2 handheld regardless of what pistol I have. If I’m carrying a pistol with a WML, I have a Surefire X300U-B equipped.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Handheld only for EDC... 99.999% of the time I need to light something up, I don't need to kill it.

As a civilian I figure the odds of me having the need, time, presence of mind, and free hand to go looking for a lightswitch should I need to draw in self-defense are close enough to zero for me that it's not worth putting a light on my carry gun. I do keep one on the bedside gun where it seems to make more practical sense.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Handheld only for EDC... 99.999% of the time I need to light something up, I don't need to kill it.

As a civilian I figure the odds of me having the need, time, presence of mind, and free hand to go looking for a lightswitch should I need to draw in self-defense are close enough to zero for me that it's not worth putting a light on my carry gun. I do keep one on the bedside gun where it seems to make more practical sense.
    This.

I carry a Modlight as well and it is so bright that it is absolutely a force multiplier. I can point it at someone's chest at night and will have their complete and total attention. If I put the spot on their face, it removes their ability to see anything. This is very useful. It will function similarly during the day as well.

Oh, and I can bring it to airports, stadiums, and almost anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    This.

I carry a Modlight as well and it is so bright that it is absolutely a force multiplier. I can point it at someone's chest at night and will have their complete and total attention. If I put the spot on their face, it removes their ability to see anything. This is very useful. It will function similarly during the day as well.

Oh, and I can bring it to airports, stadiums, and almost anywhere.

My current COVID EDC. Added a mask and gum...bc I don't like to smell anything but mint.
    55bb113d394de3aff1f6a0ee8c86e23c.jpg

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I can’t recall a time when not at work that I’ve needed to “PID” something. I can’t remember a time where the light on my phone wasn’t enough to get me by. I do keep a light on my handgun but other than that I don’t carry one. I might keep
    One in the car but that’s about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I can’t recall a time when not at work that I’ve needed to *PID* something. I can’t remember a time where the light on my phone wasn’t enough to get me by. I do keep a light on my handgun but other than that I don’t carry one. I might keep

I use my light every night I take my dog out. I also have no plans to shoot into the dark if I do ever need to use a firearm. My phone doesn't illuminate anything beyond a few feet. It definitely can't see my dog 25 yards out in the darkness. It's easy to carry and nice to have.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I can’t recall a time when not at work that I’ve needed to “PID” something. I can’t remember a time where the light on my phone wasn’t enough to get me by. I do keep a light on my handgun but other than that I don’t carry one. I might keep

Dog ran into woods recently and used light to find him. Lights are super useful.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I use my light every night I take my dog out. I also have no plans to shoot into the dark if I do ever need to use a firearm. My phone doesn't illuminate anything beyond a few feet. It definitely can't see my dog 25 yards out in the darkness. It's easy to carry and nice to have.

I thought we were talking about daily carry. Of course I use a flashlight for tasks. I do not carry one as an EDC because I have never needed one at random times and if I’ve need a light my cell phone worked fine. I have a little experience with pointing firearms at people in the dark but I appreciate your opinion. I did say I carry one on my firearm.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Dog ran into woods recently and used light to find him. Lights are super useful.

So are obedient dogs.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I thought we were talking about daily carry. Of course I use a flashlight for tasks. I do not carry one as an EDC because I have never needed one at random times and if I’ve need a light my cell phone worked fine. I have a little experience with pointing firearms at people in the dark but I appreciate your opinion. I did say I carry one on my firearm.

We are. I carry it with me everywhere. Is that not daily carry?

I'm not a cop, nor am I an expert in night shooting, so any time I would draw a firearm I better have a damn good reason for it. It would also be wise to identify what I'm about to point a gun at. That's not only my opinion, but also the opinion of the attorneys, LEO, and LE Firearms Instructors I've spoken and trained with.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    We are. I carry it with me everywhere. Is that not daily carry?

I'm not a cop, nor am I an expert in night shooting, so any time I would draw a firearm I better have a damn good reason for it. It would also be wise to identify what I'm about to point a gun at. That's not my only my opinion, but also the opinion of the attorneys, LEO, and LE Firearms Instructors I've spoken and trained with.

Yep.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So are obedient dogs.

Not my dog.

Cell phone lights suck. Being able to light up anything like daylight is useful. All for a few Oz weight in my pocket.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Not my dog.

Cell phone lights suck. Being able to light up anything like daylight is useful. All for a few Oz weight in my pocket.

There have been many advancements in cell phone lights in the past few years lol. My cell phone light is probably as bright as my first weaponlight many years ago . If I needed a light all the time I would justify carrying it, I just can’t see how I’d benefit from it as an EDC. Not knocking you guys who find yourselves needing to “PID” all the time. I’m just not in that category.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    To the OP, if you already carry a light in your pocket I wouldn’t change. Just practice shooting techniques with a handheld if you haven’t already. It’s not super complicated.

Top Bottom