Can’t decide on which Glock for conceal carry?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My EDC is a Glock 42.

I've owned a 43, 43X, 48, and I still own my 26. They're all good guns. But for concealed carry, the 42 is simply impossible to beat since it's so small. If I need more, then the 26 is the next best option IMHO.

And for all of the complaining about .380 round performance, I've yet to have someone volunteer to get shot by a .380 round to demonstrate how wimpy it is.

Mike

Mike

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    My EDC is a Glock 42.

I've owned a 43, 43X, 48, and I still own my 26. They're all good guns. But for concealed carry, the 42 is simply impossible to beat since it's so small. If I need more, then the 26 is the next best option IMHO.

And for all of the complaining about .380 round performance, I've yet to have someone volunteer to get shot by a .380 round to demonstrate how wimpy it is.

Mike

Mike

I doubt if you will find any Brain Dead People on BS asking to get shot.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My EDC is a Glock 42.

the 42 is simply impossible to beat since it's so small.

I own a G42. It's very possible to beat. See the issue isn't always gun size, it's people size. I'm a very large individual with very large hands. The Glock 42 has a niche role and it's not something I carry every day. Even when I do, it's AIWB as I always carry, but with a grip extension. Honestly, I wouldn't have even bought the pistol if the G43 was released prior. I wouldn't have even taken a look at the G42/43 if the G48 was released sooner. I carry a Glock 17 like most people carry a G26. It doesn't take much to conceal it, especially not in the colder months when wearing a button up shirt or light jacket is not out of the ordinary. Does that mean everyone should go out and get a G17? Not in the slightest, but it also doesn't mean everyone should own a G42 simply because it's small.

The right holster and firearm combination for one's specific body type will be much better than any pocket gun.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm a very large individual with very large hands. The Glock 42 has a niche role and it's not something I carry every day.

I have large hands as well. The funny thing is, I sometimes shoot the 42 better than I shoot the 26. I've done surgical work with the 42 at 25 yards ... surprises me too.

I train pretty regularly on all of my Glocks, but I spend a lot of time practicing my draw from concealment with my 42. It's the gun I've conditioned myself to carry with, partly because I can carry it all year long. Even in the dead of summer with a pair of shorts and a T-shirt on, I can conceal it with virtually no printing.

Of course, there's one one right answer here. It comes down to what is comfortable in hand, what conceals well, and what you train with. I was just speaking as someone that carries a 42 year-round.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I was just speaking as someone that carries a 42 year-round.

What's right for you, may not be right for others. I learned that when I realized not everyone is capable of carrying larger pistols as easily as I can. That's why my original post in this thread touched on the fact that we don't even know where the OP is carrying. The difference between a G26 and G42 in the pocket or on your ankle is a big jump. IWB, there isn't much reason to carry a G42 with all the other options out there.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    IWB, there isn't much reason to carry a G42 with all the other options out there.

I have IWB holsters for both my 42 and 26, and I find the 42 a lot easier to carry IWB, especially if it's in a pair of jeans (which I typically wear during the winter). The extra thickness of the 26 is just enough to be irritating to me. Ditto for carrying in a pancake holster ... the 42 prints much less on me than the 26 if I only have a light sweater or fleece on.

With my trench coat, I can carry my 17 in a full Safariland duty holster and not print.

Of course, everyone's body is different, so what works for me may not work for someone else.

And please don't think that I don't have a lot of respect for the 26. It's one of the most superb (sub)compact guns out there. For me, I just prefer the 42 for everyday wear.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have IWB holsters for both my 42 and 26, and I find the 42 a lot easier to carry IWB, especially if it's in a pair of jeans (which I typically wear during the winter). The extra thickness of the 26 is just enough to be irritating to me. Ditto for carrying in a pancake holster ... the 42 prints much less on me than the 26 if I only have a light sweater or fleece on.

With my trench coat, I can carry my 17 in a full Safariland duty holster and not print.

Of course, everyone's body is different, so what works for me may not work for someone else.

And please don't think that I don't have a lot of respect for the 26. It's one of the most superb (sub)compact guns out there. For me, I just prefer the 42 for everyday wear.

Mike

You don't need a trench coat to carry more than a G42 IWB, but the question still remains... how is the OP planning to carry?

49339448298_5eea1bc6dd_c.jpg

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Regardless of which one you choose and regardless of brand one thing to always consider is what carry ammo is ideal for that barrel size. Not all ammo is created equal and once you drop below a 4” barrel some of the “better ammo” is subpar at best. Speer LE gold dots come to mind. Great ammo with a 4” barrel or longer and not so much once you get into a 3.5” barrel or shorter. Their is plenty of data online with ballistic gel test as well as real world data on what rounds perform how. One of the few rounds that always performs well regardless of barrel length are Federal LE hst. The pickings are slim with a shorter barrel 9mm and even slimmer once you drop to 380. Here are a couple of websites to start looking at ballistics data.

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/pistol-ammo-9mm

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Gold Dot, HST, Critical Duty, PDX1, Golden Saber are all LEA proven rounds and all work as well as can be expected.
    See Dr. Roberts List for more details.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Regardless of which one you choose and regardless of brand one thing to always consider is what carry ammo is ideal for that barrel size. Not all ammo is created equal and once you drop below a 4” barrel some of the “better ammo” is subpar at best. Speer LE gold dots come to mind. Great ammo with a 4” barrel or longer and not so much once you get into a 3.5” barrel or shorter. Their is plenty of data online with ballistic gel test as well as real world data on what rounds perform how. One of the few rounds that always performs well regardless of barrel length are Federal LE hst. The pickings are slim with a shorter barrel 9mm and even slimmer once you drop to 380. Here are a couple of websites to start looking at ballistics data.

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/pistol-ammo-9mm

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

The gold dots perform ok, the gold dot G2s are not good performers in short barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The gold dots perform ok, the gold dot G2s are not good performers in short barrels.

I had some of the first G2 rounds available which were tested at the LSP Lab. and did not perform well in the water vat. They were later revised but I see no real advantage of the G2 over the standard Gold Dot rounds. The chart listed by Lucky Gunner is an okay guide but they do not use the proper calibrated gel. as used by LEA's.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I had some of the first G2 rounds available which were tested at the LSP Lab. and did not perform well in the water vat. They were later revised but I see no real advantage of the G2 over the standard Gold Dot rounds. The chart listed by Lucky Gunner is an okay guide but they do not use the proper calibrated gel. as used by LEA's.

I agree, we are issued the regular gold dots but I prefer HST. We are supposedly switching to Hornady duty rounds and I’ve heard lots of good things about them.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Lucky Gunner used clear gel, which isn’t correct per the FBI ballistics gel testing protocol (among other LEA’s), but they have a reason for it. They use clear so they can photograph the results. There is a big disclaimer about their tests and it’s only there for you to compare rounds that they have tested in the same clear gel.

Calibrated gel vs clear gel aside, there are still a ton of ignorant people out there that think X inches of penetration in gel equals the same penetration in humans.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I agree, we are issued the regular gold dots but I prefer HST. We are supposedly switching to Hornady duty rounds and I’ve heard lots of good things about them.

Possibly because Hornady is comparable to Gold Dot and more readily available than Gold Dot at this time.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Other than shooting pistol rounds into a ballistic vest and seeing how many layers each round penetrated I like it when they wrap a vest around a metal 55 gallon barrel and shoot it with a Sabot Slug.
    It creates a large indention in the barrel which would create heavy blunt force trauma.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Gold Dot, HST, Critical Duty, PDX1, Golden Saber are all LEA proven rounds and all work as well as can be expected.
    See Dr. Roberts List for more details.

your correct they are all LE proven in barrels that are 4*+. Not so much in barrels that are 3.5* or shorter. Theirs plenty of data to show this. I also prefer the critical defense most of the time over critical duty. The only difference I see is the critical duty penetration is greater and the critical defense expansion is slightly greater. Both pretty good rounds imo. Hornady American gunner is another pretty good round. I’m curious to see some data on the hornady black line.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I’m not saying gold dots are a bad choice because most of the time they are not but what I am saying in a shorter barrel federal hst outperforms them hands down. I believe it was the 115gr gold dot that out of a 3.1” barrel did not expand whatsoever.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I’m not saying gold dots are a bad choice because most of the time they are not but what I am saying in a shorter barrel federal hst outperforms them hands down. I believe it was the 115gr gold dot that out of a 3.1* barrel did not expand whatsoever.

I prefer HST in all barrel lengths. If I remember correctly the difference between a 4" barrel and a 3.5" barrel is only 20 FPS.

Top Bottom