Can’t decide on which Glock for conceal carry?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunshow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Westwego
    Looking to purchase a Glock conceal carry and can’t decide between the 26 or 42 . I like both ,I know both or different calibers what are your pros and cons?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    How are you wanting to carry and do you own other glocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Those are two vastly different Glocks, even though both are considered sub-compacts. The 42 is tiny. It's short and thin. The 26 is small, but chunky. It has the same width slide as the other 9mm double stacks.

Not knowing how you plan to carry them, I can't suggest which would be better suited for the job. For the little bit of extra width with the 26, you gain the ability to have the slide milled for an optic, use larger magazines, and it's chambered in 9mm rather than .380. With the right holster, it is easily concealed. However, if you plan to pocket carry, the 42 is a better option.

photo-5.jpg

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    I've got 4 or 5 G26, have carried them all. they do use all of your double stack mags should you need plenty of extra back up... typically carried the factory mag with +2, +1 in chamber = 13 rounds ready to rock.

I used to carry a G43 every day everywhere. It literally disappears in an (AIWB) appendix carry holster, but only held 6 rounds per mag from factory, 8 with a +2. +1 in the chamber = 11 rounds R2R.

I recently got the G43X. This is a game changer EDC firearm. Marginally bigger than the 43. Actually about the same size a 43 with a +2 installed. But it holds 10 rounds per mag and an aftermarket company makes a 15 round flush fit mag for it. +1 in chamber. = 16 rounds R2R.

I've also carried G19, more during colder months, but even still it's a 15 round sidearm. So why carry bulkier and heavier, when the G48 or G43x can do the same??

All of them have a purpose. Except that G42... unless you have midget hands and a mountain of .380 already stashed away... I wouldn't get it.

I currently have two G26 that I'm about to post for sale if you're interested in any, but I'd hunt down a G43x if I was you. Unless you have plenty of 19 mags for extras already.

Last edited:

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I'm really new to edc/cc, so take what I say with a grain of salt I suppose. I got a 43x, appendix carry holster from SCK and you can't even tell its there. I also wear thin material cargo type shorts with a cloth belt and his holster doesn't move at alI. It comes out and goes in very smooth. I also have on order the 15 round magazine from sheild arms.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you can, try holding and placing a 43 and 43x. I have the 43. I can use the +1 mag (7 rounds) for pocket carry, and the +2 mag for appendix. I prefer having the pocket option to having the 43x.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    As others have commented, the G42 might be an option if it has to be this small, or very recoil sensitive.

if you are looking to pocket carry maybe, but a better option if recoil is not a problem is opt for the 9mm. Cheaper and more available ammo, even now.

‘’Kahr CM9 is perfect for pocket carry, in 9mm, comes as a 6 +1.

the better options I think, looking at Glocks would be:
    G43 - similar in size to the G42, disappears easily on the waist, can pocket carry, doesn’t conceal as easily as the CM9.

G43X same size (almost) as the G43, but 3/4 to 1* longer grip than the G43. As stated can hold 10 +1, Ghost MED makes it 14 +1, Sheild mag, flush fit makes it 15 +1 many consider this the Goldilocks of Glocks for carry right now.

G26 same as the G43, but way fatter, also a *blocker* feel, due to the thickness mostly. Tried and true, can also use standard Glock magazines from larger pistols to increase capacity. Comes as a 10 rounder. The factory or Pearce extensions make it 12 +1, a length in the grip between the G43 (or flush 10 round G26) and the grip of the G43X.

I would pass on the G42, unless you just specifically want 380.

mt 2 cents, YMMV.

Enal

FIDO
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Forget the Glock and look at the Springfield Hellcat or SIG P365XL or P365SAS.

Excellent shooting right out of the box!

swampgeauxfur

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2020
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Forget the Glock and look at the Springfield Hellcat or SIG P365XL or P365SAS.

Excellent shooting right out of the box!

Honestly, I was carrying a G19 as my standard carry until I ran across an article online about the P365 that got me thinking. Turns out I have a buddy who carries one, and he let me shoot a few rounds during a range trip. Instantly, I fell in love. And went out and got me one. It's been my carry ever since. Been lookin at the SAS too... I'm a big fan of that anti snag smooth slide.

Enal

FIDO
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    The SAS was totally overlooked by me, but I’ve got one sitting in *The Cart* after looking at it again. I think the sights throw people off. That nice smooth top is very appealing for a CCW!

The Hellcat & P365 are almost identical in size, but I prefer the P365XL feel.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The SAS was totally overlooked by me, but I’ve got one sitting in *The Cart* after looking at it again. I think the sights throw people off. That nice smooth top is very appealing for a CCW!

The SAS is silly and was the solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I personally carry the P365XL, but the OP didn't ask about SIG.

@OP: Between the two options, I would recommend the G26. 9mm > .380. You also have more mag options, as others have mentioned. I would also urge you to look into appendix carry. See if you know someone who carries a G19 in appendix carry and ask if you can try their holster out and see how it works for you.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Of your two options, I would go g26 also, the mag options and available 9mm defensive rounds make the choice for me. I would also look into a g43x

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

The majority of quality holsters have a sight channel to prevent the sights from being exposed. The SAS is a gimmick.

LouisianaJoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Luling, Louisiana
    I am happy with my Kahr CM9. I can pocket carry or IWB Holster. I had a G26 but I like the slimmer Kahr.

rdass623

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    new orleans
    i carry a G-26, and a Kahr P9. both are great defensive pistols. i carry strong side hip IWB without a holster mostly. my day's carry decision will depend on the risk environment and my daily attire. generally speaking i find myself lately with the 26 more often. my suggestion to you would be to pick the 9mm over the .380. the single stack capacity on glocks seem to be lacking in my opinion. from a personal security standpoint, i would suggest you carry as much gun as possible.

Another Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2020
    Mandeville LA
    I have been carrying a G43 in a Dark Star Hitch Hiker holster and it works well for me.
    With a Taran +1 mag floorplate and 1 in the barrel I have 8 rounds.

I shoot it often in Glock GSSF matches and I am pretty good with it.
    I did shoot a G48 with an optic at the Glock Try-Out table at the Talladega match and that was more than just interesting.

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    I retired my PM40 and PM9 after picking up a P365.

Carried in the front pocket of my jeans, or dress pants every single day unless I'm going into a plant.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom