Renewal of CCW

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • datboyhieu01

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    May 23, 2015
    Metairie
    Curious can i do a renewal of the permit online or do i needa go do the class and shooting range again? How do i apply for a change of address?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Curious can i do a renewal of the permit online or do i needa go do the class and shooting range again? How do i apply for a change of address?

Everyone has to take a class every 5 years. Doesn't matter if you have a lifetime or 5 year CHP. Got to do the class.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    And thanks to recent rule changes, you have to repeat the entire 8 hour classroom session and shoot the qualification, regardless if you are new application or renewal.

datboyhieu01

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    May 23, 2015
    Metairie
    And thanks to recent rule changes, you have to repeat the entire 8 hour classroom session and shoot the qualification, regardless if you are new application or renewal.

Awww danngggggg :( sooooo anyone know of anyone doing classes on a Sunday I run a business 6 days 10-8 everyday and Sunday my only off day :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nuclearmac

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009

so i have life time c.c.. . i am a Veteran, retired over 65. i need to do an 8 hour and a shoot.to renew???

West

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Baton Rouge, louisiana
    Yep, everything Dave said is correct. Took mine in February thinking I was going to breeze through my half class on a Saturday. Nope had to stay the whole eight hours and then shoot.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA

How recent was this change?

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I signed up for a renewal class on this Dec 12 at Precision Firearms in BR and the instruction sheet I was given says initial class starts at 9:00 am renewal classes at 1:15 pm and end around 7:00pm. The same times as for my last renewal 5 years ago.

Cowboy55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2018
    Baton Rouge LA
    I had a Georgia CCW for decades and renewal process was much easier. Louisiana makes it much harder and costs much more. Also having to live here more than 15 years to qualify as a resident is ridiculous. I'm a legal LA resident in every other respect except for CCW.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I had a Georgia CCW for decades and renewal process was much easier. Louisiana makes it much harder and costs much more. Also having to live here more than 15 years to qualify as a resident is ridiculous. I'm a legal LA resident in every other respect except for CCW.

They only want to know where you lived for the past 15 years, they do not say you are not a resident of Louisiana.

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    Within the last six months.

I'd like to see the text for this rule change. I sure didn't receive an email, or other document stating this. The LSP website for chlinstrucreq, still reads this way

"Page 2 of 2If you wish to teach any course other that one mentioned above for renewal training of concealed handgun permittees, you must apply for course approval. Submit a detailed course syllabus along with any course material for approval by the Department."

and goes on to say,

Renewal Course instruction shall include: 1.Instruction on handgun nomenclature and safe handling procedures for a revolver and a semi-automatic pistol; 2.Instruction on ammunition knowledge and fundamentals of pistol shooting; 3.Instruction on handgun shooting positions; 4.Instruction on the use of deadly force and conflict-resolution which shall include a review of L.R.S. 14:18through 14:22 and which may include a review of any other laws relating to use of deadly force; 5.Instruction on child access prevention; and 6.Actual live range fire and proper handgun cleaning procedures: a.Live range fire shall include 12 rounds each at 6 feet, 10 feet, and 15 feet for a total of 36 rounds; b.Each applicant or permittee must perform at least one safe reload of the handgun at each distance; c.Each applicant or permittee must score 100% hits within the silhouette portion of a NRA B-27 Type silhouette target with at least 36 rounds.

Unlike the new trainee course, it does not give a required time for the instruction.

Being that it is the same material reqs as the standard class, and I have not tested this, as I don't separate renewals from new. I would think that you could use the same Syllabus, with condensed time frames, which may be accepted, and shorten the length of renewals. It does seem like I remember there being language about not having required time frames for renewals on there with this same text before. Which my have been removed, in order to encourage those people teaching reduced time frame renewal classes to submit a condensed syllabus.

I am not doubting what your saying, I just don't see any new language in any of the resources I have been using for ongoing compliance.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Call the LSP concealed handgun permit unit and ask for clarification.

This is what was discussed when I took my renewal at FRC range. Perhaps you could call them and ask.

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    I’n curious, because I didn’t find out till I signed up.

The question was whether you could offer a condensed time version of the standard syllabus.

The answer was point blank, No, law dictates that you must teach the same course.

After doing some research on legis.la.gov, it appears that Acts 2020, No. 299, §1 : revised LRS 40:1379.3 to remove the language about not having time limitations on renewals. In removal of that language, renewals now fall under the same instructional requirement as a new application.

Thank you Dave_M for pointing that out. As a rule I never separated my renewals, and always taught the same material anyway. It is good to know about that change in any case, and yes it is a very recent, like as of the last legislative session change apparently.

I am kind of glad they added this change though, it has long been a topic of debate among instructors. Some being on the side of reduced time classes for renewals, and others arguing that it short cuts renewal clients of needed training.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I look at it as a good thing, simply because some people *forget* the law and it puts renewals and new applicants in the same classroom.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom