Seekins vs Aero

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan_5187

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2020
    Amite
    I’m looking into getting my first AR platform. I have a shot at an Aero Vs Seekins and was seeing if anyone had any thoughts or preferences. Thanks.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Nothing wrong with Aero, but I would imagine in a "tiered" structure. Seekins would be classified in a higher tier.

I happen to had 2 seekins rifles, they are both from ~2011 or so. At the time, they made their own billet upper/lower with ambi bolt catch, rear detent spring screw, a screw for the bolt catch instead of a pin, And I think it has a set screw to tighten up upper/lower fitment. My SBR came with adjustable gas and a radial fluted stainless barrel, and a continuous tip rail (doesn't have that thick section where the upper stops and handguard starts).

The other one had a sub MOA 14.5 inch barrel, with a handguard being shaped kinda triangular which I really did like it having a flat bottom. Once again the lowers had all the same features, and the upper had the continuous rail on top, but this one had an upper designed on ONLY fit that 1 style handguard.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Keep this in mind. I purchased two sets of billet upper and lower receivers in the past, to try out. Doing on line research, forged receivers are stronger than billet receivers. That means Aero or Anderson forged receivers are stronger than billet AL receivers, period. A $49 Anderson AR15 lower receiver is better than somebody's CNC billet AL receiver in terms of strength. A CNC billet receiver allows for aesthetic design, visual uniqueness vs a forged mass produced item.

I have purchased prob 15-20 new Anderson lowers over the years and never had a problem one. I did have to return and exchange a billet upper receiver with the manufacturer due to defective threading. Aero Precision is known for impeccable products, a step above Anderson.

Quote from article linked below: "Metallurgists agree that a forged piece of aluminum is stronger than cast or billet. The reason being, when the material is shaped under pressure, its ‘grain’ follows the same shape as the part."

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/08/ar...t-vs-billet-vs-forged-aluminum/#axzz6d7lt62Az

Detailed explanation of cast, forged, or billet receivers: https://www.80-lower.com/80-lower-b... that a forged,allowed by the forging process.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I believe the Aero M4E1 is a forged lower with billet aesthetics. I have three builds using them with no issues so far.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    If you are building one from the ground up keep an eye out for the Aero m4e1 "blem" lowers. I snagged one a month ago for $80ish shipped direct from Aero. Theres no cosmetic blems that I could find.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If we’re talking complete rifles, Seekins puts out a better quality rifle. Since it’s your first rifle, I recommend purchasing a complete rifle rather than building one.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Seekins and as you said Whole Rifle I do not see where you said build one.
    But it always comes up.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I believe the Aero M4E1 is a forged lower with billet aesthetics. I have three builds using them with no issues so far.

It is forged. My point about receivers above is CNC billet is not better than forged. It may look prettier, but it's not a better product, and is actually inferior to a forged lower receiver. Many people (and owners) are fooled by the term "billet". They just don't know any better.

I vote Aero Precision complete rifle.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Seekins has forged receivers also. I have one of those also but has a 9 inch aac upper on it

Every complete AR15 rifle on the Seekins Precision website is assembled with their billet receivers. Even their lowest cost AR15 has a billet lower. And all they offer in their parts selections are their billet upper and lower receivers.

https://seekinsprecision.com/rifles-new/modern-sporting-rifles.html

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Every complete AR15 rifle on the Seekins Precision website is assembled with their billet receivers. Even their lowest cost AR15 has a billet lower. And all they offer in their parts selections are their billet upper and lower receivers.

https://seekinsprecision.com/rifles-new/modern-sporting-rifles.html

Maybe they stopped selling them, but they’re out there.

l0tzHR2.jpg

Bc I own one....

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Keep this in mind. I purchased two sets of billet upper and lower receivers in the past, to try out. Doing on line research, forged receivers are stronger than billet receivers. That means Aero or Anderson forged receivers are stronger than billet AL receivers, period. A $49 Anderson AR15 lower receiver is better than somebody's CNC billet AL receiver in terms of strength. A CNC billet receiver allows for aesthetic design, visual uniqueness vs a forged mass produced item.

I have purchased prob 15-20 new Anderson lowers over the years and never had a problem one. I did have to return and exchange a billet upper receiver with the manufacturer due to defective threading. Aero Precision is known for impeccable products, a step above Anderson.

Quote from article linked below: "Metallurgists agree that a forged piece of aluminum is stronger than cast or billet. The reason being, when the material is shaped under pressure, its ‘grain’ follows the same shape as the part."

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/08/ar...t-vs-billet-vs-forged-aluminum/#axzz6d7lt62Az

Detailed explanation of cast, forged, or billet receivers: https://www.80-lower.com/80-lower-b... that a forged,allowed by the forging process.

But the question I guess is though structurally forged maybe stronger. Why the increased need for strength? There’s polymer lowers out there, though I wouldn’t personally use one. So billet is plenty strong enough to handle all the functions required of the lower. I think for a rifle, forged is fine. But when you do want the added features like the built in ambi safety, ambi mag release, screws for detent spring and screws instead of pins in certain places, you can have those luxuries in a billet lower.

The downside to billet for me is the weight. A billet receiver set usually weighs more than a forged basic set.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Is a forged receiver stronger than a block of billet? Yes.
    Does that matter? Probably not.

Arguing that forged is stronger to justify purchasing cheap receivers is a bit silly.

Seekins objectively produces a superior rifle when compared to Aero Precision. Arguing over forged versus billet has no impact on the assembly process and parts quality from the two manufacturers in question.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Does that matter? Probably not.

Arguing that forged is stronger to justify purchasing cheap receivers is a bit silly.

It's not an argument, it's a discussion. I'm laying out the facts for the OP, so he can make an educated decision concerning his purchase. You don't like the facts so you call it silly and an argument. You always want to appear as "the expert" here and the last word concerning the AR15 and have a very hard time admitting when you are wrong. This isn't the first time this has happened.

A forged lower receiver is stronger than a billet receiver, and lighter too. Documented in numerous detailed articles on line by real experts. Why spend more for an inferior product? Because it looks pretty? Because Dave_M says so?

Maybe for the uninformed.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It's not an argument, it's a discussion. I'm laying out the facts for the OP, so he can make an educated decision concerning his purchase. You don't like the facts so you call it silly and an argument. You always want to appear as "the expert" here and the last word concerning the AR15 and have a very hard time admitting when you are wrong. This isn't the first time this has happened.

A forged lower receiver is stronger than a billet receiver. Documented in numerous detailed articles on line by real experts. Why spend more for an inferior product? Because it looks pretty? Because Dave_M says so?

Maybe for the uninformed.

I suppose you missed the part where I said a forged receiver is stronger...

I’m not sure where I said anyone should buy billet over forged, so I don’t see what the fuss is about. What are you so worked up about?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Regardless if you choose a forged or billet receiver, both must be machined and finished. One starts life as a forging and the other starts life as a billet. Strength of raw materials aside, the end product heavily relies on who is machining the receiver.

I don’t know of many people who have destroyed a billet receiver under most normal operations, but if it’s something to be concerned with, go with a forged receiver set. If you want the added features and style of a billet receiver set, then go that route instead.

I’m fairly certain the OP was asking about complete rifles and from my experience with both, Seekins Precision builds a better rifle than Aero Precision.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    I’m the rifle noob around these parts but I did to a lot of homework before getting into this, and as many of the the others have said, the Aero M4E1 is a extremely good value, attractive, and plenty good enough for your *average dude* quality level. I’ve got two built and another box of parts waiting for me, and they’re awesome. I can share some pics and a build list if you’re interested or if that helps get started.

Seekins is an objectively better product but whether or not it’s not double-the-price-better is probably going to be up to your experience, intended use and cash flow. My GUESS, again just as an average idiot and not an expert or any sort of operator, is that when the rifle’s built and you’re popping paper at 100 yards, you probably wouldn’t notice the difference.

Aero has blem lowers on sale very frequently and you get 10% off for signing up for their mailing list so you’d be looking about $70 for a stripped lower and $60 for a stripped upper, which shaves about 1/3 off their normal retail prices.

Edit: I have no experience with built/complete rifles either way, so if that's what you're shopping for definitely discard this post.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom