Les Baer vs. Ed Brown

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garrett316

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2018
    Springfield, LA
    I’m looking at getting my first “custom” higher end 45acp 1911 for everyday carry and have narrowed it down to a Les Baer stinger and Ed Brown with an officer frame. I’m more of a classic looking 1911 kind of guy and really like how these 2 manufacturers use minimal real estate to engrave their name/model. There are added options I like Ed brown offers that Les Baer doesn’t however are they worth ~$1,000 more? The other thing that concerns me is the customer service. I hear nothing but good about Les Baer but not too much good on Ed Browns.

What is everyone’s opinion?

pandabear

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 1, 2014
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    I purchased a Les Baer Monolith Stinger a few years back in 9mm. Had to admit, I was just trying to "keeping up with the Jones". The dame thing was so beautiful I was scare to touch it, mush less shooting it. Their customer service is second to none. Got to talk to Les himself in numerous occasions. The whole time while we're communicating back and forth, wasn't sure if I was lying to him, or myself. LOL. He indicated the Stinger was a good everyday carrying model. At the end everybody was happy except my pocket book. A few months later, I "step down" to an STI 1911 in 9mm as my everyday carry while the Les Baer stay in the safe.

sandy1

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    B.R., La.
    I bought an Ed Brown. Good gun bud bought a Les Baer.
    Bunch of gun guys shooting one weekend.
    After the shooting one guy says " That Les Baer is a fine pistol BUT it ain't an Ed Brown".
    Every head was shaking in agreement except one.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've owned both and still have my Ed Brown.

Admittedly, I kept the Ed Brown because I liked the looks of it more. I'm a minimalist, and the Classic Custom is a bare-bones gun with absolutely no frills, except for the top-notch quality.

The Les Baer was a very fine piece and superb to handle and shoot. My interactions with both factories have been nothing but stellar, so I'm not sure that would really be the tipping point with me.

It's also worth remembering that these guns are all hand-made, which means that you may want to handle a few of the same model to find "the one."

I don't think you'd go wrong with either. And at some point I'll put a Les Baer Black Baer 9mm in my safe, just because.

Mike

Last edited:

Garrett316

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2018
    Springfield, LA
    I purchased a Les Baer Monolith Stinger a few years back in 9mm. Had to admit, I was just trying to "keeping up with the Jones". The dame thing was so beautiful I was scare to touch it, mush less shooting it. Their customer service is second to none. Got to talk to Les himself in numerous occasions. The whole time while we're communicating back and forth, wasn't sure if I was lying to him, or myself. LOL. He indicated the Stinger was a good everyday carrying model. At the end everybody was happy except my pocket book. A few months later, I "step down" to an STI 1911 in 9mm as my everyday carry while the Les Baer stay in the safe.

Thanks for the feedback! Is there a reason you don’t carry the Baer other than the price of it?

- - - Updated - - -

Les Baer. I have shot and handed both.

Thank you for your feedback!

Last edited:

Garrett316

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2018
    Springfield, LA
    I bought an Ed Brown. Good gun bud bought a Les Baer.
    Bunch of gun guys shooting one weekend.
    After the shooting one guy says " That Les Baer is a fine pistol BUT it ain't an Ed Brown".
    Every head was shaking in agreement except one.

Thank you for your feedback! I’m guessing the only one not agreeing was the one that bought the Baer? Haha

Garrett316

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2018
    Springfield, LA
    I've owned both and still have my Ed Brown.

Admittedly, I kept the Ed Brown because I liked the looks of it more. I'm a minimalist, and the Classic Custom is a bare-bones gun with absolutely no frills, except for the top-notch quality.

The Les Baer was a very fine piece and superb to handle and shoot. My interactions with both factories have been nothing but stellar, so I'm not sure that would really be the tipping point with me.

It's also worth remembering that these guns are all hand-made, which means that you may want to handle a few of the same model to find "the one."

I don't think you'd go wrong with either. And at some point I'll put a Les Baer Black Baer 9mm in my safe, just because.

Mike

Thank you for your feedback Mike! Very helpful! I’ll admit the black Baer is SWEET looking, next 9mm 1911 I’m in the market for it will be at the top of my list.

sandy1

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    B.R., La.
    Correct.
    But in all honesty you will not go wrong with either brand. They are both just works of art and almost hit the bullseye on their own.
    I ordered a Classic Custom as I wanted a Colt 70s series look while my friend wanted a newer tactical look.
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other as they say. You would be very happy.
    And we have not even mentioned Wilson Combat.

Garrett316

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2018
    Springfield, LA
    Correct.
    But in all honesty you will not go wrong with either brand. They are both just works of art and almost hit the bullseye on their own.
    I ordered a Classic Custom as I wanted a Colt 70s series look while my friend wanted a newer tactical look.
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other as they say. You would be very happy.
    And we have not even mentioned Wilson Combat.

I feel like we enjoy the same flavor of firearms!
    I’m not sure how someone could find the *newer tactical look* in a Les baer...
    Also I really liked the way the Wilsons felt in hand, to me though it looks like it has a touch of modernness to it rather than a simple utilitarian look. At least the ones I seen...

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    Not to throw a wrench in the works here, as Baer and Brown are both amazing shooters, but have you considered a Springfield Professional? At the price point, same ballpark. Available in 9 or 45, and they’re built to FBI HRT reliability and accuracy standards.

STI Staccato is out in the ballpark as well (if you can find one) but I think they’re 2011 models. I have a single stack Spartan in 9. Sure it’s an import frame but that thing is anvil reliable and tackdriver accurate (even before mods). Wasn’t terribly expensive as a base to build from; I prefer it for competitive style stuff now over my 17L, even factoring the huge capacity deficit.

And they’re both series 70s if that’s important to you. Personally that’s exactly the reason I carry an SIS... had a Sig 5”, a Raptor 4”, and a Springfield Loaded 3” previously. All shot fantastic but the series 80 safety stuff drives me nuts.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    IMHO:
    Les Baer = good
    Ed Brown = very good
    Wilson / NightHawk / Guncrafter Industries = great.
    And there are several more really good custom guns that I have not shot personally.
    That being said, having shot all of the above, I don't think there is that much difference in them from a practical standpoint. At least not that I would notice at my limited skill level.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    If you are entertaining other brands then I’d take a look Alchemy. Alchemy makes a more classic one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom