Best 5.56 Defensive Ammo?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’ve never felt like surplus ammo was a good choice for defensive ammo in my AR, but I’ve run into many who disagree, touting green tip/SS109/M855 as king when it comes to using the AR for home defense. I’m not saying 855 is not a good SHTF ammo choice, but I don’t see where it’s anything more than a glorified target load due to bulk availability/cost.
    I depended on polymer tip varmint loads in 55gr for quite a few years until I grabbed a block of these a few years ago. Only testing that’s been done on my end is pigs and 1-2 year old deer with successful results.
    The AR is not always my first choice for bump in the night scenarios, but when I reach for it, it’s full of these.
    What are you guys loading up with?

Thoughts, comments, real world info appreciated.

https://youtu.be/Z3OjZpjTvLQ

Attachments

• F9E5D123-23B1-48EE-B952-E36C16AB623B.jpg
      F9E5D123-23B1-48EE-B952-E36C16AB623B.jpg
      232.4 KB · Views: 116
    • 9B024769-ACDE-478B-8B1D-9B51B3C3AD51.jpg
      9B024769-ACDE-478B-8B1D-9B51B3C3AD51.jpg
      232.2 KB · Views: 85
    Last edited:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I like whatever Kyle Rittenhouse used . Actually it goes back to the under over penetration argument . From experience with deer 62 bonded has enough penetration to reach the backbone or go through thick garments . It will also go through thin walls if you don't aim before you shoot . The black / v max is a violent explosive bullet and definitely will not over penetrate . I live in a rural setting and no kids so no problems with penetration and I like the idea of plenty of penetration . The two mentioned so far are on the extreme end of the spectrum .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have seen what ballistic tip ammo is capable of in .223 from crows and dillos to coyotes, pigs and such. They definitely exploit the high speed and energy of the round. Even the 45gr polymer tips can explode small varmints, suggesting they release the majority of that energy in a short amount of travel through the target. I’d likely still be relying on ballistic tip loads had I not bought heavily into these bonded loads.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    At this point whatever I can find and not take out a second mortgage
    Haha, good point. Pretty soon we might have to decide to either shoot or wait and see how they fare with Fideaux before wasting 20 bucks worth of bullets. Or you can do like Gator and use match heads and fishing sinkers to make some home defense shotgun shells...

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Haha, good point. Pretty soon we might have to decide to either shoot or wait and see how they fare with Fideaux before wasting 20 bucks worth of bullets. Or you can do like Gator and use match heads and fishing sinkers to make some home defense shotgun shells...

I see what you did there....
    How many 55 grain ballistic tips can I fit into a 12 gauge shell?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom