Tragedy at USPSA match

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    This is very sad news. The member should be banned for life.

Why? Did you even read the article or watch the video? The gun was dropped during competition. And it went off. Guns get dropped all the time in matches and never go off. This is like 1 in a million chance and it did. Sad case but not negligent in any way.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA

Why? Did you even read the article or watch the video? The gun was dropped during competition. And it went off. Guns get dropped all the time in matches and never go off. This is like 1 in a million chance and it did. Sad case but not negligent in any way.

Last that I remember, dropping a gun is a DQ. An AD is also a DQ. The shooter was negligent and a person is dead as a result. Who would want to shoot in the same match with he only member to ever kill someone during a match?
    Once I saw someone loose his grip on a handgun, but caught it before hitting the deck. Other than that, I have never seen a shooter drop a firearm. Where does this happen *all the time? I will avoid those matches.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans

The gun was dropped during competition. And it went off. Guns get dropped all the time in matches and never go off. This is like 1 in a million chance and it did. Sad case but not negligent in any way.

Update 11/11/2020: We now know that the firearm in question was a DA/SA CZ Shadow, which does not have an internal firing pin block. According to eyewitnesses, the gun missed the holster during Load and Make Ready, fell and struck the concrete indoor range floor hammer first, causing the round to discharge.

So actually, the gun wasn't dropped during competition, it was dropped while reholstering inattentively. That is 100% negligence, particularly when the shooter is responsible for a gun that isn't drop safe.

I actually don't like the way this article update was worded... The gun didn't miss the holster, the shooter missed the holster. Saying things like "the gun missed the holster" and "the gun was dropped" take human agency out of the equation and blame the hardware, and that's letting someone off the hook for being irresponsible and unsafe.

Last edited:

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    You grabbed a gun that was falling? I'm pretty sure that isn't a very smart thing either.

Only A/D I've ever had was catching a falling handgun. It could have went so bad in so many ways, thank the good Lord, Muzzle was always in a safe direction.

On another note, they clearly state the CZ pistol was not drop safe. I can't imagine no matter how popular a pistol is, it would be allowed in any form of action pistol shooting. I wouldn't take a complete redesign to put an internal firing pin stop as most pistols have already.

Last edited:

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Only A/D I've ever had was catching a falling handgun. It could have went so bad in so many ways, thank the good Lord, Muzzle was always in a safe direction.

That is how a shooter in Canada was killed. His pistol was falling and he caught it and shot himself IIRC

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    On another note, they clearly state the CZ pistol was not drop safe. I can't imagine no matter how popular a pistol is, it would be allowed in any form of action pistol shooting. I wouldn't take a complete redesign to put an internal firing pin stop as most pistols have already.

Completely agree with this point. Maybe from here on the regulations will change to allow only drop safe equipment. Very sad for everyone involved.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have "made ready" and holstered my comp gun hundreds of times. I don't believe I've ever not consciously looked and guided my gun to it with my eyes. This sounds like a "make ready" without looking or possibly a shirt or roll of fat hanging over the belt hindering/blocking/obstructing the holster.

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    I do agree with southerncanuck as well because knowing you have non drop safe firearm requires an additional safety concern to be aware and responsible for. Still very sad.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    No, the shooter who dropped it caught it before it hit the deck. He was warned by the RO that it would have been a DQ if the gun would have hit the deck.

The RO SHOULD issue a DQ, he lost control of his firearm period.
    Maybe not forcing the shooter to start hammer down would have prevented this, cocked and locked, or on the decocker stop depending on the model.
    Ive seen shooters get the gun in the holster and then drop it, I always caution the keep control of the pistol till its fully seated

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Once the lawyers get involved I’m sure it will be another attempt to hold the manufacture accountable. Never let a tragedy go to waste. The holster company, the range, the concrete company, lighting provider...etc will probably be named in the lawsuit.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom