Tragedy at USPSA match

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I once saw an overweight and worn out shooter drop his glock in a stage that required shooters to lean down or crouch to shoot into a barrel or tunnel into target, and when he went down or to stand up he started to fall forward and tossed gun to ground and away from himself , essentially down range closer to target. RO was a VERY experienced RO and let it slide. I dont know the regs well enough to know difference tbh.. but it brings that to memory..

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    I'd ban him if I were the governing body of that institution... its just a ban from competition not like they are taking away his 2A.... I mean he freaking killed someone through negligence. Also, anyone who tries to catch a falling gun is a freaking idiot. Also, whoever thought that making the shadow not drop safe would be a good idea is an idiot... Thank god my CZ75 SP-01 Tactical has a firing pin block, had to do some research just now... lol I carry that sucker hot and decocked all the time.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Accidents happen and this was a bad one. My reason for the post was to make us aware that stuff happens and do not take range safety for granted. Driving to the match is more dangerous that attending one.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    There seems to be a lot of focus on the pistol not being drop safe. Yeah, that’s pretty stupid, but it’s also largely irrelevant. Don’t let go of the pistol unless it’s seated into the holster. Don’t try to speed holster the gun because you think it makes you look like hot ****, it doesn’t. It’s that simple.

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    If you are advocating reaching for a falling gun, you should be banned for life. That is neither acceptable in the military nor any sanctioned shooting event. Good thing we have experts like you to judge events that you were not present for and to promulgate unsafe handling. If you wanted recognition, you certainly have it now.

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    323MAR, If you are advocating reaching for a falling gun, you should be banned for life. That is neither acceptable in the military nor any sanctioned shooting event. Good thing we have experts like you to judge events that you were not present for and to promulgate unsafe handling. If you wanted recognition, you certainly have it now.
    The fact that you didn't cite the range officer allowing someone to catch a falling gun as the most egregious thing of all is telling. As far as "banning" the subject, what do you hope to achieve? Do you honestly think he will ever want to participate in these matches again? Life as he knows it is over, between the civil, criminal, and moral liability. I think he has bigger worries right now, and so do the event officials. Get real.

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    323MAR, If you are advocating reaching for a falling gun, you should be banned for life. That is neither acceptable in the military nor any sanctioned shooting event. Good thing we have experts like you to judge events that you were not present for and to promulgate unsafe handling. If you wanted recognition, you certainly have it now.
    The fact that you didn't cite the range officer allowing someone to catch a falling gun as the most egregious thing of all is telling. As far as "banning" the subject, what do you hope to achieve? Do you honestly think he will ever want to participate in these matches again? Life as he knows it is over, between the civil, criminal, and moral liability. I think he has bigger worries right now, and so do the event officials. Get real.

When did I say that?
    As I explained earlier, I was mentioning that the shooter caught his own gun as it was falling. I then repeated 5eat the RO told him that he would have been DQ if it would have hit the deck. I did fail to mention that the handgun was a revolver(long trigger for an AD.)

You can not hold me accountable for the actions of another shooter. That is against the rules.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA

I have never been DQ from a match and you think that I should be banned just for witnessing another shooter drop and catch his own revolver? WOW!

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA

Where did you you attend boot camp? In the Marine Corps it is unacceptable to permit your rifle to hit the deck. Since when is it unsafe to catch an unloaded rifle?
    What branch of the military were you referring to?

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA

The RO does not have mind control powers. If the shooter grabs his 686 revolver before it hits the deck, then there is no stopping him.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    P

You accidentally killed the Ro, so you are DQ today, but are welcome back next month! Have a nice day!

MikeBurke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2017
    Delcambre, LA
    I had the good fortune to attend six days of excellent tactical pistol training last year.

One thing that was impressed upon us was to re-holster carefully, actually the word they used was "reluctantly". There is no reason to rush placing a pistol back in the holster and no excuse to "miss" the holster.

MikeBurke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2017
    Delcambre, LA
    And the day I drop my phone and it shoots and kills somebody I will say there was no excuse for that. At least the phone will be safe in the case.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    How many people who say "he should have been more careful" and "there's no excuse" have a protective case on their cell phone?

Respectfully, that's not a parallel. Your phone doesn't have the capacity to discharge projectiles designed to kill people at 1200fps.

I have a case on my phone, I wear my seatbelt when I drive, I have insurance on my house, I have a big circuit breaker between the power pole and my toaster, I brush my teeth before bed, and I put on sunscreen when it's 100 degrees outside. Putting measures in place to protect against potential risks has nothing even remotely to do with getting complacent about safe gun handling.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom