Tragedy at USPSA match

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    How about under anesthesia for surgery? I've been unconscious twice for surgery and didn't remember a single thing during the procedure. Or a medically induced coma?

https://www.rn.com/nursing-news/medically-induced-coma-inducing-state-of-profound-unconsciousness/

How about it? Not remembering is not the same as not thinking. The medically induced coma article mentions the brain being in a state of rest. For the sake of argument, let's say the state of rest means no thinking. Unless one believes the guy was in a medically induced coma, the meaning of my post stands. But I will adjust my previous statement.

That's probably not a possibility. People's brain are always thinking about something. They're never not thinking.*

*This may not apply to people in a medically induced coma.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    How about it? Not remembering is not the same as not thinking. The medically induced coma article mentions the brain being in a state of rest. For the sake of argument, let's say the state of rest means no thinking. Unless one believes the guy was in a medically induced coma, the meaning of my post stands. But I will adjust my previous statement.

That's probably not a possibility. People's brain are always thinking about something. They're never not thinking.*

*This may not apply to people in a medically induced coma.

I just could not resist. You used the word "never" in your declaration, but that word should be used very carefully. Clearly you pride yourself here on being very accurate.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I just could not resist. You used the word "never" in your declaration, but that word should be used very carefully. Clearly you pride yourself here on being very accurate.

I try to be as accurate as I can. And the article states the brain is in a state of rest, not the brain is shut down. That leaves open the possibility for some brain activity that might include thinking. But because that scenario doesn't affect the topic of the discussion and because I'm too lazy to do any research on it, it's just easier to concede that point.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    WD-40 is great for cleaning shotguns! The more expensive the shotgun the better it is!

IIRC the range safety officer is responsible for ensuring the safe gun handling. Certainly not saying it was his fault but if the guy had been acting unsafe then he should have been DQ'd aready. Since that hadn't happened and he had been safe throughout the match I have to assume this was a freak accident. It was the RO's responsiblity to keep his eye on the gun, especially during manipulations such as weapons changes and holstering. I find RO's watching the rounds hit and not watching the gun. You're not there as a spectator. ( The idea is called comparative negligence. Not knowing all of the facts I would guess the fault was 80% the shooter, 20% the RO )

If a race car driver kills another driver on the track in an accident do you ban him for life? I'd think not. I'd think it likely that the driver might give up racing, just as the shooter might give up shooting. I see no need to punish him further at this point. I'd suggest he take the rest of the tournament season off though.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    Now that all those who have gone on and on about being negligent got it out of their systems, they can now go back to texting while driving 80mph down the interstate weaving in and out of traffic.

Vehicles are used negligently every second of every day, and it kills way more innocent people (children) than what happened in this scenario. But because a gun was involved this is somehow worse, when actually the opposite is true because I am sure this man was not knowingly and willingly being unsafe. Drivers who drive like an a** know exactly what they are doing.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have had a cell phone since I was 18.. so 22 yrs. I have broken 3 of them in that time. I have not soiled myself once during that time.

Just 1 data point, hope it helps the discussion

I had not though much about the drop safety quslities of guns until this thread. I have a selection of series 70 1911s. Pretty sure the rest of the handguns I have are drop safe. Maybe not the desert eagles. I will certainly be more careful when shooting those in the future. I carry glock and from what I can tell those are drop safe. Seems like a good feature. You never know when you might slip up and drop something, even a handgun. You might even drop it on purpose, so you have your hands free to catch something else, like a baby or a faberge egg. It would suck to save a baby or priceless art but then have your handgun shoot the pope or someone important ( the pope has faberge eggs btw)

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I can remember the NOPD burglary unit carrying 1911's years ago. Dropping a firearm in an accident is bad, but I would imagine LEO's fighting with a suspect would increase the odds of that happening. Their gun or the suspects for that matter...

I seem to remember an ND at the shooting range on Bainbridge in Kenner (might have been the one in Harahan though) many years ago where a gun was dropped. I remember just a toe injury.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    I do not know if it would have helped in this situation, but if there is anything good that can be taken from this situation, is that every shooter should take it upon him/herself to get some basic medical training and have an IFAK on their person/kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom