Tragedy at USPSA match

https://gatdaily.com/uspsa-range-officer-shot/

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

Man that is hard to read.
    I will add him and his family in my prayers

Marksman

User Info Menu

This is very sad news. The member should be banned for life.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

SAD, Praying for the family.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 323MAR View Post
    This is very sad news. The member should be banned for life.

Why? Did you even read the article or watch the video? The gun was dropped during competition. And it went off. Guns get dropped all the time in matches and never go off. This is like 1 in a million chance and it did. Sad case but not negligent in any way.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 981GT4 View Post

Why? Did you even read the article or watch the video? The gun was dropped during competition. And it went off. Guns get dropped all the time in matches and never go off. This is like 1 in a million chance and it did. Sad case but not negligent in any way.

Last that I remember, dropping a gun is a DQ. An AD is also a DQ. The shooter was negligent and a person is dead as a result. Who would want to shoot in the same match with he only member to ever kill someone during a match?
    Once I saw someone loose his grip on a handgun, but caught it before hitting the deck. Other than that, I have never seen a shooter drop a firearm. Where does this happen *all the time? I will avoid those matches.

On Target

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 323MAR View Post
    Once I saw someone loose his grip on a handgun, but caught it before hitting the deck.
    You grabbed a gun that was falling? I'm pretty sure that isn't a very smart thing either.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 981GT4 View Post
    The gun was dropped during competition. And it went off. Guns get dropped all the time in matches and never go off. This is like 1 in a million chance and it did. Sad case but not negligent in any way.
    Update 11/11/2020: We now know that the firearm in question was a DA/SA CZ Shadow, which does not have an internal firing pin block. According to eyewitnesses, the gun missed the holster during Load and Make Ready, fell and struck the concrete indoor range floor hammer first, causing the round to discharge.

So actually, the gun wasn't dropped during competition, it was dropped while reholstering inattentively. That is 100% negligence, particularly when the shooter is responsible for a gun that isn't drop safe.

I actually don't like the way this article update was worded... The gun didn't miss the holster, the shooter missed the holster. Saying things like "the gun missed the holster" and "the gun was dropped" take human agency out of the equation and blame the hardware, and that's letting someone off the hook for being irresponsible and unsafe.
    Last edited by southerncanuck; November 12th, 2020 at 09:58 AM.

On Target

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by civiltiger07 View Post
    You grabbed a gun that was falling? I'm pretty sure that isn't a very smart thing either.
    Only A/D I've ever had was catching a falling handgun. It could have went so bad in so many ways, thank the good Lord, Muzzle was always in a safe direction.

On another note, they clearly state the CZ pistol was not drop safe. I can't imagine no matter how popular a pistol is, it would be allowed in any form of action pistol shooting. I wouldn't take a complete redesign to put an internal firing pin stop as most pistols have already.
    Last edited by Jlong1691; November 12th, 2020 at 10:01 AM. Reason: content

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jlong1691 View Post
    Only A/D I've ever had was catching a falling handgun. It could have went so bad in so many ways, thank the good Lord, Muzzle was always in a safe direction.
    That is how a shooter in Canada was killed. His pistol was falling and he caught it and shot himself IIRC