Toe dip pistol dot.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tonyaav

Tony
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Natchitoches ( outside of )
    This is my first pistol dot experience. Man enough to admit it. Picking up my first pair of readers ( glasses) last year I knew the day was coming. Have had dots on long guns for years but “ everyone” says / hints that dots on handguns a lot harder to pick up.
    Open to any tips , heads up, don’t do this. Etc.
    First plan is to sight with bench on 2 moa dot then switch to 32moa ring to practice picking up.
    Open to first hand experience to save me time ...... and sadly ammo these days.
    6db98509ffdee557d62966b2f4c52e4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The dot shows you every little flaw in your presentation and you will be fishing for the dot if the gun isn't pointed out at the target.

Most people that have a poor presentation will get frustrated, because they can't find the dot immediately. With iron sights, you will subconsciously correct for any deviation, because you are hard focused on the front sight and can see the relation between the rear and front sights. With a red dot only, you do not have this and must rely on practice and repetition to solve the problem. When you have a red dot equipped with backup iron sights, you can see where the irons are in relation to each other when you can't find the dot. This is why the dot itself becomes a great training tool, it allows you to see the error.

50082941883_1299067387_b.jpg

50083762302_3195ce4e95_b.jpg

The end goal is to be able to present the pistol and the dot be there on target. This is no different than the goal of shooting with irons, except most people reach the point where they present the gun, adjust their sight picture, then make the gun go bang. You should not rely on the irons to acquire a sight picture when using a dot. The purpose of the dot is to be target focused and have the dot overlay the target. With iron sights, you are looking at the front sight, but have to mind the rear as well as the relationship between the two sights and the target.J

Since you're in Baton Rouge, I would highly recommend taking a visit to FRC Range and speaking with the instructors there. John and his people teach an intro to RDS class that would be beneficial.

Tonyaav

Tony
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Dave ,
    Thank you for your advice, perspective and the pics. I do occasionally shoot at FRC and will look into that class.
    Much dry fire and presentation in my future!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Dave ,
    Thank you for your advice, perspective and the pics. I do occasionally shoot at FRC and will look into that class.
    Much dry fire and presentation in my future!

As you get used to it, I think you will really enjoy shooting with the dot. It will make you a better shooter overall and you will find you shoot better with irons after getting over the learning curve.

I switched over to a RDS at the beginning of 2018 and if funds allowed I would put a dot on every pistol I own.

Tonyaav

Tony
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Even though I have only mounted and been messing with presenting. I feel a little excited for the first time in a long time over anything pistol.
    Already looked at schedule for FRC , Dec 6, if time and funds permit. I’ll be there.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    +1 for the guys at FRC. I've taken classes and private instruction there, could be worth it just to book a one-hour private session for $40-45 (something around there, I can't recall exactly off the top of my head) for a one-on-one intensive crash course... might be good ROI and expedite the learning curve.

Tonyaav

Tony
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Southern,
    That’s a great idea I didn’t know was available. I prefer private instruction as I ask a lot of questions and don’t like to dominate a multi person class environment. Thanks for the heads up!

noahvale

shootist
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    Redstick
    All you have to do ask a question at FRC and they go over and above to help. Sighting in the dot is pretty easy with the adjustable rests and sandbags that are there at the range. They have stools too. Once you sight it in at a particular range, it will change just a little at different distances. I setup mine at 10 yards and it doesn't change much until you get out to 25 or so, and then only an inch or so.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    All you have to do ask a question at FRC and they go over and above to help. Sighting in the dot is pretty easy with the adjustable rests and sandbags that are there at the range. They have stools too. Once you sight it in at a particular range, it will change just a little at different distances. I setup mine at 10 yards and it doesn't change much until you get out to 25 or so, and then only an inch or so.

My pistol sights are set for 25 yards.

Top Bottom