Saiga Ak conversion question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Hey everyone,I know someone who has a Russian Saiga 7.62x39 for sale and I'm thinking of picking it up..

I don't know much about them but the one he has I guess is the "unconverted" style..

I want to know about how much would it cost to convert it to move the trigger forward and make it accept an Ak stock and accept Ak-47 mags?..also if y'all know anyone in louisiana that is capable of converting it,if not I'm open to sending it off out of state to have the conversion done .

I just want to see if it's worth getting it or not because he wants $850 for it as-is..

This is how it currently looks(stock photo).
    35cb1120d5a90fe6a2c248399c49335f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    It's hard to get a number because barrel parts are getting hard to find. Most of the other parts can be found at Carolina shooters. Plus the cost of having it done.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    A quality conversion will likely cost $600-800 (labor and finish work) plus the cost of the base rifle and conversion parts, so roughly $1500-2000 total would be my best guess depending on parts selection and how far you want to take the conversion. I would reach out to Mesa Kinetic in Gonzales and talk to Vincent.

For the record the price on the Saiga isn't bad, and it's a pretty rare find at this point. It's just an expensive time to build AKs.

Csparnecht

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    metairie
    Honestly you can do it yourself with common tools and a dremel. I have a saiga 308 that I converted myself and it took roughly 2-3 hours. The bottom of the receiver will look unfiinished once you are done, but you can either paint your gun or just leave it depending on your personal preference.

D_behrnes

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    Zachary
    You can get the conversion kit for 100 or so dollars and it only takes about an hour or two to do it. I’ve done it and my only complaint was when you move the trigger the receiver looks unfinished because there’s a hole on the bottom where the trigger used to go. Nothing major but worth noting. If you want a muzzle device you will either have to get a new barrel or cut the shroud off the end of the barrel and thread the actual barrel that’s underneath(which is not fun at all)

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    Damn I went to go look at it and it was a 12 guage.my mistake,i automatically assumed it was a 7.62x39..and hes asking $950.
    I'm gonna do a bit more research and see what's up.i still kind of want it.

Do It...

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Picked it up today and i will be heading out to the shooting range tommorow..I was able to get it for 850 OTD,not a smoking deal but better than paying 950 plus tax for it.
    1c8fa5a3eaecc5928daf94a4841bdd90.jpg

Nice man! They are fun as hell. Just a heads up, they can be finicky until you find the shells they like and tune them up a bit. If you have problems shooting weaker low brass loads, try some high brass shells. I had a love/hate relationship with mine, took a good bit of trial and error to get running right with low brass. After that it was rock solid though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nice man! They are fun as hell. Just a heads up, they can be finicky until you find the shells they like and tune them up a bit. If you have problems shooting weaker low brass loads, try some high brass shells. I had a love/hate relationship with mine, took a good bit of trial and error to get running right with low brass. After that it was rock solid though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks for the tips bro..I do plan on shooting it as is now but eventually I'll start buying the conversion parts for it..Ive watched videos on how to do it,seems simple but I'm thinking about looking for a gunsmith or someone who has tons of experience with these shotguns to do the conversion and also go over the gasports,possibly drill another gas port hole like I've been seeing guys on youtube doing,for extra reliability..

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom