Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Saiga Ak conversion question

Hey everyone,I know someone who has a Russian Saiga 7.62x39 for sale and I'm thinking of picking it up..

I don't know much about them but the one he has I guess is the "unconverted" style..

I want to know about how much would it cost to convert it to move the trigger forward and make it accept an Ak stock and accept Ak-47 mags?..also if y'all know anyone in louisiana that is capable of converting it,if not I'm open to sending it off out of state to have the conversion done .

I just want to see if it's worth getting it or not because he wants $850 for it as-is..

This is how it currently looks(stock photo).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Redneck with a gun!

User Info Menu

It's hard to get a number because barrel parts are getting hard to find. Most of the other parts can be found at Carolina shooters. Plus the cost of having it done.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

A quality conversion will likely cost $600-800 (labor and finish work) plus the cost of the base rifle and conversion parts, so roughly $1500-2000 total would be my best guess depending on parts selection and how far you want to take the conversion. I would reach out to Mesa Kinetic in Gonzales and talk to Vincent.

For the record the price on the Saiga isn't bad, and it's a pretty rare find at this point. It's just an expensive time to build AKs.

On Target

User Info Menu

Honestly you can do it yourself with common tools and a dremel. I have a saiga 308 that I converted myself and it took roughly 2-3 hours. The bottom of the receiver will look unfiinished once you are done, but you can either paint your gun or just leave it depending on your personal preference.

Marksman

User Info Menu

You can get the conversion kit for 100 or so dollars and it only takes about an hour or two to do it. I’ve done it and my only complaint was when you move the trigger the receiver looks unfinished because there’s a hole on the bottom where the trigger used to go. Nothing major but worth noting. If you want a muzzle device you will either have to get a new barrel or cut the shroud off the end of the barrel and thread the actual barrel that’s underneath(which is not fun at all)

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom

User Info Menu

You're considering butchering a Russian SKS?

Here's your sign.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin

Redneck with a gun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBMJR1 View Post

Here's your sign.
    That's not an sks.

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK shooter View Post
    That's not an sks.
    My apologies.

I thought I read SKS.

Long night tending the generator last night.

Carry on
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBMJR1 View Post

Here's your sign.
    No, but at this point butchering a virgin Saiga is worse than butchering an SKS lol

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks y'all..I think I'm just going to buy it and put it up for now.. might shoot it from time to time as-is but I feel like I should buy it or else I'll regret passing on it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk