Knife steel info

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I found the site below when doing a bit of research about some of the steel used in ZT knives.

Learned quite a bit with a bit of info overload. I go back and read it in small portions, seems easier to digest that way.

If you like to geek out on a topic this ones on blade steel

http://knifesteelnerds.com/

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Larrin is, arguably, one of the best sources for info on knife steels. But don’t get too hung up on steels. 99.9% of us couldn’t use them to their differences in many cases.

I’ve got so many different steels. Everyone is *geeking out* over a few new ones, or think m390 or *better* is all they can use. I’ve got two knives in s30v, properly heat treated and sharpened and they are better than about anything else ive ever used.

Knife steel is fun though!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Larrin is, arguably, one of the best sources for info on knife steels. But don’t get too hung up on steels. 99.9% of us couldn’t use them to their differences in many cases.

Absolute truth!

3V and the other super steels are awesome, but completely unnecessary for most use cases. I’m happy with my 154CM folding knives and the O1 and A2 fixed blades that I use most often. Easy to sharpen and plenty strong for my needs.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

I’ve got so many different steels. Everyone is *geeking out* over a few new ones, or think m390 or *better* is all they can use. I’ve got two knives in s30v, properly heat treated and sharpened and they are better than about anything else ive ever used.

Knife steel is fun though!

Not to mention trying to sharpen some of the new super steels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Properly heat treated s30v is my absolute favorite. I have a D2 by a local guy that pretty awesome too. 154cm is awesome, but I have found I prefer powdered metal steels a little more. CPM154, s30v both awesome in that category. I also love 1095 and some of its variants too. Not picky long as it isn’t soft lol

I use a gatco diamond guided rod and pretty much have no problems.

sphill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Leesville, LA
    None of the latest "super steels" are difficult to sharpen. Then again I have the Wicked Edge Pro3, Edge Pro Apex, and TSprof Kadet.

Even s90v, MagnaCut, etc get sharpened pretty quickly on those systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom