Beretta APX

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Just wanted to bring up this pistol and maybe introduce some here too it. The handful of people I’ve spoken to about this pistol either didn’t know what it was or made the decision they were not interested in it without ever shooting or holding one.

The APX was Beretta’s entry for XM17 modular handgun system. For those who don’t know what XM17 is also it was the US Military’s competition with several major firearm manufacturers to replace the M9 service pistol. The real winner in this was us the consumers because we now have available pistols from Glock, Sig, Smith, and Beretta to name a few that were under construction for 5+ years and now available on the market battle ready. Basically the manufacturers would submit a version of the gun. A committee of spec warfare guys would review the guns and then send them back to the manufactures with suggestions on things they liked and wanted to keep and things they wanted changed.

I admittedly had no clue what the apx was just a couple months ago. I stopped in my local FFL that I frequent and told one of the guys I was looking to buy another full size 9mm. He recommended the apx amongst a couple others they had on hand. I knew I wanted the apx the minute I held it and even more so after I went home and did some research on it and watched a couple of YouTube reviews and torture test.

After getting a chance to shoot the apx at one of my local gun ranges I fell in love with the platform. I function checked mine running a couple of magazines through it then rented one that they had as a rental so I could dirty up their gun and not have to take mine home to clean it lol. The three people I’ve introduced the apx too and recommended they go to the range and rent one out too shoot all also now own one. Am I missing something here about this gun or did Beretta just completely drop the ball on marketing one of the best full sized 9mm on the market imo?

I pulled some info from it off of Beretta’s website that I’ll paste right here:

The addition of the new APX semiautomatic pistol completes the full size pistol portfolio and makes Beretta one of the few manufacturers to offer full size polymer and metallic framed handguns in both hammer and striker fired operating systems.
    Designed specifically for military and law enforcement operators, the APX has been put through extensive testing and evaluation at the professional end user level. The result is a pistol that delivers superior performance in durability and reliability, ergonomics, trigger, and modularity. Utilizing a removable, serialized chassis frame, the APX can be easily modified with replaceable grip frame housings and is simple to disassemble and maintain.
    Each APX comes with 3 interchangeable back straps so users can best fit their hands and preferences. The APX’s aggressive full length slide serrations make slide manipulations easy under any conditions. To accommodate right or left-handed use, the APX’s magazine release button can be easily reversed, and the slide stop is ambidextrous.
    The APX’s trigger breaks at 6lbs and has a clear tactile and audible very short reset. The APX truly is the ultimate striker fired pistol from Beretta.

ActionStriker-firedStriker-fired
    Barrel length (mm)108108
    Barrel length (in)4.254.25
    Caliber9mm.40 S&W
    Magazine1715
    Overall height (mm)142142
    Overall height (in)5.65.6
    Overall length (mm)190190
    Overall length (in)7.557.55
    Overall width (mm)3333
    Overall width (in)1.31.3
    Weight unloaded (g)800820
    Weight unloaded (OZ)28.2428.92

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    You're not missing anything, Beretta scored a few big time European Police Contracts with the APX. Maybe they didn't market it quite as much in the US, but it is certainly a known winner around the world. It is definitely another great firearm from the world's oldest firearms manufacturer! The APX Compact and the APX Carry model are also very nice carry options as well.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    I've owned the Beretta APX full size, Centurion, the Sig Sauer P320, Glock 19x, and FN 509 series, and I have to say that I actually liked the feel of the Beretta APX the best. It felt great in the hand. Accuracy was great with all the above guns, and I actually liked the trigger of the APX over the 509 and P320. I'm still not sure why the APX doesn't get as much love as the other guns here in the USA. I think the APX is the most under-rated 9mm striker fired gun out there.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Reads like a Beretta Commercial.
    After I posted this and read over it I thought the same thing lol. I said to myself man Beretta should cut me a check for this one haha. I will say though it’s simply my honest opinion and it’s not that often that I buy a gun or shoot a gun that I’m this impressed with.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I've owned the Beretta APX full size, Centurion, the Sig Sauer P320, Glock 19x, and FN 509 series, and I have to say that I actually liked the feel of the Beretta APX the best. It felt great in the hand. Accuracy was great with all the above guns, and I actually liked the trigger of the APX over the 509 and P320. I'm still not sure why the APX doesn't get as much love as the other guns here in the USA. I think the APX is the most under-rated 9mm striker fired gun out there.
    I would definitely agree with all of the above. I own some of what are considered the best full sized striker fired 9mm pistols and out of all of them I now prefer the apx. The way the gun feels in my hand is almost like it was made specifically for me.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I bet they’re awesome. It’s just the looks I didn’t like. I know that’s weird for a gun. Everyone says their great and they were $299 a while ago

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I think the APX is the most under-rated 9mm striker fired gun out there.

That and the Walther PPQ M2. Both very under-rated. The absolute best from-the-factory striker fired stock trigger on the market is on the Walther PPQ M2.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I bet they’re awesome. It’s just the looks I didn’t like. I know that’s weird for a gun. Everyone says their great and they were $299 a while ago

Yea that’s crazy man I heard they started around $300, went up to $400, and now I’m seeing them listed for $550 or so. From what I was able to gather the reason they were originally sold so cheap is because Beretta produced so many of them anticipating winning the contract. I’m not sure that’s true or even a good reason to sell a gun for half the price of what it’s actually worth.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Why is the APX carry terrible?

A friend of mine got one in for T&E. We went out to the range and put some rounds through it. Fired CCI 115 gr Blazer Brass, Speer Lawman 124 gr, and Federal HST 124 gr +P. My initial complaints were that it was very large for what it is. It is either a 6 round or 8 round capacity, so to be fair it should be compared with the Glock 43 and S&W Shield. It's much larger than both and it's equal in height to the G43X (which has a 10 round capacity). The slide serrations, if you even want to call them that, are very large and obnoxious. It's not much of an issue on the larger APX, but with the APX Carry being so small, I had to tuck my thumb so it didn't protrude beyond the muzzle. This lead to my knuckle being hit by the slide serrations. With 115 gr ball it wasn't terrible to shoot, but shooting any duty/carry ammunition was unpleasant. Again, it's something expected from a small firearm, but the S&W Shield, G43, and G43X are much easier to shoot, which means faster follow up shots. Shooting HST 124 gr +P launched fireballs down range.

20190415_114855-01-1.jpg

50611327691_5f7827fbea_c.jpg

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Picked up a full size APX today at Cabela's and went straight to FRC. Love the trigger, shoots real smooth and it fits my hand well. Definitely a great buy for the money. Not sure why anyone would consider buying a comparable Glock when they can get the APX much cheaper.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Picked up a full size APX today at Cabela's and went straight to FRC. Love the trigger, shoots real smooth and it fits my hand well. Definitely a great buy for the money. Not sure why anyone would consider buying a comparable Glock when they can get the APX much cheaper.

OTD Price?

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    OTD Price?
    With time and initial excitement over the pistol I said I’d take it over my Glock 17. Looking back I’d definitely keep my 17 over the apx for a handful of reasons but that still doesn’t take away from how I feel about the apx. Aftermarket support would be my biggest complaint. I can walk into any gun store right now and likely find Glock 17 magazines as well as magpul 17 round Glock magazines. If I want magazines for the apx I’d have to order them. I don’t think it’s just a good buy because you can get it under $500, I think it’s a good buy because it’s a great gun. Huge difference between cheap and inexpensive imo.

quted the wrong person, I was trying to respond to where is it’s last post.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom