Pop-Up Trailer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Hey dudes... does anyone around here own a pop-up trailer that they'd be open to renting me for a few weeks?

Need to head back up to see the family in the pacific north-wet, wanting make a road trip out of it and see some of the country. I've been told that a pop-up is the best way to go (thanks for the insights Bangswitch) so looking for something small maybe around 16' that I could tow behind the Jeep without doubling my road time. We'd prob be sleeping 2-3 nights in it each direction and parking it for 7-10 days in the middle.

We're looking to roll for about two weeks either middle of December or early January. If you've got something parked on the lawn and want to make a few bucks off me, lemme know!

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    The crapper and shower part is going to complicate things . They exist , but not as common . Find a campground with a nice bath house and you'll be better off .

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    The crapper and shower part is going to complicate things . They exist , but not as common . Find a campground with a nice bath house and you'll be better off .

That's a good point. Expanding the search, thanks for the tip. I'm obviously new to this whole thing... just trying to make things as comfortable for the missus as possible (which, in turn, means less nagging in my direction LOL).

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Most insurance companies have a clause that if the trailer is rented out there is no coverage.

Second problem, and the reason I don't have a jeep (damnit)... the weight limitation is max 3500. My popup is 2300 pounds empty (12' box but not a highwall). That's dry, empty, no propane, no food, water (which is heavy), and without the probably 150 pound AC system. On top of that max tongue weight is 350 on a jeep. My camper tongue weight is over 400, and with the front rack loaded probably pushing 600. You're going into mountains and ice with the front end light? Nope.

Gas mileage on a jeep isn't good to begin with. Add a camper that is 2' wider than your jeep? You'll be stopping for gas a lot. Oh, and you won't be able to see around the camper to change lanes and backing in sucks.

So you're limited to a tiny popup, an Aliner, or a T@B or teardrop. Why bother? So, how about a harbor freight utility trailer and a nice tent? And to be honest, if it were me, and I was going that far, I'd bring just a tent and leave my camper home. Setting up the popup for a single night is an hour of work, and a pain in the dark or rain. Set up the tent on the bed of the utility trailer to get off the wet ground. Cut a tarp to fit and put it as a rain tarp on poles at the corners of the trailer...

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I second this for sure. I have a pickup with a shell setup for sleeping so the wife can be comfortable. I use a small trailer to pull my 4 wheeler anyway. Just back it off, slap the tent and an awning over top for me and the dog. Everyone’s a happy camper. Plenty options for storage, easy and quick, and a 4 wheeler is great for short runs without breaking camp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Pack up your Jeep and make hotel reservations. The misses will be proud of you.

HAHA Believe me we'd both be thanking me... I liked camping in my 20's, but I am now old and sore and like fluffy hotel beds. The whole point of driving/camping rather than flying or doing hotels is to avoid exposure to COVID on the way up, otherwise we'd have to quarantine from my whole family for 10 days or whatever once we got there to be safe. My folks aren't spring chickens and my grandma is pushing 100, so I'm not about to put anyone at risk. Figured doing the camper thing would be the easy workaround.

@LACamper speaks wisdom though and a brings up bunch of things I hadn't considered. AirBNB's are sounding a helluva lot more attractive the more I learn about tugging a camper around.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    @LACamper speaks wisdom though and a brings up bunch of things I hadn't considered. AirBNB's are sounding a helluva lot more attractive the more I learn about tugging a camper around.

I looked into doing a pop-up. I ended up realizing that to make it comfortable and workable, I'd need something much, much larger. AirBNB and hotels ended up being cheaper and more comfortable.

And if you're pulling it with a Wrangler? Forget it. You'd need to have a thimble-sized trailer to make that trip comfortable.

Mike

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Most pop ups are fine. We had them when I was a kid and traveled the country on vacation. Only advice I can give is if you buy one be wary of Coleman. I bought one and the top kept crumbling, and found out later they recalled a lot of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I like your enthusiasm but at my age this is more appealing. Hope it works out for you.
    i-S6hVLxK-M.png

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Renting a motorhome may be a good idea. Many of the smaller ones get 12-16mpg they have better facilities and can be utilized while under way (probably better to at least pull off) if you so chose. You’ll burn the same amount of fuel pulling the pop up and add extra wear and tear to your Jeep. Liked we discussed before you can pull a pop up just fine but you will want to break it up to let the Jeep catch a break. The coaches on the other hand are made to drive until you need gas and go some more. Some are unbelievably nice on the inside and if your lady will drive a bit the trip could be pretty relaxing.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Renting a motorhome may be a good idea. Many of the smaller ones get 12-16mpg they have better facilities and can be utilized while under way (probably better to at least pull off) if you so chose. You’ll burn the same amount of fuel pulling the pop up and add extra wear and tear to your Jeep. Liked we discussed before you can pull a pop up just fine but you will want to break it up to let the Jeep catch a break. The coaches on the other hand are made to drive until you need gas and go some more. Some are unbelievably nice on the inside and if your lady will drive a bit the trip could be pretty relaxing.

The problem with motorhomes is that when you get there you need a vehicle to run around in. It's hard to go grab lunch, run to the store, etc. in a motorhome! So now you need to rent a car when you get there, or flat tow the jeep (which takes wiring and
    towbar setup and a brake controller).

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom