Pro/cons to an AR billet lower?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    For the average shooter, it’s irrelevant.

Billet is more costly, but allows for more features.
    Forged is inherently stronger and cheaper to produce.

You get what you pay for regardless if you choose billet or forged. Finishing machining and better quality control is what matters.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I am looking at buying a AR stripped lower, but being this one is billet I am hesitant to buy it. Can anyone tell me the pros vs cons to billet vs forged?

Consider this, the market of AR15 billet lower receivers came about because machine shops now have CNC machines, code, and a block of aluminum. Before widespread use of CNC machines, billet AR15 receivers just did not exist. Billet receivers are typically slightly bulkier and heavier than a forged receiver. Billet receivers allow shops to get creative, add their own unique aesthetics or features.

A forged receiver is stronger than a billet receiver. Colt and FN America still employ to this day forged receivers to supply US military M4 rifles. Colt has been supplying rifles for the US military for some 55 years. To this day, Colt does not manufacture a 5.56 rifle with a billet aluminum lower receiver, neither does FN.

"Due to the CNC’s ability to machine billet aluminum into designated shapes, billet lower receivers are considered the most aesthetic. While one-piece trigger guards, fine lines and geometric designs do little for overall performance, some AR builders consider these to be bonus features when considering the overall look of their AR build."

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/08/ar...t-vs-billet-vs-forged-aluminum/#axzz6e6Jc8FHP

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Get both??

Or the best of both worlds. I have a Noveske Gen 2 lower, which is flared like the gen 3 and is forged. I also have the gen 3 which looks similar but is billet, and I have the gen 1 which is a standard forged lower with VERY tight tolerances (probably one of my most accurate AR's). Also my Zev lower (forged not billet) is just as tight as my Noveske gen 1.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Lol, I thought we just did this.
    The other pro is certain pin and detent holes can be threaded on a billet receiver, making it easier to assemble (bolt release pin and rear takedown pin spring and detent hole) but Aero forged lowers also practice this and have build kits that support the feature.
    Yes, forged are stronger but I’ve never broken either.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Think I may get one then. Not too worried about breaking it, but was wondering more of accuracy and fit being equal to forged. Also durability.

You’re not going to see any performance gains simply because it’s billet.

There are plenty well made forged receivers that will handle the task. Stick with quality parts and you will be happy.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I don't know about you guys, but I only buy blem receivers from reputable mfgs like PSA. Anything else just seems like throwing money away.

I had a billet receiver once, might have been Black Rain mfg? In all honesty I could not see any difference in the size of the trigger opening or the threads on the grip boss. I tried, I really did. No 2 dollar sandwich batteries for me.

But it did look nice, and when the chips are down and your back is against a wall, a good looking gun will go a long way to making you feel better about the situation. Pride of ownership is key.

Top Bottom