.38 in 9mm Question?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Oldies but goodies.

Attachments

• 20201118_084140.jpg
      20201118_084140.jpg
      233.5 KB · Views: 106

Beau Etienne

Take a Card. Any Card.
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    I would be skeptical in a semi-auto.
    While Ruger will let you fire nines in a 357 revolver, the barrel is a 357/38 barrel.
    I wouldn't do 38s in a nine barrel, but hey, it would probably work. Feeding would probably suck and over-pressure probably, too, but how much? People have done wilder things.
    I'm curious. Please post with your one good hand afterwards :run::run::)

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Cast lead bullets for 9mm are better at .356-.358

If you’re loading jacketed they should be .355/9mm

.354 jacketed may do ok but .352 may cause some anomalies, especially in auto pistols.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    While Ruger will let you fire nines in a 357 revolver, the barrel is a 357/38 barrel.
    I wouldn't do 38s in a nine barrel, but hey, it would probably work. Feeding would probably suck and over-pressure probably, too, but how much? People have done wilder things.

Oh,It gets wilder...Like I have some once fired,Berm recovered,Resized 115 gr.Jacked projectiles,

I'm thinking about trying a few...Stay tuned for lets count Gators fingers? :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh,It gets wilder...Like I have some once fired,Berm recovered,Resized 115 gr.Jacked projectiles,

I'm thinking about trying a few...Stay tuned for lets count Gators fingers? :rofl:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I have a Walther P-38 from WWII era that will feed anything , even cast lead SWC's . It's favorite cast bullet is from a Lee 358-105-SWC mould ...go figure that !
    The Speer bullets look promising . Why didn't you take a bullet from each box out so we could see them . You will need to load some , I load some dummy rounds to check if they will hand cycle , seating depth is tricky and passing the plunk test is critical .
    Compact and new 9mm's are finicky about feeding as are P08 Lugers .
    Full size Beretta's , Browning HP's and Walther P-38's stand a better chance .
    But as you know ...each pistol is a law unto itself !
    Good Luck,
    Gary

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    I've been using 0.357" bullets in all my 9x19s for about 45 years. Folks were using 0.357" bullets before I ever came along. In the 70s, there were virtually NO 0.355" bullets even being produced, much less available at the LGS.
    All you do is find the COL that feeds and chambers and then work up the load from the start load--just like EVERY other bullet.
    Never had any .38 bullets that small in diameter. Are they plated? That small, they may just tumble/keyhole.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My wife and kids shot plenty of those yellow 125 Grain as 38spl on my 6 inch model 19 S&W many years,ago.
    I loaded some up right before Katrina in 9mm and my son and I as,well as,his buddies shot tgem out various S&W 3rd,gen guns. They eat anything. The all steel ones are bricks
    In fact I just bought a new old stock 60 plus year old Ideal or Lyman 38 Super / 9mm one that is that same flat point style to recreate what we used to shoot.
    I have a heavy one that is 125-128 and ,lighter one that is 95-100
    Main use will be super light 9mm revolver loads on a 5.5 inch Ruger Bisley Black Hawk 9mm / .357
    What can I say I am different.
    Back when I was,shooting 3 to 4 times a,week indoor I made up lots of kid and lady powdered ammo that was just plain fun even the He-Man,s at the range loved.
    Kinda like shooting 22WMR but with more ump. With free lead 2 to 3 cent primers and kegs of old Red Dot or whatvever bulk shotgun was free or cheap.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    If you're really this bored, I have a couple thou .30 Carb brass that need trimming.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    My wife and kids shot plenty of those yellow 125 Grain as 38spl on my 6 inch model 19 S&W many years,ago.
    I loaded some up right before Katrina in 9mm and my son and I as,well as,his buddies shot tgem out various S&W 3rd,gen guns. They eat anything. The all steel ones are bricks
    In fact I just bought a new old stock 60 plus year old Ideal or Lyman 38 Super / 9mm one that is that same flat point style to recreate what we used to shoot.
    I have a heavy one that is 125-128 and ,lighter one that is 95-100
    Main use will be super light 9mm revolver loads on a 5.5 inch Ruger Bisley Black Hawk 9mm / .357
    What can I say I am different.
    Back when I was,shooting 3 to 4 times a,week indoor I made up lots of kid and lady powdered ammo that was just plain fun even the He-Man,s at the range loved.
    Kinda like shooting 22WMR but with more ump. With free lead 2 to 3 cent primers and kegs of old Red Dot or whatvever bulk shotgun was free or cheap.
    Thanks man,Appreciate the info

If you're really this bored, I have a couple thou .30 Carb brass that need trimming.

That stuff there has to be precision,To me 30 cal is the biggest pain in the hee-haw to reload...Unless there's something else out there?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Thanks man,Appreciate the info

That stuff there has to be precision,To me 30 cal is the biggest pain in the hee-haw to reload...Unless there's something else out there?

I'd rather load .30 Carb than any bottle neck rifle cartridge.

I hate reloading 5.56 and only do it because it's impossible to buy at a reasonable price. That, and I bought 10K M855 pulled projectiles dirt cheap last year.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I'd rather load .30 Carb than any bottle neck rifle cartridge.

I hate reloading 5.56 and only do it because it's impossible to buy at a reasonable price. That, and I bought 10K M855 pulled projectiles dirt cheap last year.

That and 300 BO,Very weak neck and easily wrinkles on you,There's another reloader on here that refuses to trim to length the 5.56,Runs em' how they come out with no problems....wild !

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    That and 300 BO,Very weak neck and easily wrinkles on you,There's another reloader on here that refuses to trim to length the 5.56,Runs em' how they come out with no problems....wild !

I don't have an issue with .300 AAC, but of course I don't crimp them either. My rifle is a H&R .300 AAC so setback is no concern.
    I don't have that luxury for 5.56 as I shoot that out of bottom feeders.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I don't have an issue with .300 AAC, but of course I don't crimp them either. My rifle is a H&R .300 AAC so setback is no concern.
    I don't have that luxury for 5.56 as I shoot that out of bottom feeders.

I don't crimp 300's either,What I do is remove the .308 decapper with the neck resizer and simple replace with the .223 decapping pin and shaft,Very tight projectiles then,No crimp is needed !

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I've been busy with .45 acp this week.

IMG_1183.JPG

I bought myself a new 1911 for my B-Day, only to discover I had shot up all of my ammo except what I had loaded in magazines.

I hope JMB will forgive me for running out of forty-fives.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Years ago my Cabelas points bought me a TCBS powdered trimmer that does the work.
    Has a,quick head that just holds all sizes.
    So set length and put them in.

Top Bottom