Handgun hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I am starting to get into hunting this year. I have a 10.5*300 blackout ar pistol. Is this something that I could use on a deer during rifle season?

Sure. I have a 6" 300 Blackout Pistol that I have killed hogs with. I dont know what kind of velocity loss you would have at distance but I would say for sure anything 50 yards and under. I have not shot any hogs over 50 yards yet.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Have killed deer and even hogs with 300 BLK AR out to 100 yds or so. Dropped one 320lb hog at 130 but that was likely a matter of better than normal shot placement and star alignment. Be aware of the round’s capabilities, aim small, and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Handgun hunting for me is a S&W 29-3 in 44 mag with an 8 inch barrel, with or without a red dot.
    Pistol hunting (if you’re talking about a rifle based pistol) is a different animal altogether IMO. It’s the difference between a bow and crossbow when someone says they bow hunt. Again, my opinion. I’ve been known to bag my limit of squirrels with a Ruger 22/45 and while I’m sure I could do the same with a charger, I don’t consider that handgun hunting.
    Anyway, for less money, a good bolt action .300 BLK rifle with a threaded barrel is the way to go. Whisper quiet with subs and suppressor, load your own for better range without worrying about what will and won’t cycle, better accuracy overall. I did the 10 inch barrel AR route and it worked, just not as well.

Charliehorse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2020
    Boyce, Louisiana
    Is there any legalities that I need to be aware of before bringing it in the wood or is it just like bringing a rifle?

More specifically is there a certain time that I can hunt with an ar pistol or is it just during regular rifle season?

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    For all intents and purposes where the law is concerned for hunting, it’s a rifle using rifle caliber ammo. Magazine capacity would be about the only technicality that might come into play on a hunt.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Know your drop use super sonics not subs. Aim small miss small. Inside 100 yards it will work but there are better choices. If you bother to buy one of the cheap bolt guns get something short action or long don’t waste your time with mini actions for deer hunting if you are buying a gun for that specific purpose.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    My daughter killed her first 2 deer with a 10.3* 300BO SBR. 100-125 yards is about you can count on, IIRC it’s just shy of the energy of a .30-30 but with better bullet options.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    99.9% of my hunting is now subsoinc.... every now in then i sneak in a supersonic .308 suppressed..... never had a issue under 125yrds with the following subsoincs .308, .44mag, 45-70... most of the time the deer and hogs run off like being stuck with a really sharp arrow... so quiet and they run about 30 yrds and start getting weak at the knees... absolutly nothing wrong with subsonic hunting fellas... again shot placement is key as said above... a .30 cal or bigger hole through the vitals with a entrance and exit will do the job and leave blood... Dont even get me excited about my expandable 300gr subsonic 45-70 blood trails :eek3:

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I’m just gonna drop this here
    image0.jpg

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    My daughter killed her first 2 deer with a 10.3* 300BO SBR. 100-125 yards is about you can count on, IIRC it’s just shy of the energy of a .30-30 but with better bullet options.

this.
    there are a ton of good options out there for this round both to hand load and factory options.
    just dont try using a supersonic designed projectile subsonic, or vice versa, or they may not operate as designed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom