legal length?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swampman1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    south La.
    What is the legal length of a DB shotgun in Louisiana? I remember seeing one probably 30 yrs ago at Lafayette shooters and I think it was either 18 or 20 inches. And I'm assuming the legal length would be the same for pump?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    18 inches minimum. Most security barrel shotguns start at 18.5 inches to be sure.
    The new ‘not a guns’ or Shockwave, Tac models, etc have a minimum length end to end so they allow for a shorter barrel (14 in iirc)

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    OK thanks guys. Has anyone seen one of these in any retail outlets lately?
    They are here and there. They’re called the Joe Biden special.

Seriously, I have a couple of the Stoeger coach guns and they’re about the best bang for the buck. The 20 ga is really sweet if you wanna shoot a lot. The 12 has a predictable irritating recoil after a couple boxes. Both have served me well.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I think La is 20: Fed limit is 18"

Louisiana follows Federal law in regards to length.

http://www.legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?d=97848

PART II. REGISTRATION

§1781. Definitions

For the purpose of this Part, the following terms have the meanings ascribed to them in this Section:

(1) "Dealer" means any person not a manufacturer or importer engaged in this state in the business of selling any firearm. The term includes wholesalers, pawnbrokers, and other persons dealing in used firearms.

(2) "Department" means the Department of Public Safety.

(3) "Firearm" means a shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length; a rifle having a barrel of less than sixteen inches in length; any weapon made from either a rifle or a shotgun if said weapon has been modified to have an overall length of less than twenty-six inches; any other firearm, pistol, revolver, or shotgun from which the serial number or mark of identification has been obliterated, from which a shot is discharged by an explosive, if that weapon is capable of being concealed on the person; or a machine gun, grenade launcher, flame thrower, bazooka, rocket launcher, excluding black powder weapons, or gas grenade; and includes a muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not the firearm is included within this definition. Pistols and revolvers and those rifles and shotguns which have not previously been defined in this Paragraph as firearms from which serial numbers or marks of identification have not been obliterated are specifically exempt from this definition.

(4) "Importer" means any person who imports or brings into the state any firearm.

(5) "Machine gun" means any weapon, including a submachine gun, which shoots or is designed to shoot automatically more than one shot without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.

(6) "Manufacturer" means any person who is engaged in this state in the manufacture, assembling, alteration, or repair of any firearm.

(7) "Muffler" or "silencer" includes any device for silencing or diminishing the report of any portable weapon such as a rifle, carbine, pistol, revolver, machine gun, submachine gun, shotgun, fowling piece, or other device from which a shot, bullet, or projectile may be discharged by an explosive and is not limited to mufflers and silencers for firearms as defined in this Section.

(8) "Transfer" includes the sale, assignment, pledge, lease, loan, gift, or other disposition of any firearm.

Amended by Acts 1964, No. 51, §1; Acts 1975, No. 381, §1; Acts 1977, No. 532, §1; Acts 1988, No. 424, §1.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Attachments

• BF22540D-3A77-4B60-A60F-410053D25987.png
      BF22540D-3A77-4B60-A60F-410053D25987.png
      80.6 KB · Views: 104
    Last edited:

Forum statistics