Ammo Shortage

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    If you go back through my posts, I never said there was an abundant supply. Prices have risen and supplies are low. Is ammunition still available at *cheaper* prices? Yes, but as I’ve stated, it goes fast.

I would love to be shooting 10,000+ rounds of 9mm per year again, but that’s not happening any time soon. I can’t replenish what stock I have. Shooting 2-300 rounds of 9mm alone weekly was nice. I’m afraid that’s not going to happen again any time soon.

I read your posts, it is not my intent to single out your post only. I am replying to several people who are posting similar things as well. I reply'd to the sig thing just to say that by volume I wouldn't consider them to be a major manufacture. Even if they are making their own primers, I'd be willing to bet it is not worth counting in relation to what CCI or Winchester is turning out.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    I have a friend that is trying to go deer hunting this weekend. They need .270 ammo and cannot find it anywhere. They called about a dozen stores and nobody has anything in stock. I even stopped by a few stores in the Baton Rouge area and could not find anything.

Personally, I have several large rifles with plenty of ammo for them, but I do not loan out my firearms.

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    No doubt, I feel like an idiot not stockpiling more than I did. I mean I stocked up boxes and boxes but if I knew it was going to be like this I'd have stocked cases and cases. At least as an investment. I went to Academy in Covington last week to get some hunting stuff and a new camo jacket, and there was practically NO ammo at all. The only ammo they had was no.4 12 gauge. I think they had a small bit of 20 gauge. They had no pistol or rifle ammo at all, no .22lr even... I think the reason why they still have some guns in stock is because people are realizing its pointless to buy a gun right now unless you already have ammo for it. I have a feeling (conspiracy theory alert) that some of the manufacturers decided to cut off the supply on purpose. I think they saw all these libs/the left rushing to arm themselves and realized it would be better to just cut all supply now. Patriots already got theirs, they aren't going to be hurt by the ammo supply cut as much as the libs.... Which is actually a good thing I guess. If I could get free ammo right now, but every round I got they gave a lib one round too, they can keep that ****! I'm good with what I got lol

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I read your posts, it is not my intent to single out your post only. I am replying to several people who are posting similar things as well. I reply'd to the sig thing just to say that by volume I wouldn't consider them to be a major manufacture. Even if they are making their own primers, I'd be willing to bet it is not worth counting in relation to what CCI or Winchester is turning out.

Understood. In the SSD article they even said it would be years before they catch up and become anything noteworthy. Vista already came out and said they have at least 1 year's worth of backorders. It's gonna be at least 2 years before production even catches up, assuming things begin to settle down at some point.

I stopped back in Academy today to get something I forgot yesterday. Walked back to the gun counter and noticed the price much have changed on the .22lr boxes. It was $29.99 for Remington .22lr 525ct boxes, but still a one box limit per person. I asked the guy about the truck deliveries and he said it's random and usually overnight. They don't know what they are getting until it shows up. The shelf they had was about 4 ft wide and a few rows tall. It had about the same amount of ammo you would find in a small gun shop. Everything out for people to grab is Duck/Turkey loads only and maybe some random hunting rifle calibers.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    No doubt, I feel like an idiot not stockpiling more than I did. I mean I stocked up boxes and boxes but if I knew it was going to be like this I'd have stocked cases and cases. At least as an investment. I went to Academy in Covington last week to get some hunting stuff and a new camo jacket, and there was practically NO ammo at all. The only ammo they had was no.4 12 gauge. I think they had a small bit of 20 gauge. They had no pistol or rifle ammo at all, no .22lr even... I think the reason why they still have some guns in stock is because people are realizing its pointless to buy a gun right now unless you already have ammo for it. I have a feeling (conspiracy theory alert) that some of the manufacturers decided to cut off the supply on purpose. I think they saw all these libs/the left rushing to arm themselves and realized it would be better to just cut all supply now. Patriots already got theirs, they aren't going to be hurt by the ammo supply cut as much as the libs.... Which is actually a good thing I guess. If I could get free ammo right now, but every round I got they gave a lib one round too, they can keep that ****! I'm good with what I got lol

There has been no reduction in ammunition being made at operating factories at this time. Every factory is maxed out on producing all they can.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    If you don't cast bullets and reload your own ammo ... you might want to take up golf ...it's going to be a couple years . You should be able to buy more expensive ammo by 2023 or 2024 ... the price will go up , come down a little and stay higher than what it was ... but you will be able to buy what you want ... I suggest you then become a hoarder and lay in a lifetime supply ... it's going to happen again ... every 4 to 8 years , and you can take that to the bank !
    Gary

I honestly have been shooting factory ammo the last few years, however! I do/can reload, having a good press, dies for all calibers plenty of bullets in most if not all calibers, .22-45(rifle), probably 30,000 primers various types and sizes, 50 lbs of powder, including about 10 lbs of black, and finally probably 300 lbs of lead alloy for casting. I'm getting old, my reloading bench is buried under junk and I have been too lazy to clean up and start reloading. One thing, when I got a new cartridge I always picked up at least 500 rounds of virgin brass, some calibers a lot, more. I got into the 6.5 Grendel about 10-12 years ago when brass was hard to find and very expensive, so got 2000 rounds of IMI 7.62x39, ran it all through the 6.5 Grendel die and have fireformed a few hundred. I also picked up a good supply of 7.5 Swiss Norma brass since the good Swiss GP11 is Berdan primed and hard to reload ( I do have I also have a fair supply of their GP 11 military ammo, 5-6 cases of 480 rounds each, that stuff is literally match grade) I just looked and when it was last available about $300 /case, got mine for well less than half that. Probably 10-12,000rounds of .22LR. My 8 year old grandson was over for Thanksgiving last week and wanted to go shooting, his first time ever and he went through well over a brick over the course of two days.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    I’m 40 years old and never have I seen ammo this scarce! Even with Obama we still had ammo at academy & bass bro!

How bad is this gonna be?!

Panic buying. Load up when you can, there may be a civil war soon. 80,000,000 citizens just lost faith in the election process, they say it only takes 20% of the population to spark a civil war. Some might argue it has already started. Depending on what happens between now and January, will dictate whether things kick off sooner than later. Biden will likely enact tyrannical policy, judging by his cabinet picks, and this would likely have been enough to spark national outrage without a loss of election confidence. I'm hoping President Trump and our elected leadership can ensure election integrity is restored regardless of the outcome. This would go a long way to prevent a war. But given the media's blatant disregard for the loss of election integrity, I do not see a resolution. Make sure you have life support whatever that means to you and your family, it's going to be a rough year.

Last edited:

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    I have been on a wild goose chase for 30-30. Its crazy all the common hunting rounds are all gone. All I have seen on the shelf is .300 winmag considering just buying a new rifle haha why not right?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well, I lucked out and found some .460 S&W Magnum ammo at pre-pandemic prices. Which was still absurdly expensive ... but it means that if a large herd of grizzly bears decides to attack my house, I'll be well armed for it.

Mike

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I have been on a wild goose chase for 30-30. Its crazy all the common hunting rounds are all gone. All I have seen on the shelf is .300 winmag considering just buying a new rifle haha why not right?

I've been considering reloading some,Just dragg'n azz on my part,I think I have some 180 grain round nose LP's

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    I've been considering reloading some,Just dragg'n azz on my part,I think I have some 180 grain round nose LP's
    It's hard to find powder and primers right now. I have a press but my set up is for pistol rounds. I was thinking of the same.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I haven't been following this as closely as I normally would...
    I get the shortage. More shooters, more demand. But I have a question.... Who raised the prices? The stores are charging more. The distributors are charging more. What about the factory? It doesn't cost more to make ammo that I can understand. Labor rates may be a bit higher, sure. But ammo has double to tripled in price. Who's making the money. Where is the money going? I haven't heard of massive stock dividends on gun stocks, have you?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I get the shortage. More shooters, more demand. But I have a question.... Who raised the prices? The stores are charging more. The distributors are charging more. What about the factory? It doesn't cost more to make ammo that I can understand. Labor rates may be a bit higher, sure. But ammo has double to tripled in price. Who's making the money. Where is the money going? I haven't heard of massive stock dividends on gun stocks, have you?

It’s a mix of manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and consumers.

A mix of supply and demand coupled with the production of certain ammo coming to a hault in order to produce ammunition with a higher demand. Manufacturers are running 24/7, but I haven’t heard or read of any major expansions. Federal said they went to three shifts a day in order to keep the line moving non-stop. Then you have distributors who were giving priority to those who paid more. Factor in the dealers bumping prices, because they have to make a profit off of the marked up distributor cost, and now you have second hand prices going through the roof.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    T

RGR normally pays .40 a share on a quarterly basis. Last August, they paid out a special dividend of $5 a share from a surplus of 240 million. In my case, it was enough to get several more shares on my drip(dividend reinvestment program.) Yes, Ruger is one of my best stocks.

Top Bottom